OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: I learned to chop
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 06:32 

This is more of a personal story share than anything else. That feeling of discovery when you learn something new and is able to do it fairly consistent after admiring it from a distance. A really happy feeling!

Quick background is I've only been playing for a few months, but have been fortunate with a fast learning curve from the instructions, practices and games for long hours daily. I'm not a defensive player at all and lose so many games from being way too aggressive (+ being a beginner). First time I saw a chop was from a co-worker and couldn't figure how the ball floated, made that paddle noise, or how that hitting motion propelled the ball forward. It was so FASCINATING! Then started watching pro matches on Youtube. Then joined a club and watched a club mate chopping during our weekly tournaments.

This past weekend, I was waiting for my other club mate to finish his private lesson and we would play afterwards. To pass the time, I just hit with the robot, but got bored and just tried to chop for the hell of it. Balls flew everywhere! Embarrassing, but luckily only a few of us were there.

After about 30 minutes or so, I was getting the hang of it on the forehand and understanding the concept. Started seeing the balls float over with good backspin and the occasional good arch. I just tried to recall the images of players chopping and kept making little adjustments to angle, stance, height...etc. I look over and see the club mate that I was waiting for start playing with a female player. A little annoyed, but I can't blame the guy for wanting to play with her :* LOL. So I kept chopping and chopping and chopping and chopping...

After getting fairly consistent on getting 4 out of 5 good forehand chops on average, I started on the backhand. Definitely going to need more work on the bh! After 4 1/2 hours at the club and the higher than normal humidity, I had to stop. But I walked out feeling super happy and excited. The next morning my side obliques and lats were HURTING.

Yesterday during a round robin match, I was a little out of position and rather than let the ball go, I let it drop further and chopped at it from knee height. The ball arched from under and sailed slightly just above the net and landed in his court. I don't think he was expecting it as he stared at it and had a delayed reaction to push. I got the point.

"Since when did you start chopping?"

I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders.

I don't think I'll become a regular chopper, but it's definitely something fun to do. Who knows, maybe my next paddle will have short pips? :P

Post subject: Re: I learned to chop
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 09:26 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
I can relate to this. My new pennant teammate has come back to the sport after a long absence, and he's a double inverted chopper! As well as the great advantage of having a teammate with a relatively uncommon playing style, it is fascinating to watch his rallies, and it prompted me to try a little chopping against the robot and during group coaching. It is harder than it looks to get any kind of consistency of height and length. I also found forehand chopping to be a bit easier than backhand.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 10:02 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Chopping is addictive... :devil:

I actually find BH chopping much easier (with LP, mind you).

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 10:42 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
pgpg wrote:

SAME! It's actually the very same reason why I wanted to get 388d1, lps are fantastic for chopping.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 04:37 

pgpg wrote:

It really is. It's so gratifying and artful seeing it sail over. And that change in speed allows you to admire it for a split second.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 04:42 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Danthespearton wrote:
pgpg wrote:

SAME! It's actually the very same reason why I wanted to get 388d1, lps are fantastic for chopping.

Right, but that is the only reason it's much easier. If you put inverted on the BH, you will quickly realize that it is far more demanding than a FH chop. :rock:

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 04:56 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Japsican wrote:
Danthespearton wrote:
pgpg wrote:

Right, but that is the only reason it's much easier. If you put inverted on the BH, you will quickly realize that it is far more demanding than a FH chop. :rock:

Not going to argue with THAT. Also, I'm also horrible at FH chopping with LP, based on few times I tried so far.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 05:56 

speaking of backhand chops, I can't seem to get it to arc properly. It just mostly floats straight.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 08:38 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
ZeroZero wrote:
speaking of backhand chops, I can't seem to get it to arc properly. It just mostly floats straight.

When a loop comes towards you, right after it bounces, wait for the ball to rise and fall. When it starts to fall, you should chop the ball. And if possible, try to contact the ball somewhere around your waist level, and make sure its a brushing contact. I had trouble with this too, still am, but now I know the stroke to get a nice, spinny arc that chops have; all I need is to be able to do it consistency with depth and placement.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 10:42 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Weight transfer people. Weight transfer...back leg to front leg. Rotating at the torso and chopping simultaneously

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 10:45 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

So, what is the proper chop trajectory? I heard 'low and deep' are good principles, but 'high and deep' that dies on the end line seems to work too, since ball 'lacks forward momentum' and is harder to attack.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2016, 13:21 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
pgpg wrote:
So, what is the proper chop trajectory? I heard 'low and deep' are good principles, but 'high and deep' that dies on the end line seems to work too, since ball 'lacks forward momentum' and is harder to attack.

Harder to loop. Not harder to attack. This ball is easier to smash although often misread. I find the best chops aren't the ones that people miss. They are the ones that opponents have a very hard time attacking for a win and allows you to comfortably stay in the rally and set up your own opportunity.

Generally long low and heavy spin.

Speed tends to not bother people too much imho

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2016, 17:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Like the ones Gionis does.

Angle's wrong to see it in full glory. It looks far more impressive from a sideways point of view, believe me.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2016, 21:26 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
pgpg wrote:

Dear Pgpg,

The ideal trajectory is, random, may or may not different from the player previous chop.

Dont let Your opponent adapt. :D

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2016, 00:31 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
pgpg wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Not going to argue with THAT. Also, I'm also horrible at FH chopping with LP, based on few times I tried so far.

I chopped quite a lot on the BH when I played dual inverted. It naturally flowed through to chopping with the BH with LP. I always chopped somewhat with the FH too and still do (depending on the players shots I'm opposing). However, I'd far rather hit a chicken-wing with the LP on the FH side (or chop with the inverted), than use the LP with a FH grip to chop. No natural flow there :lol: :@

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.