OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 22:25 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Maybe they were playing good cop/bad cop. ;)

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 00:11 
It is illogical to play with a uniform surface!

I nevered called it COACHING..more like helping. I have worked with alot of different people in my many years of playing. Helping ( coaching ) I do enjoy. My approach is looking at a game or training session as a 80-20 rule. years ago i played 90% on one side and 10 % off the other. I trained more on the 10% side and when it made my 90% more like 80% I had better success. I know it is confusing.
Example: When I played with anti, I played a 20% BH game and 80% FH game. I spent more time training my BH to set up my FH side more than just working off my FH. that made my game more dangerous and unpredictible. Ie..looping a dead ball with anti off the FH flip.( off backspin serve ).
Power loops and attacks.
Now i play 80% BH and train mostly with attack and different angle combos off my BH I should spend more time working my FH in training sessions as well.
Teddy is a good example: he has a powerful loop and is developing a strong flip and attack off his BH (long pips) WE might train using different senerios off service. We need to do some multiball drills in the future. He is one of the most improved players at our club in the last few years.
There are many different coaching approaches..some are like drill sargents..others are like parents. the fine line is delevope consistant tools by improving in areas that mistakes are made. building your game around a core value, tracking improvements , and making continuous improvement.

I work as a Quality Tech in Aerospace. I like to use what I have learned in Quality in my game plan. Look at your work skills you have..can you impliment improvement in your game by using any of your skills you have in your job.

Peace GIG
* got to get back to work...planes have to fly

:rock: :party: :Chop:

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon
flaired handle and 90 grams

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 01:35 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
dwruck wrote:
Maybe they were playing good cop/bad cop. ;)

Er...maybe...if so, its only because that's built-in to their personalities though :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 15:31 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Reb you can only judge a coach on how many of his elite student quit table tennis forever before age 21. I'll bet the coach at you club has ten times the amount of those as he has still playing as adults.

To me that's the ultimate failure, not a success. My goal teaching a kid table tennis is to have them show up to pennant every year of their life regardless of the level they achieve. You can only push something a certain amount before it becomes not fun.

You can push just about any kid to national level with enough training but surely you are better off waiting for the talented kid that also has the natural drive and supporting that without being pushy.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2013, 10:21 
Super User

I'm not even sure why I'm posting this but I feel it belongs here.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2013, 16:43 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
timeout wrote:
I'm not even sure why I'm posting this but I feel it belongs here.

Maybe he had an abusive coach as a kid? :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 00:07 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I think determining your approach to coaching should depend on a few factors
1. what type of coaching technique style an individual responds to best
2. their age
3. their targets / timescales for achievement
4. why they play/require coaching

Firstly I think it's the duty of the coach to change their coaching style to match the needs of the person being coached. Simply saying it's my way or the highway, or this is the way I am, take it or leave it is not acceptable unless that's the type of coaching style the person responds to best. If that means the coach has to work outside "their" comfort zone then that's what they should do.

Even after you've identified the best coaching technique/style to adopt (authoritarian, considerative etc etc) you have to consider their age. Child abuse and child protection legislation would preclude screaming, shouting and physically punishing a child. Remember the environment / constraints you must work in.

Some times being all nice and lovely dovey and patient is a luxury a coach can't afford. Immediate changes to technique, or working to short time scales don't always allow you to use coaching methods and styles which require time to embed the desired skills into the person being coached. As a coach you cannot lose focus of what the ultimate goal / aim is.

People generally learn quickest and best when they are having fun. For most of us, we play table tennis because we enjoy it - either because we enjoy competing, winning or just playing, but enjoyment is what's obtained. As a coach, if you can make your coaching sessions fun they'll be much more productive. How you make them fun, will again depend on your target audience.

Ultimately there is no right and wrong coaching method per say - but there is a right and wrong coaching method when referencing an individual and their individual requirements and one job of a good coach is to find out what that coaching method is.