OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Can all loops be blocked
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 13:59 

Are all loops blockable? We have kind of found as we get better that we even as amateurs can hit shots that are spinny and slow enough that they are seemingly unblockable.

I would think then the high level players could hit some loops spinny and slow enough that they simply aren't blockable. If the paddle is bent down sufficiently the ball would go into the net and if it were angled any more up the ball would fly off the table.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 14:21 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
Given enough time and training, any loop is blockable. However, if your opponent is skilled enough to loop with varying speed and spin, you might it hard to block consistently. You might get one or two back but the third will dive into the net or fly off the end of the table. :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 14:49 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Back when loop drives first started to appear in the 1960s and 70s there were people with unblockable loop drives, if you believe what you read in magazines. People dealt with it by keeping the ball short, they also invented anti-spin rubber (which a lot of top players used back then). I think the thing that killed off the super-spinny brush loop was the 40mm ball - loops with the 38mm ball were far spinnier and reacted far more when you tried to block them.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 15:15 

I suppose I was asking if its possible to put so much spin on the ball that it's not physically possible to angle the paddle is such a way (from any distance) that the ball will be returned.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 15:34 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
All loops are blockable, in theory. 'Killing' ones are usually effective due to placement and speed.
What you usually won't see in lower-classes are advanced techniques to remove energy out of a loop while blocking. Apart from stepping back a little you may have figured out that you can use lower pressure in your hand while blocking. You also can use your wrist for a small swing down to reduce the length and spin of a block. Iirc you can notice such blocks sometimes in vids with Mizutani, for example.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 15:59 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I'd expect that technically every loop is blockable. If it has a huge amount of spin, then that spin will also be returned as topspin that as long as the blocked ball can get over the net, then the topspin would bring it back down on the table.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2016, 17:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Red wrote:
All loops are blockable, in theory. 'Killing' ones are usually effective due to placement and speed.
What you usually won't see in lower-classes are advanced techniques to remove energy out of a loop while blocking. Apart from stepping back a little you may have figured out that you can use lower pressure in your hand while blocking. You also can use your wrist for a small swing down to reduce the length and spin of a block. Iirc you can notice such blocks sometimes in vids with Mizutani, for example.

The old books said to block with a very closed bat AND a very loose grip. There were also reports in magazines about people moving the bat sideways to block. And these days people also chop-block.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016, 03:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=WFcBEN4-RRc[/youtube]

Yes, any topspin ball can be blocked effectively provided you have nimble hand and springy legs. Matsudaira footwork is amazing indeed.

If you lazy, drawsy legs you only able to block light topspin ball in the middle of table, and you would fail to respond the hard topspin near your table's endline.

I am much regretful to see Kenta abandoned his famous blocking play by now, he now became too static and scimpy footwork. Feel sorry for him.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016, 04:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yes, any topspin ball can be blocked effectively provided you have nimble hand and springy legs. Matsudaira footwork is amazing indeed.

If you lazy, drawsy legs you only able to block light topspin ball in the middle of table, and you would fail to respond the hard topspin near your table's endline.

I am much regretful to see Kenta abandoned his famous blocking play by now, he now became too static and scimpy footwork. Feel sorry for him.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2016, 02:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Legs have nothing to do with it. Legs get you there, blocking very spinny loops is about something else altogether.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2016, 08:49 
Super User

When you say block, maybe you mean passive block, but block can mean a whole bunch of different technical things so it's hard to generalize, but Some type of block angle and motion can return any player produced spin in my opinion.

My old coach had a Stiga robot of the jugs type that had two separate driven rubber wheels. With the robot set so the top wheel was brushing the top of the ball forward and the bottom wheel brushing the bottom of the ball backward, it could send out a medium fast ultraspin loop with so much topspin that any successful blocking with normal inverted rubber required holding the racket face almost pointing directly down to the table and at the same time also pulling the racket back toward you to absorb ball speed. I would call this a recoil block. Moving the racket sideways and back also absorbs speed.

People could usually return none of these artificially spinny robot shots, but using the pure face down racket angle and pulling back you could occasionally return one out of ten or so. The ball would usually climb your racket face and fly up no matter what you did.
That was an unrealistic level of spin rotation but somewhat instructive. I think the theory still holds that for human beings any spin can be returned with practice.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2016, 09:39 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
I guess blocking oriented plays , is quite the same as chopping ones ( waiting game on making the opponent fall out on their strokes while we use minimal energy.)
choppers prefer away from table and have more time to get ready for the next ball, while blocker's mnore reliant on their reflex and the sooner they take the ball the better on table especially.
As to why blocking is not more of a trend in general, probably unlike chopping it needs more specific practice and traits like super reflexes and instincts

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2016, 09:39 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
-extra posted-

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2016, 14:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

"Blocking" from way back is a lot easier than blocking near/over the table. In any case with a very spinny slow loop you can't back up too much, the ball will hit the floor. It's blocking one of these over the table that's challenging - that's why they had antispin, that's why the loose grip, etc.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2017, 18:43 

Blade: joo sae hyuk
FH: omega 5 tour 2mm
BH: cloud and fog 3 1mm
Lately a new player came to my club. I always considered my forehand blocking to be quite good but i am having major problems returning his slow short and very low bouncing loops to my forehand. I am normally too far back to block off the bounce, over the table i block long or high all the time. Blocking below table height is impossible for me. Most consistent way to return was to come round and return with the pips but thats not always possible.

I will try new ideas next session. Maybe counter it or sidespin block. Normally the slow loops i play against bounces higher and i have no problem but these seem to sink

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!