OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 09:29 
Super User

G'day all

First of all, I recently changed to grass dtec 1.2mm sponge and absolutely love it.
After a year of trying different LP rubbers (all in OX) I just fell in love with the grass the first time I glued it up and did my first chop.
I had actually always wanted to use grass dtecs eventually, but was cautious about jumping straight into it after reading how fast and uncontrollable it was. I was pleasantly surprised, however, that my chops were much easier to control, much more consistent, much faster and much spinnier than when using all my previous beginner-friendly LPs.

While I am fairly comfortable chopping when I have an established position far from the table and already have decent backspin on the ball, I still have a big problem with the first push close to the table before backtracking. My opening push (both off the LP BH and inverted FH) tend to be a little too high and too predictable in terms of spin. This is especially a problem against aggressive players who serve, pivot, and get ready to flat hit anything on their FH side. I can lose a depressing number of points in this predictable way without ever getting a chance to get a single chop in.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on how they deal with such opponents both in terms of the tactics, but also the technique for pulling the tactics off (for example, a fast push down the FH line would be perfect given they pivot, but just can't pull it off. I can push down the line but the ball is still hit uppishly and they have plenty of time to attack it).

Speaking of which, what is the secret to fast pushing over the table with LP? My impression is many high level players do it by tilting the edge of their racquet up or down and hitting it right on the tip of their blade - presumably to get the fastest action on the ball. And I assume the key is the bend the pips and brush the ball and not let it sink into the sponge?

Thanks again
PK

Last edited by poor_knight on 06 Jun 2013, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 09:48 
Horse Hockey!

I'm probably not a credible source for advice on this because I have the same problems! :lol:

But I've worked with several different coaches and also just from trial-and-error and the "secret" seems to be that however you hit the ball during a push the racket must be moving at the moment of contact.

I'm not tall so I can't reach into the table like some can. So an opponent drops a short push just over the net and I often have to really reach for it. At the point of contact my arm and blade are as fully extended as possible so the blade is essentially not moving--which is not good since that puts me at the mercy of my opponent. So make sure you are patient and pushing the ball with a moving racket. Even the slightest brush, side swipe or "wrist" chop will make a huge difference close to the table.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 12:14 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I don't think there is a right answe , I think you have to try options such as

a straight up and down bat push
sometimes roll or do a inverted type attack down the line
long to the back hand corner
pivit and return the serve with your forehand
let the serve come to you and chop (that way you are partly back)
twiddle
using your wrist for slice returns
experiment

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 12:40 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Disclaimer: I do not use long pimples, not even on daytime TV.

Having said that there is one word that I would use to you: unpredictability.

The 3rd ball killer, having served in a particular way, is expecting you to return in a particular way. Don't. Well at least until you have determined that it is a winning (or least losing) strategy. Try different things.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 17:00 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I think Rodderz is on to it. You need to make your opponent uncomfortable by varying you returns. Practice returning short no-spin serves by pushing with inverted (twiddle). Also return very short and low with lp, flipping, return with lp vertical an with a short but fast stroke (in order to kill the spin) like Chen W does. Find as many ways as possible, as long as your opponent won't be sure what kind of return he will get.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 20:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Just another tip... if you're going to push it and can't control it well enough... at least push it real deep (and into their weaker side if you can), because anything short that's even slightly too high will often be killed.

If they serve the same thing all the time, flip over to the inverted side and either do a heavy backspin push, or attack it if you can.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013, 01:44 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
haggisv wrote:
if they serve the same thing all the time, flip over to the inverted side and either do a heavy backspin push, or attack it if you can.

Totally agree. It's an acquired skill (one I really haven't mastered) but something worth practising: some opponents, against LP, will repeatedly serve the same no-spin or backspin serve to the pimples. If you can twiddle (even before the serve, just keep bat under the table) and practice a few backhand inverted attacks, you'll find you a) win points and b) shake their whole game plan up.

Obviously it doesn't work as well for more intelligent opponents because they'll vary serve much better, but it's one of those things that can help you to stave off repeated attacks to what your opponent deems a weakness.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013, 03:40 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I think it is time you start practicing impacting the ball earlier to give them less time and give yourself some better angles. You are popping it up higher than you want because your are either mis-reading the spin (will get better as you get better), using the wrong bat angle (you will improve on that with many more reps), or you are trying to do to much with the ball and are pushing things a bit too much. Slow down, move to the ball with a step and look over the ball, take it off the bounce and side swipe it some for added control. You are looking to control height, depth, and placement, the speed of your shot will come with more touch and experience. You control the height and depth by taking it off the bounce and side swipe some at impact with a looser wrist, then you should be bale to make it a LOT more difficult for opponent to open with power.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013, 10:41 
Super User

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions!
I'll try to apply these ideas the next time I find myself in the same boat.

I think I really need to start recording my matches again to see exactly what I am doing (bat angle etc).
Upon reflection I think the main problem is I have not yet acquired a defender's mindset and get easily flustered when I find myself under attack by big hitters.
When someone starts whacking 3rd ball kills at 1000mph, my brain sort of freezes and I just keep feeding him the same ball over and over again.
Also, when under pressure, my BH does tend to degenerate into old inverted habits.