OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 May 2017, 10:09 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Ive been helping a few older guys (like me) to improve even though I am no expert.
Thanks ttedge.com for giving me the tools to be helpful!!
I was wondering how the coaches here teach to be relaxed in forehand, backhand, serves etc etc.
This seems such a key to develop racket head speed.
We do some exercises based on ttedge.com but this does not easily transfer to matches.
I was thinking for myself after each point to wave my wrist to get the relaxation feeling.
Are there any tips on this topic or is it just endless repetition????

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 13 May 2017, 11:12 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Apparently, relaxation comes from good technique, not the other way around, according to Brett. It's true, it's been working for me.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 May 2017, 11:58 

One method is to focus on being 'graceful'. They usually slow down, become less robotic and more elastic when that word is used. Everything should be 'graceful', as though they are being judged on the beauty of their form, not just the results.

Individual students will need different approaches to teaching. Some need metaphors and abstractions, some need more realism and details.

PostPosted: 15 May 2017, 08:03 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Don't worry about your arm. Let it be loose and turn your waist. If you use you arm the muscles contract in order to utilize their strength....which is the definition of NOT relaxed

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 15 May 2017, 12:03 
Super User

I am going to try the tip on being graceful and looking good on my strokes. Thanks WorkoutMontage. At least I will look good when I get blocked off the table!!!!! The few guys I advice have always used effort in strokes from day one and it is hard to try to get them to reprogram to being relaxed.

PostPosted: 15 May 2017, 14:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you follow the advice on Brett's video, the way this translates into game play is to not rush the backswing. If you do the backswing too early then you end up having to pause at the end of the backswing, in which case you lose the whip effect and have to use arm muscle power to swing forward. Time the whole stroke as a whole, start the backswing at the right time.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 May 2017, 05:51 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
The whole Whip thing is a bit odd if you ask me. The only person I can think of who used to loop like that is WLQ. As for the relaxation, I would strongly recommend bringing a camcorder with you and just recording your practice and matches. And angle it such that you would film your side of the table only. This was by far the biggest breakthrough I've come across for myself in recent months. Compare your footage to a pro of your choice (for example, Ma Long), adjust, and keep going.

Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNhdaK20eE4

PostPosted: 25 May 2017, 06:40 
Super User

The last time I watched video of myself I was just depressed. I will try this again! I think I have got more relaxation in my strokes so I should look a bit better.
I see from the video a mini whip motion as he starts the forward rotation just before the arm.

PostPosted: 25 May 2017, 07:48 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
There is no doubt in my mind that one should loop using their body... I was just saying that the ttedge guy was overdoing it a bit in a demo

PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 13:27 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Don't know about overdoing it, but the point about not making the backswing too early and making it part of the shot is 100% valid (this is towards the end of the video). Make it too early, and you're forced to pause at the end of the backswing and then you'll need to use shoulder/arm muscle instead of the whip action to get the desired racket speed. Get this right and the relaxation will come, get this wrong and you're forced to tense up to make the shot. It's not just in your forehand loops, either - the idea applies equally much to serves, to backhand topspin drives (do a search for "tick-whip", a video will make itself evident..), etc.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 20:08 

This is why the word 'rhythm' is sometimes used in TT (and why your opponent's rhythm can be disrupted or taken advantage of). Your backswing is moving in time with the flow of the ball. It shouldn't get ahead or behind or you'll be more likely to make mistakes. It's just like rate of weight transfer when moving to music. If you move too early or late, you're off time, and you'll have to do more work to correct yourself.