OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2015, 22:32 

Hi,
Curious about whether to change grip during a rally or not.. Sadly, the tennis player comes out in me, even playing table tennis, and just shifting grip around a little on BH side, nothing too extreme.. Someone at my club mentioned I shouldn't do it, ok, looked around for some other views, and am confused by it all!!!!! AAARGGHH, there are many variables, or so it would seem, as to whether one should keep grip same throughout, or change it, from one FH to a BH, or slightly alter it..

In terms of playing, I practise daily, up to 30 min on various aspects of my game, and play competition once a week.. Relative newby I guess!! Bottom line, I am improving, as I put some time into my game, and I have decent hand-eye co ordination and fitness levels/agility..

So, after that brief self history, what would u suggest I do ? Currently I change grips during rally, I came unstuck a little last night, my opponent made me pay for weak shots drilling them back right into me at times.. That was more my fault in hitting poor shots in the lead up to my opponents bodyline shot so to speak rather than the changing grip from one side to the other.

Love ALL thoughts on this subject.
Thank u in advance.
Looseleftie

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 00:03 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
looseleftie wrote:
Hi,
Curious about whether to change grip during a rally or not.. Sadly, the tennis player comes out in me, even playing table tennis, and just shifting grip around a little on BH side, nothing too extreme.. Someone at my club mentioned I shouldn't do it, ok, looked around for some other views, and am confused by it all!!!!! AAARGGHH, there are many variables, or so it would seem, as to whether one should keep grip same throughout, or change it, from one FH to a BH, or slightly alter it..

In terms of playing, I practise daily, up to 30 min on various aspects of my game, and play competition once a week.. Relative newby I guess!! Bottom line, I am improving, as I put some time into my game, and I have decent hand-eye co ordination and fitness levels/agility..

So, after that brief self history, what would u suggest I do ? Currently I change grips during rally, I came unstuck a little last night, my opponent made me pay for weak shots drilling them back right into me at times.. That was more my fault in hitting poor shots in the lead up to my opponents bodyline shot so to speak rather than the changing grip from one side to the other.

Love ALL thoughts on this subject.
Thank u in advance.
Looseleftie

almost all top players change thiers grip
my change is similar to ma long and i use it only on bh loop, flick and punch and other is to serve

instructions by Ma Long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddVkXRh1UeY
1:00 -- (1) Serving With The Shakehand Grip
11:23 -- »» The Forehand Grip
14:56 -- »» Backhand Drive (and bh grip)

other help in links below
https://web.archive.org/web/20110612032 ... /09RP2.asp
na str. 11 http://www.butterfly-world.com/newslett ... news77.pdf
na str. 11 http://www.butterfly-world.com/newslett ... news78.pdf
na str. 9 http://www.butterfly-world.com/newslett ... news79.pdf

now i can train and be like Ma Long :)

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 14:08 

Thanks mate, just finished watching all the links.. Appreciate your efforts, sincerely do!!

I think after reading what I have read about the matter, I will continue to use a different forehand to backhand grip, just have to make sure I read ball and flight nice and early though...

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015, 10:07 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Hmm,

I usually believe that I should change my grip for different strokes, or, I believe that it actually impossible to use same grip for far backhand loop and far backhand chop.

Curious about 2 things:
- The argument, why One should not change One grip, and
- How to make proper far backhand loop using conventional grip. I still believe this is impossible.

Btw, please describe your current equipment and play style Leftie, especially, whether your grip is STraight or ANatomic or FLared, usual distance from table, and what strokes you use on either side. :)

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015, 10:23 

I come from tennis background, so this is probably why it feels so natural in shifting grips.. I have a slightly closed racquet face on both sides..
I like to rally from behind, or close to table at times, but would prefer to hit a step back at least behind table.. My equipment is basic.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015, 13:23 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KCw3nZILMGM

Note. Video provided just for gags. ;P

I believe your experience in lawn tennis can also help your learning in table tennis. The footwork quite similar. :)

http://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.php ... =page&id=9

For the equipment, skim a little on ooak beginner equipment guide or several threads in this forum, only if you feel the need to change it. Make sure the grip is ST if you want it to feel similar with lawn tennis racquet. Easier to change grip too, compared to AN and FL. :)

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 16:35 

Cheers mate...

The more i read re changing grips,the more i realise personal preferences come into play.. just havr to ensure that i learn when playing close to table to be able to use the one grip when needed.and when I'm a step back can then have a little more time in changing..

It feels so natural to change.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!