OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 May 2007, 11:50 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

forehandflick wrote:
Hi Speedplay

A good tip to use when returning service, especially short serves, is to make sure that you take the ball early...as in before the top of the bounce. This minimises the effect of the amount of spin your opponent has put on the ball. On top of this, it also gives your opponent less time to get into position for their next stroke. You have to make sure you are really focusing on their racket as they serve and be ready to spring into action quickly.

That's what I do too. but the reason is that it's easier to return it short when take it early. When I hit the ball when it start to drop my return will be a bit long and good player will loop kill it.[/quote]

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2007, 23:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Once you get good at reading spin a quick push off the bounce is helpful. I use that technique myself to drop underspin serves short.

Until that point, you're likely to commit more errors than you will by waiting longer to return the ball and you'll have more time to read the serve correctly and consider your best options.

-- Andrew

PostPosted: 14 May 2007, 16:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the tips forehandflick, and welcome to the forum!

forehandflick wrote:
Hi Speedplay

A good tip to use when returning service, especially short serves, is to make sure that you take the ball early...as in before the top of the bounce. This minimises the effect of the amount of spin your opponent has put on the ball. On top of this, it also gives your opponent less time to get into position for their next stroke. You have to make sure you are really focusing on their racket as they serve and be ready to spring into action quickly.

Another hint that may seem quite simple but it a little harder to put into practice is simply to back yourself on receive. You would be surprised how many good receives you can make if you are aggressive on the receive instead of being passive. Even if you are having trouble reading the spin for sure, as long as you have a general idea of what spin is on it, just back yourself and make a positive and aggressive ball.

Hope this helps!!
Forehandflick

speedplay wrote:
As you know, I currently use either Super block or Saviga V which sort of eliminates this problem. Still, I want to be able to return ANY given serve with inverted rubber if it suddenly comes to a point where I want to play with double inverted again.

There is especially one player at the club who plays some monster serves carrying loads of spin. Before the switch to Lp I managed to figure them out and return them decent. Now I stand no chance against them when I don't use the pips to return them.

What should I look for and how should I adjust my bat/stroke to it?
I think I remember something a bout looking at where he contacts the ball and try to make contact at the same side, fx he serves a heavy chop, contacting the ball at the bottom, I should return by contacting the ball at the bottom. Does this make sense on all serves?

Any other tips on how to improve that week part of my game?
Yes, I know, practise! But I was thinking about some tips to a short cut :wink: