OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: I learned to chop
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2016, 00:37 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
pgpg wrote:
Japsican wrote:
Right, but that is the only reason it's much easier. If you put inverted on the BH, you will quickly realize that it is far more demanding than a FH chop. :rock:

Not going to argue with THAT. Also, I'm also horrible at FH chopping with LP, based on few times I tried so far.

I chopped quite a lot on the BH when I played dual inverted. It naturally flowed through to chopping with the BH with LP. I always chopped somewhat with the FH too and still do (depending on the players shots I'm opposing). However, I'd far rather hit a chicken-wing with the LP on the FH side (or chop with the inverted), than use the LP with a FH grip to chop. No natural flow there :lol: :@

Because of all this, I am drifting towards more of a fish/guide/loop/drive shots on FH with a very rare and random FH chop thrown in, a-la Gionis. Works for him pretty well, so why not?

Post subject: Re: I learned to chop
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2016, 01:39 

I just had an epiphany while watching matches of Gionis that Iskandar mentioned. Since I can't seem to quite get the backhand chop down, I'll just build up to it from a follow through push. Gionis seems to open with an inbetween hybrid of a long backhand push and chopping motion around the edge the table, before he backs up more and does the more traditional bh chop. Is that an accurate observation?

My follow through backhand pushes I can create some good backspin already. I just need to keep working on that while increasing the ball speed/distance to back away from the table as I get more comfortable. By increasing the distance to eventually being away from the table, that will force me to gradually increase the chopping motion so I can get the ball over the net. I think along the way with slight adjustments and muscle memory, I should be able to get the bh chops consistent.

It seems like a viable exercise to try and build up to instead of just trying to directly learn the full bh chop? Yes?