OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 10:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 16:51 
Super User

Yes it's a tennis link but some valid points,especially on return of serve,make your opponent play a third ball at least.

http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2013/05/1 ... -out-a-win

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 22:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
mac33 wrote:
Yes it's a tennis link but some valid points,especially on return of serve,make your opponent play a third ball at least.

http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2013/05/1 ... -out-a-win

Good link.

I must add that almost 100% of the time when I am "off my game" it is because I did not warm up good. If I warm up well and am not hurt or sick I play at my current level. I don't think I ever get a really good warm up and then don't play as well as I can. If I am warm and well and things are not working then my opponent is doing something to lower my level.

PostPosted: 15 May 2013, 00:57 
Super User

When I'm off my game or I am losing a match, just like any other sport, it's about adjustments.

I do this intuitively but as I type this out essentially I go through a series of questions to discover the problem.

- Am I losing because I'm off/missing easy shots or because there's a certain pattern of points that keep happening in my opponents favor.

Because this thread is about playing when you're off your game, I'll keep it to that aspect (the former of that 2 part question).

As a penholder when I'm off, 90% of the time is due to playing too passive. Maybe I'm a little tight or don't have enough confidence to return their short serve with a flip when I know I can simply push it as my return. Etc... But overall things go downhill for me if I'm not the aggressor. It's a simple fix. Start playing more aggressive. Go for shots.

An added bonus for me in playing more aggressive is that it generally clears the mind of thoughts which can be your worse enemy when you're off. You always play best when you have a clear mind IMO. You don't think about your stroke, you just do it. So for me it removes indecision.

PostPosted: 15 May 2013, 01:16 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Tips in the article are very, very basic. When you are not playing as well as you should be, then its time to either focus harder and play a tighter game forcing the opponent to earn the win rather than handing it to them (as the article alluded to) if the win is really important. Otherwise, use the game to just go for your shots and see if you can play into rhythm. Its ok if there's nothing really on the line.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 15 May 2013, 11:00 
Super User

At my level, I turned the blade over so the pips are on the fh and played as a lefty. Whatever works at the time if you are losing. High balls instead of short balls, no spin instead of spin, close to table instead of far, direct to the body instead of left or right, lob instead of chop, serve with fh instead of bh, whatever desperation calls for.

PostPosted: 15 May 2013, 12:31 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
The article sums it pretty basic.

Either your off or playing a tight game, it is very important to think each of your move and play it one point at a time. Table tennis has a lot of mental concentration required :lol: