OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2007, 21:28 
I am Legend
I am Legend

haha
Yes, Tie Yana is one of the better looking top10 women.
She FH counterloops a fair bit from what I can remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2007, 21:45 
Rubber Killer!

aw Crud......just realized Gregg Letts has already written up articles on playing styles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2007, 22:36 
Super User

agooding2 wrote:

Toshio Tasaki and Yang Min are good examples of this as were Kim Ki Taek, Chen Longcan and Jiang Jialiang from a few years ago.

Another category might be SP blockers like He Zhi Wen and Gao Jun. They don't push much, but flip the ball more to get a tospin rally going.

Thanks Andrew, my brain wasn't working this morning and couldn't think of other examples.

Post subject: Re: Styles (updated)
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2007, 23:59 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

LawOCG wrote:
I just decided to list all the styles that are present in TT so we can all discuss their strengths and weaknesses and tips on how to play/play against them.

Pusher/Blocker-Smasher

These players tend to have excellent pushes and heavy backspin serves. Their primary goal is to lure you into a weak opening loop in which they can block or smash depending on the situation. There is a lot of variation in this style as the aggressiveness of the blocker varies. Some like to block till no tomorrow, while others like to pound the @#$23 out of the ball when they get the chance. One downfall of this style is that they depend on the opponents spin and pace.

Top Representatives: Don't know any besides Carl Prean from way back, He twiddled with Long Pips and Inverted.

Hmmm..... I play a modified style (to Prean) not sure I'd describe it as you'd done though. This style is about introducing variation in topspin in the same way that a chopper varies the back spin.

If the aspect ratio rule was loosed to say 1.4 (was 1.3 now 1.1) I'd chop. What you want is the pips to bend double and be unstable then there's loads of random effects.

Those are not pushes Prean is doing they are punch blocks (sink) which he was varying with moderate topspin (loop) and heavy topspin (inverted)

Last edited by Mathias on 13 Jun 2007, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2007, 00:08 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

LawOCG wrote:
Backspin Defender
Against high level loopers, choppers are also at a disadvantage as equipment these days favor the loopers..... not for long though

and don't forget the favourable rules!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2007, 05:16 
Super User

lol my style is fh mainly flat hitting but I also block quite a lot and I also use xtreme heavy sidespin loops(leftie). If I want I can also push and slice. I block and flat hit a lot with my bh I also push and slice(I practice bh loops). With slicing I mean like chopping a hit or drive if I'm out of position. So I actually think I'm pretty all around some guys say that I just do a bit of every thing:X. But mainly against stronger players I block and hit a lot more. So I can also be a flat hitter/blocker

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2007, 09:22 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Speedplay, you will NEVER have more energy than I, but then again, no one usually does. Translating that into winning Table tennis is another issue. On match days, I hit 14 hours and enjoy every minute of it. I had better, as it costs USD $50 a tourney. I do like some of your "Survivor" mentality as you can't always dictate how the point goes with everybody.

As I posted earlier, I try to be a looper, from boths sides. I like hitting BH loops, because I am consistant and BH looping really cuts down on the footwork. Also, an opponent doesn't expect a speedy BH return so much, a plus for me.I also like the deceptiveness of the BH attack. You can redirect the shot anywhere depending on how long you carry the wrist. It is so fun to setup an opponent to the wide FH and carry it over to the wide BH - all they do is look at it and softly curse. Maybe the best term for me is aggressive looper. I like the mid distances the best, but I rarely get chances to hit from them as I play LP players who like to leave it short a lot - they just don't hit the ball long enough to do mid powerloops.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2007, 10:47 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Mathias wrote:
If the aspect ratio rule was loosed to say 1.4 (was 1.3 now 1.1) I'd chop. What you want is the pips to bend double and be unstable then there's loads of random effects.

Better modify this, I meant to say I would start to learn how to chop, partic from Greggy's posts I'd need to learn. I'll 'roll with the spin' on pips vs. topspin but thats not quite the same thing.

Oh BTW Speedplays aspect ratio rule would need to be like doubles if Bryce long was to be legal - 3mm!! unless of course the pips were to be 3mm wide

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2007, 17:10 
Super User

I am a far from the table chopper. I switched from two-wing looper because I was sick and tired of losing points through my own errors, and because I prefer to turn table tennis into a physical battle whenever possible. I think 3rd ball attack bashing is deathly boring, and I love using my agility and athleticism to force long, punishing rallies. As physically demanding as it is being a "retriever", it isn't easy aggressively looping heavy brick chops over and over either.

I enjoy running around 20 feet behind the table hacking away at chops, lobbing, fishing, guide blocking, anything to keep the attacker off balance and tired, only to race in and end the point with a forehand hit of any poor drop shot or passive loop! Chopping defense brought the fun in table tennis back for me, and damn the ITTF if they do anything more to hamper the style.

blade BTY Photino ST/Palio HengDa #1 ST, fh Palio Macro ERA 42deg MAX, bh Palio CK531A OX

TT Armory, N. America Palio distributor. Macro ERA Tensor, Biotech rubbers, and more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2007, 20:55 

Kreanga is one of the first players that spring to mind when I think about a Two-Winged Looper, mainly because that's all he seems to do... backhand loop, forehand loop, backhand block and serve.

BH: Inspirit Quattro 39deg
FH: Inspirit Quattro 42deg
Blade: Andro Supercore Off- / Gambler Black Diamond Balsa Texalium Off+

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2007, 22:35 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

speedplay wrote:
You also forgott about the "survivor", my style of play.

Since we're allowed to make up our own categories, I'm a 2-winged close to the table Seemiller all round spin attacker & blocker, who chops away from the table. :roll:
I'm also left handed and heavily addicted to sidespin. At the end of the night my club members put me back into my exhibit cage.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Last edited by Shoebox9 on 14 Jul 2007, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2007, 22:56 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe MC2
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 3 39deg
BH: Victas Ventus Extra
i love serving.

if the game was just serves (kinda like penalty shots).. u serve they return or miss.. u get a point or lose.. i'd play that game for life! :)

any other people out there whose serves are of higher level than their play?

so this means, every game i lose 1-2 points on missed serves, cuz i'm pushing myself more than i should. (is this a style on its own?)

other than that, i play close to the table, and i like to topspin every ball that's out there, especially the chopped ones.. but i find myself pushing and blocking more often than i like, probably cuz my footwork isn't like timo.