OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013, 00:49 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Over the period 8-10th April, Andrew Rushton - ex England Number 2 and UKCC level 3 coach delivered a 3 day training camp organised by Preston Table Tennis Club. Days 1-2 were for juniors/children. Day 3 was for seniors and our club also ran an open session for children in the afternoon to try out playing table tennis.

I went on the senior training course on the Wednesday. I took one camcorder and a tripod in case Andrew Rushton did any one to one sessions like Desmond Douglas a couple of years ago. I found out on the day he wouldn't be doing this but after Andrew Rushton's explanation and demonstration of the first practice session which was on footwork and how to move, I asked him if I could film his other explanations and demonstrations and put them on our Clubs YouTube channel. To my surprise he agreed - he's making a living out of coaching so in effect he's giving away free coaching in these videos and he didn't know me.

His coaching style was very good, he didn't make you feel like you were useless or wasting his time and he would talk and discuss tactics, technique and his experiences with anyone. A really sound guy with his feet on the ground and I got a lot out of my days training - other than feeling really stiff and tired the next day! :lol:

Hopefully, you'll get something useful out of them too.

Thanks go to Andrew Rushton for agreeing to me filming and posting these videos which in order are:

1. Andrew Rushton: How and Why you play the 3rd ball with heavy spin, setting up your 5th ball attack
2. Andrew Rushton: Two Footwork Exercises to help improve your game
3. Andrew Rushton: How and Why you Serve Short & the Forehand Flick response
4. Andrew Rushton: No Spin and Back Spin Serves and the importance of Disguise
5. Andrew Rushton: Warming Down after a Training Camp Session at Preston Table Tennis Club

Last edited by Debater on 18 Aug 2018, 08:48, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013, 05:03 

Wow, thanks for that Debater...fantastic. He seems like a very nice coach, you are very lucky to meet with someone like him. I liked how you focused on his foot work with the camera, very nice.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013, 05:17 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Thank you. And yes you're right, we were lucky to get him but that was helped by one of our head coaches knowing him. I think the plan is for our league to ask him back sometime later this year for a follow up training camp.

For me footwork is something I'm trying to work on. Unfortunately, the first session was all about how you move and transfer your weight. At that time I hadn't considered filming any of his explanations. I wish I had now as that first session set the basis on which some of the others were built.

But the best thing I got out of the day was the realisation that I tend to skip the ready position - I just go from one shot position straight in to the next and so I'm never really set properly. He helped point that out. Better footwork, better body position = more speed in movement and more time to get in to a better ready position and that will help with better shot making. It all seems to build up on itself. As I've the memory of a goldfish at times, I intend to keep referring back to these videos and practice bits from them when I can.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013, 07:04 

I think getting back to ready is all our problems. Footwork is great but if you don't get back to ready position it doesn't matter. Ready position is great but if you have poor footwork ect ect. I think that was what he was trying to show us. It is the sum of the parts that make the whole.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013, 09:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Those are really good sessions! I like the coach... he speaks and explains very clearly and does well demonstating it as well. I'd certainly be keen to get some coaching from him if he was in my area!
The editing of the video is really good too! The split screen with the text is awesome... I found myself pausing a few times to read the text again.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2013, 04:31 
Super User

Blade: Re-impact Tachi
FH: Palio Thor's
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
Great vids Debater. The Doc (Neubauer) should give you a call the next time he has a rubber out.

Blade: Re-Impact Tachi. BH: Grass DTecS (ox, new version) FH: Palio Thor's max

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 18:36 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Thanks Fish but no one in the "trade" has ever contacted me and on the rare occasions I've approached the "trade" about a video I'm planning or have done for our league, I usually don't get a reply to my enquiries or findings eg a couple of years ago I asked butterfly if they would be interested in supplying some Tenergy for a comparative test with Rakza 7 and got no reply and I contacted Giant Dragon about my findings in the 2.0 vs 2.2mm sponge thickness videos and got no reply.

The only person who has always replied has been Mr. Odd Gustavsen Chairman of the Equipment Committee for the ITTF which is ironic as I'm usually quite critical of what they do or how they test.

Out of interest and for future projects, what did people find worked well/was helpful in these videos and what could be improved on. So far I've got

Liked
- focused on foot work with the camera
- coach... he speaks and explains very clearly and does well demonstating it as well
- use of split screen with text

Constructive criticism is really important for taking forward these types of projects so please don't be shy from saying what you didn't like too. :)

Thanks

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 06:15 
Super User

Blade: Re-impact Tachi
FH: Palio Thor's
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
For being an impromptu setup, it was fantastic.

I didn't really bother reading the words as I could hear Andrew well enough, although a mic on him would allow you to dim any tumultuous backgound sound. But you placed the words well and they were completely unintrusive. A two camera setup would be awesome with the other camera being fixed close behind the feeder so we can see the flight path of ball. Incidentally, I thought it was a great question that was asked regarding tips for the blocker. I realise now that I was always blocking to soon off the bounce.

Blade: Re-Impact Tachi. BH: Grass DTecS (ox, new version) FH: Palio Thor's max

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 20:17 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Thanks for the feedback Fish. I have two wired mic's which are lavalier mic's - ideal for presentations, talking etc but the cables are 6m long and would be a health hazard for someone like Andrew Rushton and the way he moves and talks when demonstrating. Wireless won't give the same quality unless I pay a premium and even then I think in the UK you get into the realms of needing a licence to use them because of the frequency they use. The recent option I've considered is a Rode Shot Gun Mic which is more in my budget but I'd have to stay with the camera to make sure the coach remained the point of focus.

The choice of shot behind the receiver was interesting as opposed to being behind the coach. I'll look into that and practice trying to get the the best height and location of the camera - I not so sure about the player wearing it because to a degree it will flatten the image / trajectory so I might try the camera on the table using a Joby Gorilla Tripod. It could be behind the receiver but filming would have to be very carefully set up so their body didn't block the ball.

Regarding the question about blocking, yes I agree. As someone who used short pips on my backhand I was always under the impression you blocked off the bounce. I got the chance for him to show me what he meant after the exercise was filmed because I just couldn't mentallly accept that as being right. The way he played it, it's almost like a little short jab or punch block mainly using the wrist and he did it very well with short pips - off the top of the bounce. Even more surprising for me was the angled of the bat being more vertical with the top pointing upwards and the arm being extended a fair bit outwards In the past I've always blocked with the bat horizontal to the table and much closer to my body. Definitely something to try and work on off season.

Incidently when I went to our social session on Friday night I went with the intention of trying to put this all into practice. I got sooooo confused trying to remember everything. I think I'm going to have to break it all down into small bite sized chunks - starting with deciding on what my ready position is for my height and build and then moving in and out of it whilst keep my head a similar height.

This game is just so complicated!