OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Kill Shot ADVICE NEEDED!
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 12:53 

Which technique and rubber is best for putting away high kill shots loaded with incoming underspin?

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 15:28 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Can't say what's best Tommy but Rasant works pretty well. As for technique it will depend on where the ball is but in general I'd take it at a comfortable height a bit above shoulder height and a bit of wrist snap into the ball.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 16:27 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Just use your regular smash technique but open your blade up to the appropriate angle (depending on how much backspin is on the ball).

It is a flat stroke so the rubber you use is really unimportant.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 19:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Some rubbers bottom out real easy, so you can hit straight through and require little adjustment for spin, but some of the firm rubbers do require quite some adjustment for spin.
If it's real high, I tend to hit it as hard as I can, as the rubber effect is less. I'd like to hear carbonman's thoughts on this though...as it may not be the best option.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 19:42 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

haggisv wrote:
If it's real high, I tend to hit it as hard as I can, as the rubber effect is less. I'd like to hear carbonman's thoughts on this though...

Yes I agree. Hit hard and flat against a high backspin ball and it really doesn't matter what rubber you use (although you could argue that SP or thin sponge makes the task fractionally easier).

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 19:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Phew! :whew: :whew: :whew: Thanks carbonman! :up:

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 19:55 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Lol - I'm certain you know what you are talking about!

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 20:15 
The Unprogrammable Player

I agree it's all about technique mostly (swing, blade angle and proper power transfer) and lots of training. A really heavy chop is quite hard to kill.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 21:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

carbonman wrote:
Lol - I'm certain you know what you are talking about!

Well it made sense to me, and it seems to work for me, but I'm not so sure that coaches teach it that way.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 21:56 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

A lot depends on the depth. I rarely smash long high chops (I prefer to loop them) but will smash shorter high chops.

Interestingly, Takashima frequently chopped high but those chops were almost always deep and, as such, were relatively safe.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 22:40 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

At first I also tend to hit those as hard as I can, and I miss...

After a few of those mistakes I usually realise that the full force means I can't control the stroke properly. Then I focus on technique, flat hit and aim, and the smash is both faster and better placed than the high power smash.

Also remember that when you hit the ball high, it will also bounce high, and stay in the air for longer (more time for the receiver to try for a return). I try to hit the ball at shoulder height or below, not higher. That also helps with control. A tennis style smash really isn't an advantage in TT.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014, 02:26 

Wow, lots of great advice coming in. Much appreciated and I hope it's helpful to others, who have trouble putting away these shots!

I should mention, in my case, a kill shot is more difficult as I have nerve damage and missing half the muscle on my right side. As a result, I have trouble extending my arm away from my body and hitting forward over the ball. I tend to either punch or swipe across my body — increasing the chance of hitting underspin directly into the net. I need to find a way to compensate technique wise and also rubber wise . . . hoping to find a FH rubber that I can cheat a little with. I even thought about throwing Dr. Evil on there, but that would effect other aspects of my game, which are strong.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014, 21:54 
Super User

use changing gears...for example: somebody is standing front of me and the distance between us is 80 cm. and I'm going to knock him down with a direct punch right on his face..the technique is: imagine a second person right behind the first one, lets say 1.40 cm far from you and hit the first one's face with a feeling of completely ignoring his existance and your aim is the second persons face right behind him..you just hit to this imaginary second one (distance1.40 m.)..karate men use this technique when they break bricks..they ignore the first 3,4 bricks and focus ( direct the energy) on the last one, even maybe behind the last one, just to the earth...this tecnique brings different kind of body- muscle- nerve coordination than aiming and hitting the first one...

so crush the ball...really enter into it...imagine another one 40-50 cm. behind the first one and hit with that feeling ( change gear)...practicing and exploring..

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014, 23:11 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I like Deva's mentality. THAT is how you hit through something to ensure a follow through.

My advice would be to...

1) Watch this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcOrSWr2HLU

2) Eat the stuff

3) Watch this... or read it... http://www.newgy.com/TTCommunity/Archiv ... html#SMASH

4) Be sure to open the blade a lot, swing forward, hit the ball when it is high, and follow through more upwards vs increasingly heavier underspin.

You do not need to waste energy trying to lift the ball and overcome and add to the spin and have left over power to drive the ball. That isn't realistic for many, so HITTING when ball is high is the answer. It is an awkward shot at first. You have to open the blade more than you would for a drive, a lot more. That is not natural at first. You have to follow thru more upwards vs heavier spin, that is kinda instinctive when you think about what you do to make a SLOW loop vs underspin.

Just get in front of a robot set to give you high heavy underspin or a partner to give you those balls you need to practice.

After you do it a few times successfully, it really isn't such a hard shot to do. The trick part it to CORRECTLY read the spin. If the ball is high, you got some margin of error. If the ball is deeper, your margin for error decreases.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2014, 01:58 

I'm assuming heavy underspin is coming off a heavy chop?

Why not try this?

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085