OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2009, 16:33 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

speedplay wrote:
You are up against a true flat hitter, he uses SP on one side and inverted on the other, but he still uses both sides to hit flat with. Never leaves the table, uses angles to his advantage and almost never use any spin on his shots.

How do you set up your game against him?

I would make him push, then loop spinny on the return. Would probably want to avoid relatively spinless ball returns, it's way too easy a ball for them to hit.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2009, 16:57 

I like to flat hit when given the opportunity, ie when the ball is sitting at just the right height (not high, not low), usually when the return is relatively poor and without much spin.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2009, 18:36 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Now I'm a flat hitter (only forehand) and use max sponge on my forehand and I will try and hit anything on 2/3rds of the table
I think a very good looping game is effective against my style. As I would rather have a ball sitting there to hit than one thats comming at me fast

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2009, 22:03 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I would try to run around as much as possible to use my forehand to loop into this person. I would try to keep use of the pips to a minimum. Serve spinny and short so they can't attack; when I get the push back, look to attack. But it has to be a well placed attack with pace; a slow loop will get punished.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 07:10 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Playing as a chopper with long pimples I hated playing this style, my reaction time to chop was very limited as the ball was coming at me too fast. I played Mars63 when I was in melbourne earlier this year and got creamed by him.

I switched to short pimples on the fh and played a good table block game and quick hits on the fh. I found I had a much more easier and enjoyable time, not trying to spin the ball at all, made returning them quite easy. The sink effect from the short pimple did help.

At present I play with double inverted, chinese rubber both sides.

I guess I would have to stand further away from the table. If I stand in to close they can hit past me or a fast one into the body, locking me up. So topspins from mid to long distance work. Getting into a pushing contest is quite hard as flat hitters tend not to open up, so there first attack is fast.
Consistency plays a huge part, flat hitters take a bigger margin for error when smashing, so remember to at least return the ball will draw out the errors. Spin variations, looping with sometimes heavy to no spin and changing pace of the ball does work. They tend to "borrow" your energy to hit a winner or block for a winner.

Flat hitting is mainly done by the older guys, when the era of loop was just beginning. Normally their equipment would be a super fast carbon blade like butterfly sardius or a fat 1 ply with a fast tensor.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 15:13 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

metal monkey wrote:
Playing as a chopper with long pimples I hated playing this style, my reaction time to chop was very limited as the ball was coming at me too fast.

Hello MM, I was just thinking, since the flat hit prefers not too much spin on the incoming ball for good control on the flat hit, and tends to have relatively weak spin on the outgoing flat-hit ball, were you able to generate good backspin against the flat hit attack using the long pips, or did you have twiddle to produce good backspin?

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 18:09 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Yuzuki wrote:
metal monkey wrote:
Playing as a chopper with long pimples I hated playing this style, my reaction time to chop was very limited as the ball was coming at me too fast.

Hello MM, I was just thinking, since the flat hit prefers not too much spin on the incoming ball for good control on the flat hit, and tends to have relatively weak spin on the outgoing flat-hit ball, were you able to generate good backspin against the flat hit attack using the long pips, or did you have twiddle to produce good backspin?

I was not able to generate much of a heavy backspin ball off the pimples, I don't normally twiddle in game.
Exception of the return of serve. I do struggle playing against these type of players, especially meeting up with them during comp.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 01:37 

This style for ME, is the easiest to play. In my opinion, the way to play them is to loop deep with heavy spin (since they like to stand close to the table, putting it deep will make them move and get them out of their comfort zone, and if they don't move, good luck to them trying to hit a deep loop). Also you can push long (not short), they will most likely push/chop it back and you can loop kill it.

Now this strategy obvioulsy works if you are a consistent looper. If you play another style other than looping (eg. you can't loop), then I don't know your strategy. I guess, just play deep and don't give them too many short balls (a truly flathitter is good at flicking balls, especially with SP... so too many short balls are a no no)

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 13:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I play sort of like this, although I tend to loop more than a true flat hit on my forehand.

Players who give me trouble have very strong aggressive forehands and good timing and can loop well right off the bounce; this is much worse if it can happen from both sides. My SP backhand may give good loopers trouble for a little while until they get used to it, but quickly enough they stop rushing and wait for me to hit a backhand down the middle or to their forehand that does not have enough speed and they loop it very hard, usually right at my body or hard into the forehand corner. You can use the relative lack of spin on the SP side to bait me into feeding your power shot, which will happen if I am not getting enough pace. If you have a very good return of serve I am in even deeper trouble since you can then take away a major part of my game.

I am strong against players habitually who loop from too far off the table (unless they are unusually powerful), and if you don't loop strongly enough to my backhand, I am able to cause all sorts of havoc by blocking back with many different speeds and angles and you are giving me too much table to use. If you serve too long to my BH side I can also cause trouble with short pip flicks that are tricky to time and that take funny bounces on your side. If you tend to rush your strokes you will have trouble with the different paces of balls that came at you, so you need to really concentrate on not mis-timing. If you have trouble with big variations in spin (between inverted vs short pips, or failing to recognize how much spin SP can generate) you will setup my forehand a lot.

I also do pretty well against LP players unless of course they are simply way beyond my level. However, people who can attack consistently with their LP and who do it a lot give me trouble.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009, 00:53 
Super User

I have experience against these suckers since the old of the people in my club are FLAT HITTERS. They are so irritating that I wish they would just be blockers! :x They finish the point fast and they smash my loop which is very irritating as the human reaction time is limited and I'm not Waldner to face a million Lui's who play close to the table.

My basic strategy is abuse their Close to the Table -ness and finish the point faster than they could. It's mostly a battle of who gets to attack and end the point first. So go Chen Qi on them and show what the LOOP can give more than the SMASH could.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2009, 05:47 
Super User

I'm a true flat hitter/blocker ( with inverted on both sides though). deep Heavy spin loops are a good idea that's right, but a shorter heavy topspin also works well, the heavy topspin kicks way too much if you don't move in. Just pushing and loop killing maybe is a good strategy if your ryu seung min, but not if you're a mortal, atleast if you play against me, first of all I push with heavy backspin, second I have no problem handling loop kills, heavy spin loops are a lot more difficult because it would make a hitter impatient. If you do have a good chance for a loop kill, play to it to his crossover point. Also 3rd ball attacks to the sides of the table work well, the hitter won't get a rhytm My strategy as a flat hitter would be, a challenge and see who's faster. If I am not fast enough or over shooting, I will try to slow down a little and attack his middle/crossover point when I get a good chance. I don't like when I'm faster than someone and he uses that strategy against me. Oh yeah flat hitters don't like people who are very consistent and just keep everything on the table, whether it's a looper, defender, allrounder that doesn't matte

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2009, 06:05 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

As I said I'm a true flat hitter (forehand only) and the one shot that I can embarrass me the most is the sidespin loop or hookshot . As I would normally stand flat footed and just lay into it ,I sometimes can miss the ball altogether lol.
Just don't do it all the time as flat hitters will adjust

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 00:16 

if he has bad footwork hit to the side with pips but make sure he isn't in position

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 09:41 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
as a modern defender (shudders at the term)....skilled flat hitter (especially those with short pips on the forehand) are nightmares to play....all that has ever been effective for me is try to send a REAL hard spinny thrid ball attack, and if they can also block well....hang on for the ride....

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 12:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
One thing to try is a heavy spin lob game. Especially deep to their backhand.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!