OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 10:30 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Newgy used to sell a DVD called "Table Tennis Training Shortcuts" by Carl Hardin. Sampson Dubina credits Hardin for making him a 2200-level player. I've heard Hardin himself wasn't a good player at all (1100ish USATT rating), even though he was a USATT certified coach. So yes, it's certainly possible for an inferior player to advise a superior player if the inferior player understands the game. However, in the real world if there is a large divide in rating (or skill), the superior player will usually dismiss advice from an inferior player. "They're no good, what do they know?" In that case, inferior players are good in the cheerleader role.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 20:22 

Blade: Yinhe T 11+
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z1
BH: Stiga Mantra H
All top players have a personal coach during a match who advise, analyse and instructs them during time-outs and in-between games. Therefore during competitive matches a coach is essential.
However human nature would dictate that most would only accept someone they can trust as coach. Hence giving unsolicited advice/coaching would definitely be treated with disdain. Moreover its fruitless as well as their advice would not be absorbed with the right spirit.

Coming to my own personal experience when receiving unsolicited coaching.
I do not play in competitions. So it does not bother me at all if I am being beaten. It bothers me that I need to pick up from the floor out-of-play balls often. When I play with 'easy' opponents, my intention would be to return some easy shots and we can knock more strokes per ball. Then a 'better' player would come along and provide advice on how to make a better return. If I ignore his advice, he would keep on pestering me. So I just played a few strokes his way and when he is off me, I would play back the way I enjoy. No arguments. Everyone happy.
Funny thing is that when I playing a much better opponent, I would be struggling to produce my best. But this guy didn't come by to give advice at all.
Life is so interesting.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 21:21 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Haha maybe he's stumped on what advice he's supposed to give as well. But yeah interesting characters indeed.