OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

What's important to you in a coaching session - choose up to 3
1. Are planned and published in advance of the session 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
2. Start and end on time 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
3. Keep athletes busy the whole time 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4. Promote competition between friends 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5. Include a lot of variety 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
6. Include behaviours required in competitions 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
7. Involve each athlete in goal-setting (do you have your own development plan?) 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
8. Generate as much feedback to each athlete as possible (doesn't need to be immediate) 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
9. Are evaluated as soon afterwards as possible 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
10 Encourage interested family and friends to make a positive contribution 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2016, 18:39 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
As a TT England UKCC level 1 qualified coach I'm required to complete at least 1 Continual Professional Development course each year to improve my coaching skills. At first I thought this was just a bind, but being inactive from playing for a long time I've started to research coaching processes, different styles and techniques. By this I mean generic coaching skills - not simply the mechanics of how to play a shot.

Here on the forum we often say that players would improve their game more if they practise, specifically with a coach. However, just how good is the standard of coaching that you receive?

To help you decide, I'm going to reference a paper by Richard Cox - Psychological considerations of effective coaching. It's from a book called "The Coaching Process: Principles and Practice." It's very err, academic but I think the following list is very helpful for anyone to assess if they are getting value for money from any coaching they receive (that can be the parents of players or the players themselves) and for coaches to assess their own performance.

If you don't recognise or experience any of these in your own coaching sessions, you may want to ask your coach why.

Excellent coaching sessions:

1. Are planned and published in advance of the session
2. Start and end on time
3. Keep athletes busy the whole time
4. Promote competition between friends
5. Include a lot of variety
6. Include behaviours required in competitions
7. Involve each athlete in goal-setting
8. Generate as much feedback to each athlete as possible
9. Are evaluated as soon afterwards as possible
10. Encourage interested family and friends to make a postive contribution.

I'll be honest, I'm starting to consider myself a coach rather than a helper but when I read through this list, I found it very sobering. Some I've done informally, some I regularly do and some I'd never considered doing. And, I can always find an excuse not to some of these as well (we never know who's going to turn up or what standard they are or what their asperations are, I'm a volunteer coach and not being paid, time etc) but are these really excuses or real reasons?

Maybe it's a time I took a real hard look at what I'm trying to help our league deliver to people?

Maybe it's time if you are paying for coaching that you challenge your coach about the standard of their sessions?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 10:59 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Very good! I hope you develop more and improve. We need a lot more good coaches!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!