OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Pushing with LPs...
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 19:08 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Hi all,

I'd like to know what options I have for varying the spin on pushes with LPs - specifically when my opponent has pushed with backspin to my pimples.

At the moment I can either angle my bat parallel to the net and punch through the ball to take the spin off, or I can angle my bat and push as I would with inverted which appears to primarily return most of my opponent's spin as the opposite spin, i.e. if I'm pushing their backspin push, they'll get topspin.

I've heard in the past that with certain pimples (P1-R for instance) and a certain thickness of sponge you can actually vary these spins.

I'd love any explanation of different techniques to vary the spin on these pushes.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

Post subject: Re: Pushing with LPs...
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 01:24 
Super User

This is a very good thread. This subject was treated in many various posts before... but never in a complete way i feel.

According to what i know:
RUBBERS
LP with good friction allow to change the spin on the ball. Of course more friction = more variation
The most important factor is the sponge: + sponge = + variation. Moreover soft sponge should be better than hard sponge in this.
A flex/soft blade can help a little too

TECNIQUE
I think in order to return back vs back with lp you need the same stroke you use to give the no spin, but if you do it well (and with the proper pimple) you not only succeed in taking off the spin but also in reversing it in the opposite direction.
1) The worst (imho): fast brush under the ball, grasping it with the top of the pips. ABSOLUTELY this works only vs good backspin and i found it to be very inconsistent.
2) The better (the one i think the pro use): brush the back of the ball pushing foreward. This stroke allows to use the sponge and its able to handle (wiith good sensibility) backspins and no spin (against no spin it's harder to create good backspin). In fact is a very "choppy" push. If you look at joo for example you will understand what i mean, just look at how ho goes downwards when he pushes. It is not an easy stroke because you have to read the spin well and brush heavily to obtain the spin, and if you dont the ball goes out because such lps are not slow... but it's also very effective when you can use it because it allows you to change between back and no spin, difficult to read for the opponent. By the way, i think this is also the proper tecnique to push with inverted... with lp you have just to create more friction of your own going more downwards.

Around 0:40 [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL0ApAwAidM[/youtube]

(Also i think with lp in EVERY shot, chop for example, you should almost never just brush the ball, but ALWAYS go foreward to use the rubber... and in general it's true also for inverted i guess...)

It's a so fundamental stroke for a defender... so important that, for example, Leatherback wrote in his blog about the period in china that he knew a trainer who had met joo se hyuk who had explained him he used 1.5/1.7 sponge not because it was better at chopping, but to be able to push backspin (and also attacking...) better at the table!!!

I found this stroke to be pretty good with FII, FIII, P4 and F soft, all in 1.0 mm, but not really easy to control. Of course for every rubber the tecnique is the same, but you have to adjust the angle and the proportion of the foeward and downward movement!
Now with my p1 0.5 i have more control (because it's slower), but the variation is more difficult, i pretty much give no spin all the time and twiddle to create backspin. I only reach some good backspin against a very backspin ball, but very rarely... but at my level it's not such a problem and in some circustances can even be a good thing... most important is to keep the ball low and fast. I plan to try p4 0.5 mm in the future (possibly on a Victas matsushita), because i think would really help the variation and the quality of the pushgame... but of course i don't know if it suits the rest my game well...

Sorry for the long post and the bad english. I hope many can partecipate in the discussion! :)

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

Post subject: Re: Pushing with LPs...
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 05:38 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Thanks Revan, that's an awesome start.

At the moment when I push against backspin I appear to be giving my opponent topspin and nothing else, unless I punch through the ball to take the backspin off.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)