OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

How do you think about this tutorial ?
it is useful 100%  100%  [ 13 ]
I already know all of this 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2017, 01:58 

Blade: Custom blade
FH: Good old globe999
BH: target ultim 50 max
Hi, I'm EmRatThich, vietnamese table tennis player. Now I live in France. With my friend (chinese table tennis player), we have learned together some tips and chinese philosophy about table tennis. I would like to share some of these tips for beginner players who want to improve fast in table tennis.

As I'm not a pro player, these tips may be not applicable to all of the level. If you are already at a very high level, you could find these tutorials not helpful, however I think it would be useful for beginner and early-intermediate player. In my previous videos, the quality of the coaching is not good enough (may be too simplified or not new for some players). I'm trying to improve a lot to give better coaching video for many new players. Feel free to comment or criticism about the video or technical aspects.

My purpose is to help new player enjoy more table tennis, as I always say to my young players:
"In Spin We Trust" ! :*:

Hope you enjoy the coaching video. See you next Sunday.
Best regards,
EmRatThich

table tennis tutorial | most important tips (part 3) :up:

"The first 2 key points of holding a table tennis racket has been explained in the previous video: Use the muscle group 2 to hold your racket, and a compact grip will increase the freedom of the wrist.

I will explain in this video the last keypoint in the "3 principles to have a good table tennis grip". This keypoint is the most important as it is the key of "explosiveness" in Chinese philosophy about table tennis stroke."

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2017, 03:02 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yes, if you look around the forum you'll see we've been discussing your videos. Quite enlightening in some cases, quite useful.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=30364&p=323538#p323538

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2017, 07:26 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
EmRatThich, welcome to the forum! :) I've been following you on YouTube for a while and I have to say your videos are very informative. Keep up the good work! :up:

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2017, 17:53 

thank you iskandar and lorre.
I will cover some LP topics which will interest some players in ooak I think :)

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2017, 21:12 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Just spent the last hour or so watching more of his videos. Some very interesting points:

1) A loose grip. Many people have mentioned this, he goes into a lot more detail. Basically, for the shakehands grip, pressure is applied using the thumb and forefinger only. The other three fingers should be curled around the handle but should be LOOSE. The reason, apparently, is if the muscles connected to the middle, ring and pinkie are tense, this also tenses up the wrist and prevents free movement thereof. The thumb should be firmly parked on the flat at the top of the handle, this serves as a reference. The forefinger can be allowed to move around but the thumb should not move. If it is (when hitting backhands), it should be moved back again immediately.

2) "Explosiveness" - many parts to this but one interesting point was to relax your GRIP until the moment of contact, when you squeeze harder, and then immediately relax again. Playing with relaxed muscles has been mentioned quite a bit in the past, mainly in discussions with Agenthex and Brett, but the main problem I have is - how to you TEACH someone to "relax" when playing?? Apparently big dividends to be had in terms of speed and power if you can do it.

3) The part about "microadjustment" - not really sure what this means. He shows Zhang Jike "micro-adjusting" but as far as I can tell it's a repeat of Point 2 (above).

4) Of all the footage I've seen, the most fascinating was the "aerobics class" at around 3:51 in the following video:

Does ANYONE ever organize classes like this anywhere else? :lol: What level players are these, they look like schoolkids, and is this at one of those State Athlete Camp schools? Can't tell if they're doing it to music, but there's a "dance leader" in front. Wonder if you need tables to get everyone in the right mood. Fascinating to watch the technique, and how everyone's in perfect unison. Wish I could move like that. Again, this video bring up some interesting points - the part about "feeling the stroke" and "getting the stroke mechanics right" being important, I've seen a few posters here stress it before, too (NextLevel in particular). But learning it through multiball feeding? That's a new one, and an interesting thing to try. I do have that collector net that came with my iPong, perfect for that... I think if I could feed multiball as quick as that kid, though, I'd kill off all the people I play with... give them heart attacks... :lol:

Anyhow... time to test that "youtubePL" tag...

