OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2024, 01:34 

My new book is out at Amazon!!! It’s 133 pages, with 109 pictures and illustrations. There have been many instructional books on singles, but rarely more than perhaps a few pages on doubles. So, if you like doubles, this is for you! (I’ve won a lot of doubles titles, but more importantly, I’ve coached a lot of doubles champions.) Chapters include:
    -Great Partnerships
    -The Start of a Doubles Match
    -Serving in Doubles
    -Receiving in Doubles
    -Rallying in Doubles
    -Positioning & Footwork – fully illustrated
    -Secrets from the Pros – see list of interviews below
    -Tactical Doubles Stories
    -The Wacky World of Doubles – the funny side of doubles
    -Doubles Rules
    -World and Olympic Champions – complete listing

The “Secrets from the Pros” chapter includes interviews, tips, and features on great doubles champions such as Stellan Bengtsson, Gao Jun, Nikhil Kumar, Amy Wang, Jasna Rather, Dan Seemiller, Sean O’Neill, Dell & Connie Sweeris, and Dave & Donna Sakai.

The book had an incredible Editorial Board, a virtual Who’s Who of table tennis, that edited, made suggestions, and improved and approved the book. In alphabetical order, they are:
    -Angelita Bengtsson, 4-time US National Women’s Doubles Champion; member of US Table Tennis Hall of Fame and the Indian Athletic Hall of Fame.
    -Stellan Bengtsson, World Singles and Doubles Champion; long-time Swedish National Coach; and member of the US Table Tennis Hall of Fame
    -Mark Dekeyser, 40 years’ experience in singles and doubles; edited previous TT books by Larry Hodges; and author of “The No. 1 Brain Sport” in Active Seniors Digest.
    -Sean O'Neill, 5-time Men’s Singles, 5-time Men’s Doubles, and 6-time Mixed Doubles US National Champion; Two-time Olympian; member and president of US Table Tennis Hall of Fame.
    -John Olsen, USATT (State) and ITTF certified coach; Virginia State Open Doubles Champion; 16 gold medals in doubles (never lost) at the Virginia Senior Games and Northern Virginia Senior Olympics; one silver and two bronze medals for doubles at the National Senior -Games
    -Dan Seemiller, 5-time Men’s Singles, 11-times Men’s Doubles, and 8-time Mixed Doubles US National Champion; former long-time US Men’s Team Coach; member of US Table Tennis Hall of Fame.
    -Dell Sweeris, 4-time Mixed Doubles and 3-time Men’s Doubles US Open Champion; long-time US Team member and US National Coach; member of US Table Tennis Hall of Fame.
    -Dennis Taylor, USATT General Counsel for 18 years; past USATT Board Member; past chair of the USATT High Performance Committee; and member of the US Table Tennis Hall of Fame.

Get your copy now! And if you like it, give it a nice review at Amazon. If you run a table tennis site and would like to do an interview or other feature of the book, email me. If you are a table tennis distributor, email me for the wholesale price list. (Here’s a listing of all my books.)

-Larry Hodges (Member of US Table Tennis Hall of Fame and a National Coach)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2024, 02:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yeah, mixed doubles is some luxury spectacle to revel in.

https://youtu.be/t2tZV_3goVc

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2024, 10:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Congratz on the new book Larry! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2024, 11:13 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Is there or will there be digital version also?

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2024, 11:18 

rokphish2 wrote:
Is there or will there be digital version also?

There were so many graphics, especially sequence photos and ones illustrating the various types of doubles footwork, that I decided a kindle version wouldn't work well. Besides, with a print version you can write notes in the margins!
-Larry Hodges

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2024, 11:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Personally I'd always prefer a printed version over the digital one, but that may not be the case for the younger generation.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2024, 12:17 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

I probably not much younger than you. Ha! I used to like physical books. Always have book everywhere I go. Eat my meals reading books. Travel with at least a couple of books in my bag.

Somewhere along the way I got a “clean bug”. It’s hard to keep paper clean/dry from all the wiping with alcohol infused tissue. Just much easier to wipe my phone/tablet.

I’m getting better, slowly. Just not back to my old care free self just yet. Ha!

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2024, 12:28 

Some interesting thoughts here on paper vs ebooks. Personally, I read essentially all fiction on my kindle (mostly science fiction & fantasy), but for non-fiction I prefer print (table tennis, science, history, etc.). I read at least a book a week, and roughly alternate between the two. And yes, I plead guilty to the ignominious crime of often writing notes in the margins of non-fiction books.
-Larry Hodges

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2024, 12:31 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Better watch your back. They’re out to get you now that they know…

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2024, 20:08 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
I used to read a large number of books a day. When I was in hospital for an extended period as a kid, I once read 10 books in one day. (Ok probably not huge books). But over time, the numbers dropped, although I would think 1 a day would not be far off. The only time this really changed was when I went back to University in my 50s, when of course, being made to read rendered the books less interesting. The Pandemic saw a spike again. As I live in a small cottage, books now take up one entire office building (otherwise known as a converted shed.) So during the pandemic, I started using a Kindle, which is now invaluable to me. I now have a Kindle Scribe, on which you can make notes in the margins.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!