OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 10:21 

I dont like endless backspin vs backspin rally's but i've problems with the short one's to open from bh side.

Any advice for a righthanded player?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 10:48 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

The safest thing to do is just push it back short. Most non-advanced players will push back long most of the time - when they do then you can topspin.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 14:11 
Super User

Most club players tend to push without enough spin. If you brush very thin/quickly (sort of like a good serve) and vary this a bit it'll win points/pops which might allow you to like backspin "rallies" more.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 04:16 

playingforfun wrote:
I dont like endless backspin vs backspin rally's but i've problems with the short one's to open from bh side.

Any advice for a righthanded player?

Best bet is to develop flick/roll attacks against short backspin serves/returns.

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 04:51 

I shall try to push back short and vary in spin. I need a higher/deeper ball for topspinning.

I'v the most problems with people who uses relatively slow equipment (all + sriver 1.5).In competition they push (short,heavy backspin) everything on my bh side.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 05:34 

Still think to develop another weapon in your arsenal is the best bet. Just makes it much easier if you have this in your arsenal against some players.

I usually love Pushing wars as I generally outlast most people. Some people are just better than me at pushing so it's always a good plan B to have this shot. IT also keeps people honest or surprise some people if they expect you to push all day long with short pushes/serves to the BH.

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 05:57 

I shall try the bh flick too. Thx for your imput.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 06:20 
Super User

BH flip is pretty advanced stuff. IMO not advisable to expend effort on unless you already have decent BH loop.

There's a tendency for club players to lose focus on basics. Pushing heavy is safe because even if you pop a bit it's not easy to return so it will keep you in the point. Until you learn to read spin pretty well and accelerate the racket very fast the flip is just not a solid shot.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 06:42 

agenthex wrote:
BH flip is pretty advanced stuff. IMO not advisable to expend effort on unless you already have decent BH loop.

There's a tendency for club players to lose focus on basics. Pushing heavy is safe because even if you pop a bit it's not easy to return so it will keep you in the point. Until you learn to read spin pretty well and accelerate the racket very fast the flip is just not a solid shot.

You are correct ... Although I would quibble about "pretty advanced stuff" . I would say that to be an "Average/Median USATT player (around 1300-1400)", You basically need to have a flick shot in your arsenal by then. (At least people I play that are above 1300, 80%plus have that shot). I've seen 900-1000 players have that shot too ( around 10% of people I've played at that level)

OP has some good Equipment and has been OOAK member since Nov 2011 ... I'm assuming he has been playing since then and probably longer. Fair to assume his at a stage on his game that the flick shot would be right in his alley/wheelhouse to learn and add to his arsenal .

For me I've developed a BH flick/punch shot at around 1,000 level and this improved my level of play tremendously. Of course, I never had to bother learning/practicing BH loop as I am a Long pips player in the BH so I could spend much time and effort with that shot. Main BH shots for me are chop and push. Added Sideswipe and pick hit/flick at around the same time.

Just my .02 cents.

My Blog

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 07:50 
Super User

A proper flip is a 2k level shot. The problem with the weak version (more of a roll) is it allows the opponent to attack first. This is not a good idea even at intermediate level where opponent tend to be much better top-top than against backspin. Plus how many intermed or lower player can reliably bounce twice? When I was ~1700 with well above average skills over the table (and shitty rally) I still couldn't but didn't matter because very few opponent can open reliably nevermind flip short balls.

I suppose that's ok if you just want to rally (and hope to be better there), but if you want to rally you really should have a BH loop open against backspin first anyway.

To be clear, I'm just iterating the sequence to best learn this stuff if the goal is straightest path to advanced play. For club player who just want to have fun it doesn't matter.