OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Anticipation
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 08:00 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
I have been told differing advice on how to anticipate and read where the ball is going. I suck at this skill.

One coach yesterday told me just to really focus on the ball and you will pick up the bat angle as it hits the bat.

Another forum post has this...

Everytime you hit the ball, look straight at yr opponents bat/paddle, don't watch the ball as it leaves your bat, pick it up as it comes into view on his, and you will quickly find that you are slightly ahead of play.

Another coach told me just watch the ball and your peripheral vision can read the ball angle.

There seems to be two thoughts, always watch the ball and another is to take your focus on bat angle then watch the ball.

What to the experts on this forum think the best approach is?

Post subject: Re: Anticipation
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 08:13 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Andro Rasanter r47 2.3mm
BH: S&T Hellfire 0.9
I'm no expert, but these are my thoughts. Firstly, their body position. This tells you a lot, depending on how side on they are, you can have a good shout on where they're likely to hit the ball. Of course, like every tip, you can never be 100% accurate, but you can improve your chances. Also, like you said, looking at the opponents bat is a big part. The point of contact of the ball with the ball can tell you exactly where it's going, so if you can see a little earlier, where the ball is likely going to be hit and at what angle, you can anticipate where it will go with a bit of practice. Another thing which helps, once you get to know a player, after a while you can see there habits e.g flicking down the line against serve. This is another factor, which lets you be at eaze a little more not having to worry as much. Again, different things work for different people, so it's your job to see what works for you.
Hope I helped!

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 08:17 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Thanks for the reply. Do you take your eye off the ball to check out the body position and then bat angle? I must admit I do not watch the body position at all. This was a result of a lot of robot training early on I feel.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 08:47 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

maurice101 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Do you take your eye off the ball to check out the body position and then bat angle? I must admit I do not watch the body position at all. This was a result of a lot of robot training early on I feel.

You should be trying to use your peripheral vision, after the oppo plays his shot and place the ball where it will be uncomfortable and will hurt his rhythm and take him out of his comfort zone.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 10:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think this is a very important skill, often underestimated, and something that few of us (myself included) focus on.

I found the ttEdge App to be particularly useful to train my brain to pick up on this, both for serves and shots. At first I really struggled to see the difference, but after a while it teaches you to look at the right things (discussed is some detail of the ttEdge thread), making it a lot easier.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 11:02 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
As a retriever, I rely on anticipation a lot. With orthodox players of most ilks, I have an idea of where the ball is going most of the time. It is the unorthodox, mostly self-taught, players who have weird strokes that give me trouble. That can take me a while to work out thing like their habitual shots or their habitual responses to your shots.

As for how I do it, I think it is experience and watching the bat and ball closely, as well as the opponent's body language.

I am one of those who keeps their eye on the ball the whole time, or at least tries to. If I am forced to recover by turning away from the table after returning a wide hard shot to either side, I find I am almost in panic mode for that instance it takes to find the ball again. As an aside to that, I am crap at multi-ball as I am still watching the previous ball when the next ball is coming.