OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2016, 22:05 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
leatherback wrote:
Yes. You can chop down the back of the ball as opposed to under it, your timing must be spot on because you don't have room to go down too far. Often your racket hits the table with this. It takes practice because it feels alien to push down so hard.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

LB, can you please explain how a chop down on the ball, albeit at the back, will create TOP-spin? That does not compute in my head :punch: :lol:

I think that what LB meant was that he was responding directly to the op's post. The op asked if there as a way to push the ball back against topspin; if you look at LB's response, it makes perfect sense. To me at least :lol:
Hope that helped!

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2016, 22:52 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
leatherback wrote:
Yes. You can chop down the back of the ball as opposed to under it, your timing must be spot on because you don't have room to go down too far. Often your racket hits the table with this. It takes practice because it feels alien to push down so hard.

LB, can you please explain how a chop down on the ball, albeit at the back, will create TOP-spin? That does not compute in my head :punch: :lol:

Lol after reading all the responses I feel like I'm a little out of loop lol...

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 05:07 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
Don't worry leatherback, you'll get back in the swing of things! :)

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 08:16 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Musicfreak0 wrote:
Ditto, I was only answering Dan's comments: I made another comment referring to the OP. Even so, only the first sentence of my first post was about LP. :lol:
I think by definition the push is a backspin stroke.

somewhat cheating, definitely not a push, and only relevant when away from table,

It a somewhat uncommon shot called, a pull. :P

we can do chop / push motion before the ball touching our blade, and quickly retract the motion just before the ball touching our blade. The blade hit the ball on the way up or the way back motion. Best done below the table. ;)

It can be done on the table, but hard, takes skill, and, when the opponent read it, that means easy loop kill for him. When he not, His / Her face is priceless :P

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 11:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

leatherback wrote:

Isn't that a "chop-block" rather than a push? I can sort of see where you can get topspin out of it, same as you'd get topspin from a block against topspin.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 12:28 
Super User

BeGo wrote:
Musicfreak0 wrote:
Ditto, I was only answering Dan's comments: I made another comment referring to the OP. Even so, only the first sentence of my first post was about LP. :lol:

somewhat cheating, definitely not a push, and only relevant when away from table,

I'm sensing a little confusion, BeGo! I meant you can play a push shot with LP against heavy backspin, and it will return with topspin due to the existing spin on the ball. However, I would classify that as a "bump".

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 19:39 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Musicfreak0 wrote:
BeGo wrote:
Musicfreak0 wrote:

I'm sensing a little confusion, BeGo! I meant you can play a push shot with LP against heavy backspin, and it will return with topspin due to the existing spin on the ball. However, I would classify that as a "bump".

my bad,

i did not means to disagree with your post,

just want to show that we can disguise a pull as a push, to generate top spin. :D

I blame the Indonesian way of thinking me. :D

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 19:49 
Super User

BeGo wrote:
my bad,

i did not means to disagree with your post,

lol, all good. I think the misinterpretation was on my part! :oops: :P Sorry about that! :lol:
I realise that you meant your "pull" shot was somewhat cheating, not the bump! Though, to be honest, the bump is kind of cheating, but it is a push stroke.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 18:59 

The most common thing to do is flip / counter / block the ball back. However your opponent will be step back and be ready for an attack if that's all you can do. There are other shots to include in your game to mix things up. You can try blocking it and taking the spin off the ball to produce a flat, deep ball. This is almost what people do when they 'push' topspin.

One thing I really like to do is graze the ball very finely, going against the spin. Exactly on it's equator. It's almost like a slight stab and I use a lot of hand and writst motion to generate the bat speed. I can place the ball short or long and it often results in a funny bounce that my opponent isn't expecting. This takes a buttload of practice.

Another thing is to use the opponents spin to send the ball back. The contact is the same as explained above, but instead of going against the spin, I am just letting the spin react to my racket and send itself back over the table. Once again, buttloads of practice. These two techniques require extremely fine contact and unintuitive bat angles. The bat angle is almost 90 degrees left or right (depending on handedness), with the tip of the bat pointing towards the net, and the face is rotated slightly towards the table - depending on what combination of topspin / sidespin of course.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016, 14:40 

Blade: Innerforce ZLC
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 64
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
leatherback wrote:

I misinterpreted the original post too as he asked if a topspin ball could be pushed back (which would be underspin). Imparting top spin isn't a "push" anymore. Would just be a slow flick waiting to be rocketed back into your face. :lol:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!