OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 20:21 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
Well, I feel a bit bad for starting a thread on this topic, but, here's the situation:
In a few weeks, I'm going to be playing against a wheelchair player in my roster. It will likely be a close match, but he's taken a few of our division's best players all the way to the 5th; so there's a very real chance that he'll make a fool of me!
He seems to be a hitter, and is fairly fast in the wheelchair, but I don't think he's a very heavy spinner.
So, are there any tactics that work against wheelchair players (ethical ones, of course - I'm not going to chop that heavily that the ball comes back over the net just to beat him!)?
My instinct says just chop & twiddle, and hit the easy ones. Playing the angles might also be an idea?
Also, are there any tactics in regards to playing doubles against wheechair players - they don't have to alternate every shot.

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

Last edited by Musicfreak0 on 13 Aug 2016, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 20:30 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
1st, learn to move in wheelchair. :P

Jokes aside,

1st, learn to play your usual game on wheelchair.

2nd, do it like You usually do. ;)

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 20:31 
Super User

1st, learn to move in wheelchair. :P

Jokes aside,

2nd, learn to play your usual game on wheelchair.

3rd, do it like You usually do. ;)

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 20:38 
Super User

Maybe I worded that badly - I'm playing against a wheelchair player. :lol:
I'll edit the first post accordingly. :D

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 22:54 
Super User

Musicfreak0 wrote:
Maybe I worded that badly - I'm playing against a wheelchair player. :lol:
I'll edit the first post accordingly. :D

But, even so,

Correct me, please.

You also must on the wheelchair to play against wheelchair player, in proper match. :D

UPDATE

Forgot to add the most important thing, and also the most basic one.

Person with special needs naturally allergic to Player that pulling His punches, out of pity, for example.

I rather being butchered (11 - 0) * 4 than my opponent take a pity on me if, for example, my ankle act up again.

So, whatever you do, do not pull your punch... strokes! :D

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited by BeGo on 13 Aug 2016, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 23:07 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
BeGo wrote:
You also must on the wheelchair to play against wheelchair player, in proper match. :D

Able-bodied and wheelchair players can play each other in tournaments. There are just some minor restrictions to make things fairer for the wheelchair player (such as the service not going past the sidelines).

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 00:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
There is a Wheelchair team in one of the local leagues I play in and they must not be underestimated as they include the national wheelchair champion,in the red hot ground floor of the local hospital it has been a living hell for some good players over the years and many have been defeated.
Tactics that worked for me include fast low serves with the lp as far away from the opponent as possible ,not easy because your serve has to pass over the end and not the sides of the table(league rule against w/chair players).I noticed that the wheelchair players prefer to receive with the b/hand so I did sidespin serves into their f/h corner which makes it awkward to play with b/h and drew some mistakes. I slso noticed that a high bouncing ball was difficult for them although this was not easy to do during gameplay due to most of there shots being low and fast and coming at difficult angles that I`ve not encountered anywhere else.
doubles:either opponent can play the ball here too ,we found that playing the ball directly at the gap between the 2 opponents won the larger percentage of points due to slight indec
ision on their part
I have to remember the tenacity and competitiveness of these opponents then I don`t feel so bad plotting against them

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 01:38 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Wheelchair players are at a huge disadvantage in spin generation, they often are not able to get such a huge swing as non-wheelchair players.

That doesn't mean they do not have good touch or ability to place it well. Those are their strengths. many also tend to block well in hte middle and on FH, block wide balls with a soft touch.

They do not handle extreme spin or very fast sudden shots away from them very well. That is where you will finish points vs them. Getting the ball to make that shot will be trickier, especially if their touch and placement are good, which many of them are.

A half-long ball to their middle will minimize the angles they can use against you plus that ball is difficult to spin heavy or rip if it is low. That serve gives you the best chance for a third ball, but they may be weak vs other serves, you have to search and discover. Variation is key. If you have a heavy underspin serve, give it to them real heavy to their middle just half-long. They will likely bump the ball back. If their touch is good, it might be short, but you can bump it back short or real deep to their body or corner. Be patient. When you get your chance, take it the first time - heavy spin away from them or a fast shot away. Once you establish your serve is heavy, you can make it light and really mess them up if you present it right, those serves will open your offense up like crazy.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 10:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There was a guy who played in a wheelchair in the 1980s beyond who was rated maybe 2100. Lived in Florida IIRC. There were pictures of him looping in Table Tennis Topics. Forget the name, from a firsthand account he would "almost fall out of his wheelchair". A rating of 2100 means he'd have little trouble with a lot of really good able-bodied players. Someone like me wouldn't have had a chance.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 21:12 
Super User

Thanks for the tips, guys! Basically, what I've taken from this is that I should play a spinny game, and I should really attack when given a chance. I'm sure a little twiddling will cause a few problems. :devil:

UPDATE:
Wow! Tactics were helpful, but he was just too good! Went down 3-1 (Around 11-8, 12-10 [big lead wasted], 7-11, 11-9).
Interesting; he could tell which side my YAP was on from one shot by the trajectory - quite a skill at my level! The reach on this guy was incredible: I tried to play the angles, but he wouldn't let me - he just placed the ball too well. A few of my loops went in (!) and disappeared beneath the table, only to come flying back at after I thought I had the point! The fact that he's a lefty threw me a little, too! He seems to struggle with heavy backspin, but the anti did barely anything to him. His coach is a twiddler with LP, though :lol: .
I don't feel so bad about plotting tactics against him now! :devil: