OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 16:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 20:30 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
speedplay wrote:
If I knew how to do the drop shot, with good consistency, I would do this a lot

That's a good tactic, but if the ball is coming down almost vertical and right on the end of the table, it's also a very very difficult shot to play and your timing and bat angle has to be spot on.

Patience is one way to play them. Pick the right ball to hit. Vary your own shots in terms of pace and spin so they don't have any consistency. As their returns are deep, take a step back from the table as the ball is going to be bouncing up and on to if you stand too close and you're more likely to make a mistake. Much easier to move in to smash a ball with your movement coming forward than reach back for it. Watch their wrist and hand movement very carefully when they lob the ball back. Little flicks of the wrist can indicate they've actually lobbed the ball with a lot of spin - a bit like using the wrist to when serving. If you don't notice this the ball could kick far more than you expect and it can make you look rather foolish when you misjudge your shot.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 23:39 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I know that "feeling foolish" state of mind. I think I get too close to the table, then get eaten up by the spin of that type of player, all too often. I need to keep moving!

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 00:57 

I usually take the ball on the rise and push it to the backline hard at them. Seems to work well for me anyways.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 01:07 
Two Winged Warrior

I wouldn't call Samsonov a lobber, but Smirnov had some good tactics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFxeboJSel8

Take the ball early, or use the angles. Give him different looks every time you play.
And, indeed, the might dropshot :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 06:31 
Super User

I'd vary my smashes as much as possible. My aim is always to make the lobber move as much as I can disabling him from playing a contolled lob.

Occasionall I try to do these spin smashes.Theey usually are OK, but I'm only able to get them over the net if I'm standing really good.
Drop shots are fun as well, if you manage to get them bounce twice it's a real pleasure (doesnt't happen that often though).
On lower lobs I try to do a heavy, short topspin to make the ball "fall" down behind the table, basically the same as against a modern defender.

2 years ago, a friend of mine who has already stopped playing had a fancy idea playing against a lobber (they weren't playing sooo high):
Since he was a very bad hitter/smasher he thought, after losing the first game, about possibilities not to allow him to lob. Quote: "If I lob, YOU CAN'T lob!!!"
So after the first lob of his opponent he lobbed the lob forcing his opponent not to lob (sorry for many lobs). He finally won the match in 5 games.
Still laughing about this story.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!