OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 13:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 May 2015, 23:12 

Cross post from /r/tabletennis

My names johnny quach

I'm about 1300-1550 in America. I'm taking a vacation before I start a new job in Beriln, Germany (btw if there are players out there let's meet up please). I'm in shanghai for two weeks and decided to hire a coach.
I had some local help and ended up with Qong Ri.

Here is a video of things I've seen in China.
&feature=youtu.be

If you see a woman in Yellow playing in the tournament that's my coach. She's currently ranked 48 in the world. She was on the italian team for 6 years and ranked number 1 for 4 of those years. If you see her play a girl wearing white and blue. That's a fairly famous player from the singaporean team - at one point was 5th place finisher in olympics and currently world ranked 32.
At the end you will find two games of us playing. She doesn't go easy and most of the games I get like 1-2 points at most.
Additionally I included some slow most of other players in China - at a big tournament.
Here are some notes I took they're messy and mostly for me. But if you have questions. I'll try to answer them.
forehand flick you have open the face if its heavy under. Like the face is facing slighty upwards.
small storkes for loop. Never crank arm fully back (unless you’re ma long)
backhand service crank your wrist back. This requires a lot of wrist.
All services use ur body to make the ball move faster. Not your arm.
Push with body not just wrist or arm
Backhand loop require open blade
Forehand loop do not bend ur wrist. I used to have a very “limp” wrist because I thought it gave me more looseness. This causes me to whiff the ball too much. So straighten your wrist and use your wrist at the END of the stroke.
Backhand Flick go perpendicular not parallel direction to the ball spin. If the ball is going straight backspin you want to move side spin direction.
Backhand loop requires the blade to be open. When finishing make sure the blade is facing right the right side NOT down. I have some better examples of this in another video. But this REALLY important. If you end up with a closed blade at the end what happens is you tend to straight too closed. So make sure you’re making very flat contact with the ball and keep the blade open but bring your arm back DOWN. Imagine drawing a big circle with your arm. Down, down left, left, up left, up, up right, down
When forehand topspin snap your elbow that’s the source of power not your shoulder. Also source of spin. A Hit with waist NOT arms
when serving toss the ball backwards it creates counter action which can produce heavy backspin. I have a video of this in slow motion.
Forehand flick NEVER straighten your arm. To accomplish this get close to the ball.

Part 2
This clip includes some slow services my coach does. Her short underspin service is REALLY heavy and really hard to flick. I actually practice backhand flick a lot and it's almost impossible for me to flick her service consistently.
There's a slow mo of her doing a forehand flick. Notice her body position to the ball. Also notice how her arm is NEVER straight - it's slightly bent and this is SUPER SUPER SUPER important. If you straighten your arm out you lose all ability to generate huge amounts of power. The key to a strong forehand flick (and all shots) is your position to the ball
Now for my favorite part of the clip and also my favorite experience of my whole trip. Playing with middle school kids! These guys were so talented, so damn well mannered, and were so into the game. It made so damn happy that I get an opp to travel the world and meet people like them. I wish I could of made more time to go back and see them maybe next Monday one last time. Notice how cool the place they play in is! It's where they play after school.
After that clip you see younger girl playing with my coach. She's 12 or 13 I believe. When I watched this I realize her form is like almost 100% perfect. Notice how her legs are ALWAYS bent and the center of gravity is always low. This is something I really gotta work on.
Now for the fun part. The kid I'm playing is considered the second best 11 year old in all of shanghai. I played his friend right before who was like 2 inches shorter and ranked the number 1 player in all of shanghai in 11 year old category.
After that is clip of my practicing backhand and forehand power loops. Notice how I'm constantly trying to correct my backhand ending position. Very important notice how much power I have when I make FLAT contact. Someone asked me about this and now you can see it.
After that is some games with me and my coach. I get destroyed and look like a fool. I think I get one good rally in there.
As always feel free to ask questions.
&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: 27 May 2015, 11:07 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Thanks for the video. I realized after watching her backspin serve how she hits the ball behind her body rather than later on the side. Also it is close to the body and she has body rotation into the serve. This is not how I serve. I tried this and it increased the spin. I can't get the level of her spin though Sigh!

PostPosted: 28 May 2015, 01:41 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Just curious about what a trip like this might cost (the coaching part of it, I mean). Is there some central agency that arranges the matching of coaches to students, or is it done through connections?

Accomodations-wise I hear Shanghai's pretty expensive! (Probably not as bad as Singapore, though..)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 May 2015, 11:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the videos and tips alwaysloop :up:

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2015, 21:06 

Johnny can you tell me the rubber and the blade of your coach?

- blade= MaLong PG7-506:999$
- FH= TG3NeoBS Nat:95$
- BH= Ten05 Pro Max:80$
- Shoes= BTY EnergyForceV:200$
- Socks= 2xTihbarCool:20$
- Short= BTY Boxer:25$
- Tshirt= ChineseCNT:50$

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2015, 21:48 

maurice101 wrote:
Thanks for the video. I realized after watching her backspin serve how she hits the ball behind her body rather than later on the side. Also it is close to the body and she has body rotation into the serve. This is not how I serve. I tried this and it increased the spin. I can't get the level of her spin though Sigh!

I said the same thing then she said "Go practice 24 years like me" .....lol

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2015, 21:49 

iskandar taib wrote:
Just curious about what a trip like this might cost (the coaching part of it, I mean). Is there some central agency that arranges the matching of coaches to students, or is it done through connections?

Accomodations-wise I hear Shanghai's pretty expensive! (Probably not as bad as Singapore, though..)

Iskandar

She's 50 USD an hour (that's very high in china). Usually coaches are 15 usd maybe? My coach in America was 40-60 USD which is average. I'm a small partner in a startup in China and my CEO asked his admin people to find me a coach. I just got lucky I ended up with her.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2015, 21:51 

QUAK wrote:
Johnny can you tell me the rubber and the blade of your coach?

Blade is WRB oversized something
Tenergy 05 on one side (she thinks this is 100% the best rubber which I completely agree with)
Bryceon butterfly on the backside I think

She's also doesn't use cleaner. Just water and her breath. She said chinese don't use clean ever. I think there's no point I guess?

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2015, 18:48 

thank you johnny.
you are so lucky to train with such a good trainer. your tip is really helpful too.

so finally, she doesnt use the chinese rubber. the blade is 5 ply wood oversize that is normal.
if you have more videos, i would like to see to learn the techniques.

i think that you can learn to improve your serve. your serve is too high, too long, and predictable.

- blade= MaLong PG7-506:999$
- FH= TG3NeoBS Nat:95$
- BH= Ten05 Pro Max:80$
- Shoes= BTY EnergyForceV:200$
- Socks= 2xTihbarCool:20$
- Short= BTY Boxer:25$
- Tshirt= ChineseCNT:50$

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2016, 20:27 

Thanks so much for this.This knowledge is made of gold,i especially appreciated the short notes you write that help to adjust your game.Please if something else comes to mind share with us! :)

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2016, 22:26 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
that 2nd clip, slow mo at beginning is priceless! :up:

i knew that i am hitting my underspin serves too close and too low to the table...very good footage...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.