OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 01:13 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
Hi guys;

I like to read you all. I recognized myself in many of your most difficulties.

This is data I thought it would be helpfull also:

I think the primary thing to do before anything else is to find what kind of mindset you really like when you play ping-pong ?
or how peoples would define you as a player ?

What wood you say to your opponent?

¨Hey you, I will kill you with my attack¨
¨Try me, I will be like a wall with my chop¨
¨Are you ready to run because I will make you to move you right and left ¨

For myself the mindset I have when I play is:

¨ You will be amazed how unpredictable I am .

That was the mind set when I started to play with LP. ( I though it would bring me a lot of variation)

Then after 5 years, I lost this mindset. I was going back from the table to chop with BH and do some FH fishing. But I was not happy as I was not unpredictable. The mindset was then ¨Lets try to stay in the game. An other ball on the table. I was receiving an attack not creating one with unpredictability.

So I started to play FH 3rd ball attack with FH. Win more games but didn't have any BH. So opponant start to play me on my BH. Near the table I found it difficult to play Counterattack. Blocks were going outside and attack into the net. ( not enough grip) I play very low with my Fh and stand up with my BH. So you can see how difficult it become ! So I played 90% on my FH with attack and 10% with a Bh return service and few pushes. It was not what I call unpredictable.

Then since a year I went to MP. The rubber that still have some reversal, good control on receiving services and on doing shot,good in the classic chop but also can block, counterattacks, chop block, etc.

I feel I just touch the surface yet but I regain this mindset that make me happy: unpredictable

It make a lot of shot to practice.

Then I started to scout the opponant to see his strong shot and his weakness and use my tools to play him unpredictably. Often I play too much loose without thinking and of course it is more unpredictable for him and me. But looking at it i can see reel patern that I do instinctively. use

e.g He start by a slow loop, I will do a short counterattack. He's surprise AS I was doing a classic chop the shot before. He continue slow loop and I then pivot and block far to the right very near the rebound with my Hurricane 3 rubber and he start running to get the ball. If he get it then I finish the point with a killing loops or smash. Next time I will just block to the left very short.

I can go on and on on this. It's mind puzzling for the opponent but for me also as I often do it by instinct until I start to write the shot I do. All these shot need practice and to be very good at it, I think it will take me an other 5 years. ( I just practice once a week) So why not having a regular rubber for my BH ? I love too much the reversal, the very flat attack, how easy to play attck with my MP against chops, how much control I have for all these variations. It ming buggling to the opponant.

I practiced with the Canadian woman champion, about 2800 rating, and after the very first training we did a litlle match and started to play. I was winning 9 to 3 agaisnt her and lost finally 17 to 15. She then asked me why I started to go in the back do defense chopping ? You were leading, the answer was that I wanted to keep the advance and was afraid to loose so I play defense mode .(Lets try to put the ball on the table.) She said ¨ Never change a winning strategy. It fit you so much. I had to think all the time and watch what will be your next shot. Very chessplay mode.

So If you realy like your style and know what to do it is easier to put time on it and really enjoy ping-pong !!!

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 07:26 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
maddrag - this is very close to how I play as well. It pretty much encapsulates my philosophy too.

Like you, last Monday night I was up 7-3 in the deciding game then lost. My opponent commented that it was at that score that I changed to being safe and lost.

Note that I am not a chopper but a retriever and I can still identify with this.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 22:15 
Super User

hi guys !

I'm continuing in my reflexion today about strategy and style.

Yesterday was my first night of the beginning of the season at my club. I played some game just for fun and did realised something.

I had a few set up of blades and rubbers to try. Amonst that I found the combinaison of blade and rubber that match to my style. I found the very effective push that create good follow up with Fh attack with a loop kill.

Then I realised that all the pratice with my backhand at 90% of the time just erradicated what I was very good at. Good serves, ball placement and loop kill with the FH. I start to emphasize the serves return being more to the left side to really play more with that FH. So now it is: Heavy spin serve short-attack or placements with push or chopblock, block or counter than the FH loop. I feel I regain 300 points of rating just there.

Blade wise I got a slower blade to control more my pattern and my style of play.

So Finding what you're good at and then choose the equipment that goes with it and then practice your pattern.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 08:34 

This makes sense to me, and I guess I am still trying to determine what I want to be- pure chopper on both sides? Chop on backhand only attack with forehand a la Ruwen Filus? Its hard for me to determine what to do and when. I do need to practice my forehand loop for the put aways.

I tend to react to what the other player is giving me, and try to find out what they dont want Vrs. starting out with my own style and sticking to it. Once I find out what they dont like, then I give them lots of that. Is this correct?

My son tends to think I should loop more, but the players I play love loops- thats all they practise with with each other, thats all they play, and they love it. Why would I give them what they love?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 00:02 
Super User

like i said its not only what The other one don't like but what you like. Its your fun with this sport that is important. I hate chopping all the time from the back. So I'm not persuing in that way. What play make you proud ? Play with peoples of your strengh and develop your style than go forward in that direction. There is a chinese girl who play BH with a feint long (LP) and play attack at the table with it. Nobody was suggesting to do that. But after many hours of training she finish secound in the Hong Kong open ITTF event. She beat some champions.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!