OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 03 May 2024, 00:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 22:18 

I know this is an old thread but here IMHO are my observations" Danny plays a lot like old style penholder; big forehand, strong block on the forehand. If I remember correctly the reason he used anti went by the name of DJ Lee. In his prime 70s many of the top players were long range looper, Jonyer, Klampler, and many others. His backhand grip also gave him great angles. Allowing him to move them around. I remember see many of his matches against Eric Boggan another player using a similar grip and racket type.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009, 10:48 

mynamenotbob wrote:

Thats almost exactly like my grip, but I hold the handle way lower than he does. I hold it so low that the tip of my index finger rests on the part where the extra layers for the handle tapers down into the blade, and the end of the handle is at my palm. My finger is curved a slight bit though.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009, 21:27 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

I'm currently playing a close to the table shake b/h pip blocking game, but I randomly move my thumb up onto the outer edge of the back of the blade to attack no-spin or slow top spin loops (with inverted without twiddling). Hookshot showed me this variation via some pics around 2 years ago.

It works really well when I do it at the right times- it scares the xxxx out of your opposition because in a normal rally your b/h is typically a safe spot to place a weak loop (they're expecting a slow block back). Also, it takes away the no-spin trap if I can read it and change grips fast enough.

If my surprise Seemiller like b/h attack is blocked, I'm still in Seemiller mode and can block or contine the attack with reasonable speed anywhere across the table, but as soon as I switch I lose my stronger (or at least much spinner) f/h till I change back again. (Also, the f/h attacking angles are different, which can muck me up badly without care.)

All in all, my time wondering around lost in the rainy world of the wiper grip (ie it seemed promising, but I didn't realise how much f/h spin I was sacrificing) is looking like it will pay off handsomely, because of the surprise b/h attack skill it's left me with. The well worn path is simply to twiddle for b/h attacks, but this leaves your f/h unable to continue pressing the attack, meaning the advantage is very often lost if can't win the point outright.

I'm hoping multi ball drills with a robot next year will help me setup some attacking patterns (where I get the f/h change of angles down pat), so that opponents can't get into a steady rhythm against me.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 23:09 

:) Hi All, Very interesting about this windshieid wiper grip.I played at international level in europe for about 20 years ( now only coaching) I have a 10 year old son , who has been playing for 3 years and is doing very well.I have always been of the opinion that players need to be a little different .So he is an attacking player close to the table with Haifu 111 on f/h and armstrong mid pimples on b/h.I originaly was going to teach him to twiddle but decided to try windshield shot on b/h. It has been very successful,he can block and attack with the pims and counter and fast loop with Haifu. The only thing I would say it is easier for young player as the have less shot memory in their arms. hope this might help. Barry

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 07:55 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your contribution.

Have you taught your son to switch to/from shake hand grip on his f/h, or does he use the wiper grip for his f/h as well as his b/h?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 19:20 

:D
Hi maximus,
My son plays normal f/h grip and tecnic, he switches to reverse only on b/h. The idea is now that he is getting good at the shot he will define it more for higher levels. i e play only fast over the table loops combined with b/h punches with the mid pimples. His f/h is excellent and powerful. The way he picked it up was quiet amazing ,some of the more experienced players cannot get their head around it. Also I had a difficult time explaining it to my fellow coaches.I am fortunate to have John Hilton as a good friend and he was all for it from the begining ! I am going to the top coaches weekend in Zagreb to morrow ,a top chinenes coach is advising how europe can make a world champion , I will talk to other coaches to get other opinions. Regards Barry

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 07:07 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Hi Barry,

I look forward to hearing your report.

One shot I struggle with is looping underspin with the wiper grip b/h. Becuase I'm using OX long pips, I can't hit light/medium underspin balls very hard (only heavy) with the pips. I presume this isn't a problem for your son using medium pips (with sponge?), but it's currently a hole in my game.

