OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Returning pendulum serve
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 22:50 

Blade: Addidas avenger 7
FH: Donic Desto f3
BH: super 999t
Right now returning normal pendulum serves is the weakest part of my game. I cant deal with heavy side spin pendulum serve, especially from a penholder. So far i can only block with backhand and loop with forehand if it doesnt go into the net.
Currently running nittaku violin with fastarc g1. The ultimate question is how do i aggressively return pendulum serve?

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2018, 14:47 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

It is impossible to give any advice without knowing your standard, the quality of the serves you are facing, what type of serves that bother you (short, long, backspin-sidespin, topspin-sidespin), and seeing your technique. Posting a video would make things much easier.

In the meantime, this might help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=A96q8X1SrcI

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2018, 02:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I'm going to assume the original poster is a beginner, and isn't anywhere near ready for flicks. If he is better than this, he can ignore it, but I hope what I write below will be useful to any rank beginners who happen to read it.

The easiest way to deal with the sidespin is the block it back with an angled bat. Observe the direction the opponent's bat is moving. If he/she is a right hander, a pendulum serve (by definition towards the body) would be from his right to his left, and from YOUR left to your right. Looked at from above, this ball is rotating clockwise. So if you block it without angling your bat, it's going to shoot off to YOUR right. In other words, it's going to shoot off in the direction your opponent's bat is moving (from your point of view). So to compensate, angle your bat to the left, to make the ball go in that direction.

Penholders have the ability to just as easily do a reverse pendulum serve (away from the body), in this case, the ball is going to shoot off to YOUR left and you need to angle your bat so it goes to the right. It's probably best if you get together with a friend and practice pure sidepin serves and return.

An added complication - and this really bamboozles beginners - is that you can easily mix backspin OR topspin with the sidespin. And it's very easy to do either with an open bat so what you think is back + sidespin is actually top + sidespin and your return then ends up long (or worse, sails way up in the air and misses the end of the table by several feet). If you do spot the top or backspin, you'd adjust your bat angle accordingly, opening the bat to return backspin and closing it to return topspin.

As I said, try this out with a friend (in practice rather than in a game!) and see how it works. What I've described here are passive returns, they aren't the BEST way to return these serves, but it is essential to learn to do them in order to understand what's going on.

Iskandar