OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 05:27 

I am a 1400 USATT player.

I have 2 setups:
Setup 1: Clipper blade: H3 Neo Max, Mark V Max
Setup 2: Dawei Genote Quattro X blade: 2008 XP 1.8 mm thickness both sides.

Setup 1 is obviously faster and spinnier. However I lose a bit of control. Mark V is a softer sponge and is more reactive to incoming spin however it is easier to loop.

Setup 2 is a bit slower and less spinnier. However it has more control easier to lift heavy spin serves and easier to hit flat shots and put more balls on the table.

Setup 1 had been my primary setup however off late I recently tried playing with Setup 2 and found that I was able to beat a few higher level players which I had failed to come close with Setup 1. So I have now switched to Setup 1 for my matches and during training I play with a faster Setup 2.

My question is how can I use these setups to my advantage. Which setup would be advantageous against which style of player and equipment. Also which setup is better for me to improve my own game?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 05:57 

Blade: Stiga Clipper CC
FH: DHS H3
BH: Xiom Vega Japan
I'm similar level with you. I think there are no play style differnces/advantages with the 2. Setup 1 might win more points from block due to the speed of the block. Tho I think it's easier to block with hurricAne it's less effective then markv or tenergy. Imo

Both are fine for training. I would use clippers because people say it's standard. Im not sure how much you play but fresh rubbers help develop strokes correctly

Last edited by Bars on 13 Apr 2017, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 05:58 

Blade: Stiga Clipper CC
FH: DHS H3
BH: Xiom Vega Japan
Which ever one blocks faster *

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 13:19 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Seems obvious to me. Use the blade that is giving you the best results. Use it in both matches and training so you can get a better feel with it for all the shots. Changing blades all the time won't help anything. Once you have a really good feel for it, it will be the best blade to use against ANY player.

Clipper is a faster blade, what is the Dawei's rating?

I'd be interested to see how you got with the Clipper's rubbers on an ALL blade.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 16:37 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
1400 Is a highly inconsistent level at which people read a lot too much into what happens when you change setups (I have been there and done that so I know). People may just be struggling to read how the ball comes off Hurricane or something like that or you may just have played fluke matches. I used to have that revolving door all the time.

Cobalt has the right answer, the key is to practice with a setup until you can use it to play the full range of shots that enhance the quality of your game. When you train, try to play shots that enable you to fully understand your equipment, too many people try to play the ball on the table all the time in training and get confused as to why they don't know how to control the ball. You have to learn to put the ball exactly where you want to put it, even into the net and into the back wall on demand with your equipment and technique to prove you understand your equipment.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 17:10 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
I 2nd Cobalt, asking for the behaviour with an AR, AR+ blade with the rubbers of the Clipper.

The 2nd setups control seems to profit from the rubbers.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 17:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

This bears watching.

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!