OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 13 May 2024, 15:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2007, 22:13 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe MC2
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 3 39deg
BH: Victas Ventus Extra
lol that's an awesome idea!

everytime u serve, u can look at the list again!

it would be funny if you jot down ur serve sequence!
(1) his serve
(2) his serve
(3) side chop short BH
(4) side top short BH
(5) his serve
(6) his serve
(7) flat elbow long
(8) topspin elbow long
(9) his serve
(10) his serve
(11) chop FH short
(12) celebrate \o/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2007, 23:54 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Thanks guys,
It is a good idea that I have been using for about 2 years now. Not only do you get reminded to use some of the things you forget, it goes to the heart of the problem of concentration.
How many times have you been caught up in a match (usually close) and not given enough thought about your next serve? I used to.
But the real reason I came up with it you may not believe, but it is true. I was coaching at a college and grade school, sometimes 6 days a week. The problem? "I found myself IN MATCHES, returning balls like I would for a student"!!!!
Six days a week of trying to return balls FOR the student had become habit! My brain forgot I was supposed to make it hard for the other guy, not easy. The cheat sheet did the job and I am now back to my old "sneaky, nasty, tricky, no good self".
The shot I am working on now is to get in the habit of angling blocks instead of just blocking back. This is a part of the mental game arlene talked about. In practice, you try to block "to" your partner to keep the volley going. The cheat sheet helps remind me to "make it hard, not easy".
If you go to a tourney alone or don't have a coach to keep reminding you of things, the sheet works. You can't get lost in thought about how you missed the last shot when the list keeps telling you things to do and keep "THINKING"

:D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 00:04 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Hi arlene,
I have a written sheet in the bag that I pick what to write on my hand from. You could tack that list on the edge of the table to refer to during a game but would probably get called for delay of game. LOL.
The big difference in our lists is mine jogs your memory "During" a game. I also found out to only put 4 or 5 things, no more. You can change them after each game in a match if needed. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 14:57 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Isn't it amazing that I revert to two or three serves throughout a tight match instead of mixing in all the serves I know? This failure of the mental aspect of the games costs critical points, believe it...

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 15:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yep the reason for losing a match are often so simple and basic... but you can't see it untill someone points it out to you afterwards...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2007, 09:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Good tips speedplay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2007, 10:49 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
Thanks Speedplay,

When a player is much better than me, I don't mind losing, especially when I know that I played my best. It's when I lose to players who are not as good and I find myself not playing my optimum best that I end up kicking myself!

I do love this sports. During the Queen's Birthday, Table Tennis Victoria held a week-end Country Week Competition, that's 3 days of playing table tennis and I enjoyed it tremendously. At the end of that event, our team won in our division and I was top aggregate player as well.

The thing is, I seem to play better when I am in a team. But when I am playing for myself (as in the Veteran's Event), I tend to choke up.

Anyway, like what you and Haggisv said, ONE point at a time. And I think just to mess up with the opponent's brain, I will have that "cheat sheet" written in the palm of my hand as Hookshot suggested :)

Last edited by arlene on 21 Jul 2007, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2007, 11:51 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe MC2
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 3 39deg
BH: Victas Ventus Extra
when a player is much better than me i play much better as well.. as if the challenge gives me the energy to go on.

my problem is with "weaker" player (and by that i mean players with unorthodox tyles who "play safe" (and have lower ratings) my mind has trouble staying focused... but there's a goldmine of good advice in here! much thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2007, 14:02 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

That one point at a time is a rule I have lived by for a long time. But I always keep a log of players that I have played over the years. I will write down how they play, what works against them and what doesn't. This way when I go to the tourney I will ready to play them. As far as players I haven't played, you usually tell within the first few points how they play. !ust adjust and you will be fine.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

Post subject: The Mental Game
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2007, 16:11 

When I first started going to tournaments, I found myself playing a passive, defensive game because I was scared of losing. This was not the kind of game I practiced so I did not play it very well.

Even if I won, I did not feel very good about it. I finally realized that I would rather lose playing the game I practiced than win by playing scared.

So, play your game. Give an honest effort. Try your best. Give no apology for your level of play. Try to learn something from every match. Keep thinking and practicing and you will improve your skills.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 16:26 
Super User

Thanks John,

A very wise advise. Yep, I will play my game and improve on it. Tonight is the last night of pennant competition, my team is in 3rd place right now, so we would most likely make it to the semi-finals.

Tonight the match would be against a short pimple quick hitter, a penhold chopper and an all out inverted attacker. I love this game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 16:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Wow... that's going to be a fun night... need a different strategy against all of them :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2007, 09:14 
Super User

Yep, that's why I like playing in Ballarat. Such a variety of players, and a challenge facing each of them.

I won against the short pimples again. And took one game out of the chopper and the hitter, but could not win the set. The team lost 5-6. Anyway, we dropped down to 4th place. So we are still in the Semi-Finals!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2007, 09:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

How did the mental side of your game hold up... any improvement there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2007, 10:42 
Super User

I play quite well in pennants. I find that I play better in team format as compared to when I play on my own (as in the Veterans Tournaments).

I was playing my game. Against the chopper, I'm pretty sure I'll beat her soon enough, I just have to work on the timing and angle of the racket when I'm smashing her chops.

With the short pimple, I did not give him a chance to attack first. He is very quick with his hits. I served flat and fast, then attack his return.

With the inverted hitter, he is a better player than me (for now).

I'll continue working on my game, I know I need to improve on consistency, stroke timing and better serve and return. A lot of times, I find myself not thinking of my returns and then the opponent would just be in the right position to attack and then I lose the point :(