OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 02 May 2024, 14:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Winning pushing rallies
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 01:53 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Any tips / tricks / strategies on winning pushing rallies? I guess just 'variation', but it seems to happen very often to me, and I'd like some weapons up my sleeve.

Relatedly, in my match last night, all three players played very circumspectly, no long topspin shots or loops; all short pushes - I couldn't really get back from the table at all and get in a real chop. Any ideas of how to handle this strategy?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 08:03 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Patience is the key if you want to indulge in pushing rallies. Variation is important. However, if you find that it's not the sort of game you want to play or your opponent is stronger at it than you, then 'don't feed the animals'. What I mean by this is try and avoid serving backspin to get the pushing rally going. Better, perhaps, to serve top or no spin. If you have to push, push, push; target your opponent's forward.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 08:26 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Thanks! I'm cool with patience, and like the mental challenge of out-thinking, out-manouvering the opponent. Of course I'm a novice at it, but I'm happy to persevere.

I remembered that Retriever have me some advice on this last year, when I was just starting out. I reproduce it hear for other people's benefit:

Quote:
In pushing battles, in fact in all defence, variation is the key. Push one with a lot of backspin then push one with almost no backspin and watch it pop up or go long. Push to the backhand, push to the crossover point or elbow, push to the forehand. Push long, push short, push mid. Push with varying amounts of sidespin to curl it in to the body, push with sidespin away wide, push with no sidespin

When you are too close to the table to do a "classical downwards chop", you can always have the bat more open, almost horizontal, and play an almost horizontal stroke, or start downwards and end horizontal. There should be at least a little backspin on the ball coming to you (remember you are in a pushing battle) which should bring it down. Add sidespin to taste."

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 00:40 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
What helps me in pushing rallies:

1) Keep the ball low

2) Make your push either very short or very long. Don't hit the middle of the table.

3) Pushing to the opponent's crossover point is ok, but in my opinion, it's better to hit the extreme sides.

4) Know how to loop a push!

That is the essence of my own pushing philosophy. I'm not the most advanced player here, though, just remember that! :P

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 00:43 
LP Collector
LP Collector

THE GAMEr wrote:

4) Know how to loop a push!

That sounds interesting. How does one go about doing this?

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 10:58 
Super User

To loop backspin, you have to really "lift" the ball; it'll need to be a fairly vertical stroke. Also, I've found that you have to really put some force into it! You can't be super soft with it! And keep your racket angle fairly open.

It might take a while to get this down, but it'll reward you greatly.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 12:35 
Super User

In a match situation I wouldnt loop...too much risk and lots of practice but then again I'm a pushblocker. If you find that the loops are not landing and you are desparate and in dire straights... pick off those bh pushes with your lp. The stroke is like a lift from bottom to top (I like to use my wrist for these) and if they are higher then punch them down with a vertical face perpendicular to table - its as easy as that. Also for variation use a side swipe stroke...trust me it works :up:

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 12:48 
Super User

timeout wrote:
In a match situation I wouldnt loop...too much risk and lots of practice but then again I'm a pushblocker. If you find that the loops are not landing and you are desparate and in dire straights... pick off those bh pushes with your lp. The stroke is like a lift from bottom to top (I like to use my wrist for these) and if they are higher then punch them down with a vertical face perpendicular to table - its as easy as that. Also for variation use a side swipe stroke...trust me it works :up:

For a match, yes, you could play it safer. You may want to practice looping on your Forehand though! I forgot that you had LP on the backhand. I can't help much there, honestly.