OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 15:23 
Super User

Just a quick question.

I've just started trying to learn the FH chop stroke but have a pretty fast rubber (Donic acuda s3 max).
A defensive chopper at my club uses tackiness chop.

Should I persist and try and learn FH chop with my current rubber (which works very well for my topspin strokes) knowing that once I've mastered it I would be able to play a modern defender style?

Or should I change to a slower FH rubber now? Would changing to a slower FH rubber be a useful stepping stone to faster rubbers once I have my technique down or is it likely to get me more and more dependent on slow rubbers and less likely to ever be able to chop with faster ones?

Thanks!
Pk

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 15:46 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Most allround players that depend on chopping a lot use tackifire or tackiness chop. You can still loop with tackifire. Tensors are not at all easy to chop with and not the right rubber I wouldn't think, sure you CAN chop with them but no one does because its so difficult. There's rubbers similar and cheaper than tackifire that I'm sure other people can recommend.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2013, 01:16 
Super User

I chopped for years with Palio CJ8000 Japanese Sponge on either a Butterfly TBS or Michael Maze and had great success. I found it was very controllable on chops while also being acceptable in offensive strokes.

I recently switched to Xiom Vega Japan 2.0mm and find it performs just as well or better in the FH chops away from the table while also offering better offensive capabilities than the CJ8000. I highly recommend it.

USATT Rating: 2013