If I can't improve my wiper b/h attack against underspin I'll have to occasionally twiddle for this shot, but I'd rather not because it's another shot to add to an already comlex game, and more shot selection choice to be distracted by.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 21:17 

:DHi Maximus,

The problem you may have is lack of speed in the head of the bat when making contact with the ball on the b/h side.Also the power must come from the lowest part of your legs , threw your whole body and finishing at speed in the head of the bat . Good practices for this is muli/ball against backspin services and daily shadow play infront of a mirror . However you must tell yourself in your head every time you make contact with the imaginary ball.Make sure you have perfect tecnic in shadow play.A good example to follow is the Wang Hoa reverse shot on b/h with penhold, the angles are the same.The chinese head coach told us in Zagreb this week it is important to make it what they call a " FORTE ". This is a very special shot to base your game around. In other words a weapon your opponents fear not just another shot.As for Zagreb I will coment latter as there was over 10 ours of lectures to think about,
Regards Barry

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 09:24 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Barry,

I don't know if you're still around, but after thinking deeply on your advice, I've realised that my speciality stroke is my Seemiller b/h attack. It requires the ball not to be too low, and to have a minimum amount of incoming topspin (because I can't generate as much with it), but against the right incoming balls (ie a nice loop) the result is unexpected, quick off the bounce, flat, fast, and difficult to pick directionally.

As a result I'm now playing a mixture of shake and modifed Seemiller when close to the table. I've also noticed that once people get used to my modifed Seemiller f/h (wonderful for blocking), when I switch back to shake they hit long due to the extra topspin I create. Swiching grips really messes up an opponent's game, though it takes practice because the angles are quite different (for me Seemiller creates a much lower throw).

I think that retaining this uncommon grip, combined with a pips blocking game, is meaning that I'm progressing more slowly due to being more erratic, but am also becoming far more awkard and unpredictable to play against. I beat the best player in our club (11.5 11.2) for the first time last week, using this combo and b/h flat hitting his loops when he was expected a pips block. (Using slow pips means your oppenent can't stay back at a safe distance, and ususally slows down the speed of their loops - due to the underspin they're dealing with.)

1x attacking/chopping f/h = main weapon (shake)
1x inverted close-to-table-blocking f/h & b/h (Seemiller)
1x pip blocking & chopping b/h (shake)
1x attacking b/h = speciality stroke (Seemiller)

Thanks for your stories which encouraged me to keep this grip as part of my game.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 20:10 

Hi Maximus,

Very nice to hear from you again,I have done alot of work on this combination shot since I last contacted you.As an experiment how about trying this on your next training night.Hold the bat in a normal shake hands style and do not alter the grip when you play the reverse shot on the b/hand.What this does is to add a little side to your b/h loop and is great for the recieve of back spin / side services. Also as there is no change of grip you can change back to play f/hands with ease ! My son is creating great confusion with this. Good Luck Barry 8)

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 20:25 

Hi Maximus,
I forgot to tell you the most important point in this shot,you MUST POINT YOUR ELBOW AT THE ON COMING BALL on the b/h side with the force coming from your feet to your fingers ! Barry 8)

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 20:45 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Hi Barry,

Great to hear from you. I've shadow practiced this shot as described, and it looks very interesting. I will try against the robot and see if I can master it.

This is so much fun 8)

I won again tonight mainly due to my random backhand attacks. Thanks again.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 22:55 

Hi Maximus,

Just try it out am convinced with the lastest rubbers availible it ie the new version of the reverse b/hand. my son is playing haifu 3 on f/hand and just in the last few weeks a rubber (mid pimples ) armstrong 8 attack exx ,I realy rate this rubber. If you consider trying it please ak me as the sponge sizes are difficult. Good Luck Barry, please just ask if I can be of any further help.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 23:41 

Hi Maximus,

I am going to video my sons b/hand shot in the next few weeks to show the correct tecnic and the ease of transfer from b/h to f/h and b/h reverse to b/h pimples. At the moment he averages about 40 - 50 at pace changing every shot. But his f/h on its own is in the 250 - 300 mark so he needs more work on the change over.

Regards Barry

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 09:49 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Outstanding. Of course I'd love to see a video. Sometimes you can do the right things with your bat, but not with your body- and this is harder to understand from writing. Also, a video can inspire you to work really hard at mastering something you didn't think was technically possible.

Thank you in advance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!