OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 19:46 

Hi.
I'm 21yo player of TT. I've been playing TT for 7yrs 2 or 3 times a week. In my country there is no rating but I'm not totally beginner. My forehand loops are getting better and better, especially after losing 15kg of weight (now i'm 73kg and 182cm of height). I play LP on bh side for about 3 years, because my technique of BH was wrong... I 'break' my wrist while looping similar to LP pushing- my coach told me it's not right technique, but there are some people that do it. Apart from that i was bad at reading of serve spin, now i'm better at this. In these 3yrs of playing LP i had 2 episodes of playing double inverted but my team was upset at me because i'm better with LP than with double inverted. I played classical defence far from table, but for last 2/3 months i play near the table with 0.5mm sponge LP. I'm getting faster and faster and I attack as much as it's possible for my FH. Becuase of having LP on BH I have to stay some area of playing uncovered, because i loop with FH at the place where is BH (for right handed people). I tried my friend blade with Rasant Powersponge and Rasant Grip on Andro Temper Tech all+ (which is off- in my opinion) and it was nice looping BH with it. For 3 weeks our league is having a break and the next round starts on February 2018. I have a felling that LP brake me down and I could be much better player if I could do a ffirst loop and block with BH.
Do you think I should try to play with double inverted even with my not good technique?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 20:08 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
There are different ways to consider this question, but I think the simplest, and the one which I think should be the guiding principle for most players, is what do you *want* to do? By this I mean, what sort of thing do you like? What sort of player do you want to become? What sort of shots do you enjoy playing most? Which players do you admire most?

For example, I play with LP on my BH, and have done for 90%+ of my playing life. Sometimes I've thought 'maybe I should try to play with inverted rubber' or 'maybe I should try hitting with SP on my BH' etc etc, but I always come back to the fact that I *like* playing with LP on my BH. I like the tactics I've developed, I like chopping, and I like varying spin and speed. It's entirely possible that in the long term I might achieve a higher ranking by investing the time learning to play with inverted on my BH, but ranking isn't everything.

In your case, I think you have several options.:

1) Yes, of course you could switch to inverted. You will certainly have a bumpy ride learning to return serve well, but you'll probably fairly quickly develop a BH hit, and possibly BH loop, which are of immense value in the modern game.

2) You could invest some time learning how to attack with LP. It's not impossible, and very effective. Many people are taken aback by people with LP on their BH who can attack with them. This could give you an edge.

3) You could invest some time in developing your footwork and speed, and attack using your FH from your BH side. This is what I do, to good effect. As long as you are careful with placement, and can move and recover quickly, this is a very effective approach.

4) You could invest some time in learning how to twiddle and attack. I do this a little, but I find it error-prone, but I know other people who have mastered this, and use it very dangerously. If you can do this, you have the best of both worlds - you can attack with your BH, and use all your LP shots, and return serve with LP, and/or inverted if it seems like the right shot.

Hopefully that's some thought-provoking ideas, at the very least. Good luck.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 20:33 

Thanks for reply. I like watching every type of players- both attacking and defending but I love most Ma Long, Zhang Jike and generally attacking style. I took LP to hide my technique... I play like in your 3rd point but it's hard to attack fast enough with def blade and tacky rubber that I love. Opponent is able to block it on a straight line and now I have a problem here. Twidling is not for me- I try to learn it. I play tacky rubber so even after twidling it's not comfortable to play tacky rubber on BH. Apart from that, innext year i change a club due to new school (studies) where level will be higher and that's why I have idea to switch LP. Here, my coach come for training only 1/2 times a month, he doesn't have time for playing. In new club there will be professional coach every training so there is a chance of improving BH technique.
I ordered Yinhe T7s blade and Hurricane 8 for my FH that i'm waiting for. I have an old sheet of Hexer Powersponge 2.1 which I can put to check how it's playing for me :)

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 22:01 
LP Collector
LP Collector

rocket222 wrote:
I play like in your 3rd point but it's hard to attack fast enough with def blade and tacky rubber that I love. Opponent is able to block it on a straight line and now I have a problem here.

Two points here:

1) You need to be really really careful with placement when playing FH from your BH. If you play right to where your opponent is, you're inviting a fast block wide to your FH, and you'll struggle to get there in time. Instead, play where your opponent needs to move, or to their crossover, or short and wide, so it's hard to block. When you play away from the opponent, they will mostly likely try to play cross court, because it's the longest, safest, and most familiar shot, so that gives you a clue as to where to expect their next shot, and where you need to be for your recovery.

2) Don't make your first shot wide on your FH a fast one. Better go for a slow and very spinny shot. This is much harder to block aggressively, and gives you more time to recover.

Both points relevant if you decide to play BH inverted!

Sounds to me like you've made up your mind - good luck - I look forward to hearing how you develop.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 03:27 

I know what You are talking about :) I try to do like You wrote but it's not always possible. Yeah, I made up my mind, all of 5 teammates are LP/SP, me too, and I can't even practise my LP blocking because all switched to pips :D And my game evolved so I practically never defend, I'm looking for a chance to attack. Opponents see that and play to my LP. I think I willbe better player if I will play inverted, so I will try it after my new blade come. Do You think I should put my Hexer Powersponge or buy something? Money isn't problem for me :) Rasant Grip was a bit too fast, Rasant PowerSponge was nice. I have Beat 1.7 too, but it was too soft for me :)

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 03:42 
LP Collector
LP Collector

I really liked Hexer Powersponge. Was the first non-chinese inverted rubber I ever used. Good quality, nice feel, lots of grip, and soft enough but not too mushy. My inverted investigations led me to the Nittaku Fast Arc series - G1 is an excellent rubber. But really you won't go wrong with any of these modern rubbers.