OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 06:34 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Since it seems to be a somewhat new crop of players using the frictionless antis -- who are the top guys to watch? So far I've got Luka M. and AA!

I've been watching a good number of pushblocker's videos (LP blocking only), and was curious if such a style could be done with anti-spin rubbers? Or does his style require LP to work? It's magical watching him frustrate the looper-fiends!

What I like to do is anti-spin on the forehand for blocks/attacks against any back spin and inverted on the backhand for heavy spin loops. Originally I had been maybe 80% backhand oriented, but after slapping on a sheet of transformer some months back, I can't give up the sensation! So now I usually block with anti until they return a weak ball, and then banana flick it for a kill shot. I had done a lot of chop training on the forehand, but in an actual game I never back off the table! Just don't have the mentality for it, I suppose.

At any rate, I'm looking to climb the ladder of points, and seeing which strategy is a good one to follow. Any ideas lads/lasses?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 09:51 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Watch a Russian guy, called the criss cross blocker. He does great 4H blocking using anti. He has videos to watch. He gives fits to trained loopers.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 14:32 
Super User

Russian guy 4h blocker aggressive using anti spin

https://youtu.be/Z5Nd0yzNoaA

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 17:50 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Russian guy is fun to watch but no way near the best anti players. We have Simon Huth of Germany (has beaten Ruwen Filus a few years back), Sushmit from India viewtopic.php?f=35&t=30714, Luka Babic from Montenegro viewtopic.php?f=35&t=30589, Amelie Solja (easily the highest ranked) and a few more. Look in the thread Frictionless anti players:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=18060

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2017, 02:57 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:
Russian guy is fun to watch but no way near the best anti players. We have Simon Huth of Germany (has beaten Ruwen Filus a few years back), Sushmit from India viewtopic.php?f=35&t=30714, Luka Babic from Montenegro viewtopic.php?f=35&t=30589, Amelie Solja (easily the highest ranked) and a few more. Look in the thread Frictionless anti players:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=18060

Russian guy is only one using anti on his 4H aggressively, which is the type the thread starter is looking for.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2017, 05:39 
Super User

Would pushblocker's style of basically only passive blocking (no chop-block) have been "better" with a frictionless anti? I don't see how he benefits much from having the LP over anti for that style. Kind of like the chubby russian guy blocking with anti. Ann Alvarez is another i discovered earlier today.

I found the anti easier to block and handle than the LP's I've tried. I didn't know if that was the common trend or not, as people seem to say anti is harder to control.

It seems LP blockers are much more common, and most don't chop-block all that much.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2017, 16:35 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
Would pushblocker's style of basically only passive blocking (no chop-block) have been "better" with a frictionless anti? I don't see how he benefits much from having the LP over anti for that style. Kind of like the chubby russian guy blocking with anti. Ann Alvarez is another i discovered earlier today.

I found the anti easier to block and handle than the LP's I've tried. I didn't know if that was the common trend or not, as people seem to say anti is harder to control.

It seems LP blockers are much more common, and most don't chop-block all that much.

LP reverses the spin which fits Pushblocker's style. Anti is easier to control than LP but more predictable to your opponent.

My main weapon with LP is chop blocking close and away from the table. less reaction time needed to do the stroke without good footwork.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 10:21 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
The problem with anti for me is the aggressive push of the bounce with 90 degree racket angle.. That shot does not work with anti.. You have to do it with open racket angle.. I use my blocks just to set up my aggressive pushes.. Blocking works GREAT with a good frictionless anti but pushing aggressively is difficult.. Antis that block well are usually slow which hurts you when you try to be aggressive when pushing..

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 11:13 
Super User

Pushblocker wrote:
The problem with anti for me is the aggressive push of the bounce with 90 degree racket angle.. That shot does not work with anti.. You have to do it with open racket angle.. I use my blocks just to set up my aggressive pushes.. Blocking works GREAT with a good frictionless anti but pushing aggressively is difficult.. Antis that block well are usually slow which hurts you when you try to be aggressive when pushing..

Aggressive push meaning the 'punch' kind of shot against back spin? Like this kind of attack?

https://youtu.be/xZTQiipUMCY?t=3m3s

I had a similar issue with the antis, which is why I swapped to pips for the time being. Only, I found the anti blocks too slow for me. The reversal wasn't winning me many points, so I use a speedier pip to block back with some pace and less 'deception'. I could attack very well with the anti against back spin. Even better than with LP, because the frictionless surface converted more backspin into top spin. So even against pushes with low rotation, I could still hit them hard. I might consider trying the .6 mm thickness with the anti for a test.

Have you tried any of the newer hard anti spins? Ones with the stiff plastic kind of rubber? mega block or dr rhino for example. I can see what you're saying to be true for stuff like nittaku best anti or juic neo anti. Soft topsheets on soft, dead sponges.