Hey, it works! Finally.... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 00:57 
Joo Too
Joo Too

EmRatThich wrote:
thank you iskandar and lorre.
I will cover some LP topics which will interest some players in ooak I think :)

Looking forward to it. ;)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 01:01 
Joo Too
Joo Too

iskandar taib wrote:
2) "Explosiveness" - many parts to this but one interesting point was to relax your GRIP until the moment of contact, when you squeeze harder, and then immediately relax again. Playing with relaxed muscles has been mentioned quite a bit in the past, mainly in discussions with Agenthex and Brett, but the main problem I have is - how to you TEACH someone to "relax" when playing?? Apparently big dividends to be had in terms of speed and power if you can do it.

You can't learn to relax when playing like you study a book or learn to ride a bycicle. Exposure to the stressful events and knowing stress isn't necessary are the only ingredients you need to learn how to relax. That and time.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 01:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Lorre wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

You can't learn to relax when playing like you study a book or learn to ride a bycicle. Exposure to the stressful events and knowing stress isn't necessary are the only ingredients you need to learn how to relax. That and time.

I think this is a separate issue (handling stress through relaxing). What he's talking about is relaxing joints and limbs to produce more powerful shots (through whip action). I'm pretty sure THIS can be taught, or coached. How? I suppose the Chinese know.. maybe we'll find out. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 03:01 
Joo Too
Joo Too

iskandar taib wrote:
I think this is a separate issue (handling stress through relaxing). What he's talking about is relaxing joints and limbs to produce more powerful shots (through whip action). I'm pretty sure THIS can be taught, or coached. How? I suppose the Chinese know.. maybe we'll find out. :lol:

Iskandar

I was answering your question about teaching a player how to relax while playing. But my conclusion for your other interpretation of relaxing is the same. You can't consciously learn a body part to relax. Once you're acting on trying to relax something, you're not relaxing.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 04:04 

Blade: SK Carbon /Garaydia T5000
FH: H3 Neo/TibharEvolutionMXP
BH: Spectol S1 /VictasV>15
Relaxing the muscle, this like Bruce Lee"s Kung Fu, he always said you need to relax the muscle & body, only use them at the second you hit, after that relax again... so his "inch punch" is so powerful in a very short distance and movement are so quick. This can be practiced. Just like to coordinate mind and body, you repeat the same movement till you feel it is right. In other words, have you ever tried to hit sandbag? You cannot keep hitting it with full force continuously all the time, only 5 minutes with full force, you will so tried and then will lose all the power, you will become soft, just remember the feeling, keep hitting the sandbag with full force for one movement and then use the soft hit for another movement... hard, soft, hard, soft... from slow to fast continuously, after you get into the rhythm and used to it... the muscle will remember it automatically. Applying the same concept into table tennis, practice with your bat on movement and hit with soft and hard strength alternately... after millions practices ... you will learn it. Just remember to keep the posture correct, as when you feel tried, you will lose the form, the worst is repeatedly practicing with wrong posture...

This is what I thought.

The Buddha said: “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly,...” And to play table tennis.

天下武功 ,無堅不摧 ,唯快不破

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 12:46 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
emrat gaming is what i watch on the daily baysis haha, keep them videos coming!

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 16:38 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
If EmRatThich can get me to loosen my death grip on the racket, he's the greatest coach ever. Many have tried and failed. :(

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 21:05 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Botox? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 23:19 

Thank you iskandar for your interesting observations !

Finally, as promised, this is the tutorials for the penholders. By collecting several footages, I want to show to the new players where to apply the pressure in the penhold grip. We are learning the penhold grip from Xu Xin, Wang Hao, Ma Lin and others. I think this video would help you to improve your penhold shots, especially the RPB (Reverse Penhold Backhand).

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 10:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Suddenly remembered this video about relaxing the arm and rotating the body while looping...

Maybe, to learn to relax the arm, practice like the bear?

Iskandar