OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 11:43 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
I play yo-yo a lot when I was younger, that helps my wrist action and I guess that help me to perfect the timing too.

I also play freezbie (ReBorn, spelling) that uses a lot of wrist action too. Corking the wrist before the release is kind of like corking the blade before the flip.

The above two actually can only help my backhand swing, didn't do a thing for my forehand.

But the one exercise that gave me the best wrist tune up is the gyroscope, by just working on it for 10 to 15 minutes, the 3" solid Dyna-Flex gadget can really tire your entire wrist muscle and even your whole arm muscle.

Next is the circular motion of Tai Chi exercise. I used to return my blades straight back after hitting and looping, and that action is not smooth enough. After learning the Tai Chi circular motions, the reaction time seems to improve.

I know George practices Chinese kung Fu and he actually incorporates the forward punch with twist into his table tennis strokes.

What else are there that help your table tennis strokes? Please share with us so we can do them as well, thank you.

(edit) Mod, please redirect this thread to the tt related General area instead. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 12:37 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Can't do the right strokes if your feet are not in the right place. I like to warm up with hacky sac.
When I used to rock climb, we used hacky then also. Loosens up everything. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 22:21 
HE-LP on land or sea

My foot work has gotten better since living on the ship. Nothing like moving through cramped spaces whilst the ship is taking 15-20 degree rolls. Thank god I'm on a destroyer not a frigate!

Yasaka YEO
FH : Nittaku H3 Neo
BH : VEGA PRO MAX
Go Chicago White Sox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 02:59 
Super User

Actually, Tat, your Newgy 2040 is one of the best ways to work on this.

After reading the various types of exercises that come in the training manual with the robot and exchanging a few emails with Larry Thoman on About.com I have changed my morning excise routine to do the following:

A 20 minute set of forehand/backhand drills where the ball is placed in the middle of the backhand court with a speed and frequency setting of 3.5 and oscillation turned off. I do one stroke as a forehand, step around, and do next stroke as a backhand, step around and do the next stroke as a forehand. By varying where I am placing the strokes I can also vary the intensity of the set.

I then take a five-minute rest and begin my next 20 minute set:

I set the oscillation to spray across three quarters of the table from my extreme forehand through half way into my backhand court and force myself to hit everything with the forehand. It's amazing how much more consistent it is making my strokes. The most amazing thing -- it is actually teaching me footwork!

By ensuring that I keep my weight over both feet and don't lean into my forehand stroke, I am finding that I am automatically having to move my feet, even a little, between every stroke. I'm actually learning how to use footwork. It's an amazing thing...

Saviga V 0.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 03:08 
HE-LP on land or sea

For me, also the change to defender has done wonderes for me on the footwork front. I am mentally expecting to have to move to each ball instead of having to lean into that I could get away with as an attacker.

Yasaka YEO
Go Chicago White Sox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 03:15 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Thank you, hookshot, Robert, Speedplay and Mike for answering.

Mike I feel that my foot work is decent enough that I don't need to work on it too much, besides, I have to move three cars out of the garage first before playing any tt. Hookshot and I both do ball room dancing, the quick step, cha cha cha or the east coast swing can really work up the foot work. :wink:

But, next time when George or Bill has no time for practice, I should do what you do, to force myself hitting more forehand. You see, I became backhand oriented, anything close to the body, I'll try to use backhand, even with chicken wing strokes. Bad habit, to say the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 06:09 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
speedplay wrote:
tatlwai wrote:
You see, I became backhand oriented, anything close to the body, I'll try to use backhand, even with chicken wing strokes. Bad habit, to say the least.

Question, this chicken wing habit appear when you switched to pips or was it the same when you played double inverted?

I noticed that as soon as I started to feel comfortable with my pips, I begun the bad habit of forming a chicken wing stroke, despite the fact that I aim to play a forehand oriented game :?

I've managed to correct it now and the few times I still play the chicken wing shot, it's purely because of lazy feet :oops:

At the risk of going against what is considered correct table tennis form, I think there's nothing wrong with an occasional chicken wing stroke in an at-the-table blocking game. Dr. Neubauer has extensive sections on this technique for both anti and pips on his latest DVD. It can be quite effective.

That said, even I would consider chicken-winging with an R*1 ten feet behind the table to be a bad habit. :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey Tat, I might be there in February.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Last edited by mynamenotbob on 29 Dec 2008, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 06:12 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Fortunately, this chicken wing stroke was formulated before I used pips. In reality, this chicken wing stroke is pretty useful, think about it, with the elbow up and the raquet point down like that, you have lots of options of:
1. side spin by throwing to your left,
2. side spin by throwing to your right,
3. tap the ball straight on,
4. push down to produce knuckle ball,
or
5. side top spin to what ever side you want.

Yeah, I found this chicken wing stroke very useful indeed. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 08:55 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

mynamenotbob wrote:

At the risk of going against what is considered correct table tennis form, I think there's nothing wrong with an occasional chicken wing stroke in an at-the-table blocking game. Dr. Neubauer has extensive sections on this technique for both anti and pips on his latest DVD. It can be quite effective.

That said, even I would consider chicken-winging with an R*1 ten feet behind the table to be a bad habit. :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey Tat, I might be there in February.

Great, I guess I am in good company then. If performed correctly, this chicken wing stroke could be in form form, at least, the direction of where I hit the ball is unpredictable. OK, I might have to find a video clip that I did correct pleasant chicken wing stroke.

MNNB, that is extremely good news, I think Robert (rmaxmuellusn) is coming back from Japan by Februar too. Furthermore, I will be a free man from February 1 till February 13; Mrs is going to Hong Kong, I will be all by myself. Let me know the dates and we can have a big party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 11:29 
Cho Tokusen

Tatlwai, which Tai Chi version you are referring : 24-pattern, 42-pattern or others ? I can do only 24-pattern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 11:52 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

The 108 version of Wu Style, it took me a whole year of week after week to learn them all. There are a total of 4 pages of 27 pattern each, and I used to practice them in the morning.

It usually took me at least 1/2 to complete the whole thing. Now, unfortunately, I forgot most of them and can only remember a portion. Fortunately, I still have the DVD I bought from the teacher, just need to review the whole thing again to remember.

It did help the return of blade with semi circular motion instead of straight line. Hope you continue to practice yours no matter how many pattern there are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 06:14 

I consider myself to be rather an expert in golf as well as TT. I find that one benefits the other in terms of exercising the wrist, arm and back muscles as well as keeping the hand-eye co-ordination in check. Great for the back hand especially. harder ball though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 17:48 
HE-LP on land or sea

That'd be awesome. I'd have to hit up not bob for some chopping advice and tat for arracking with pips.

Yasaka YEO
Go Chicago White Sox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 04:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

tatlwai wrote:
Fortunately, this chicken wing stroke was formulated before I used pips. In reality, this chicken wing stroke is pretty useful, think about it, with the elbow up and the raquet point down like that, you have lots of options of:
1. side spin by throwing to your left,
2. side spin by throwing to your right,
3. tap the ball straight on,
4. push down to produce knuckle ball,
or
5. side top spin to what ever side you want.

Yeah, I found this chicken wing stroke very useful indeed. :wink:

You can't beat turning a mistake in to something positive :lol: In all honesty though, the best place for chicken wings is KFC :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 03:21 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Dark horse wrote:
You can't beat turning a mistake in to something positive :lol: In all honesty though, the best place for chicken wings is KFC :wink:

You need to buy the new Dr. Neubauer DVD to learn correct chicken wing technique. Once you experience the thrill, you'll be using it too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Last edited by mynamenotbob on 07 Jan 2009, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!