OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: can it be so simple?
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 07:56 
Super User

I've been going crazy trying to find some hope somewhere w/o sb or insider. Probably a dozen friction pips, dtecs, cheater pips, Dr N anti, become a chopper, become a bh hitter, turn the bat around so the lp is on the fh, torture, R*** and kill sharara, quit forever and play badmitton where there is no dam spin etc,etc ad nauseum.

Finally pulled out my old too small, creased, lumpy with glue residue sheet of super anti. Glued it on the defII with about a half inch margin of bare wood all around the sides. More hope than I've had for two months in one 2 hour session. Great spin resistance about equal to NAS with much more control, some useful reversal against heavy spin serves and loops.

Blocks of loops tended to often be low and short into the net but even that is encouraging compared to constant high and long blocks because of 'grab' off friction pips and NAS just being a miserable uncontrollable b*st*rd hypersensitive to blade angle. Emergency chopping seemed nice as long as I remembered to swing hard enough.

Hitting against underspin was lousy today but I'm fairly confident that is only a matter of adjustment. I was using 979 yesterday against a chopper and grooved my bh hit with that.

Looks like playing against light spin hitters will be the biggest problem relative to insider or dtecs where I could get just enough underspin going to make them lift a bit. I think I'll just have to play the first bh block or punch very aggressively against them and try to get my fh in as early as possible.

Ordered a new SuperAnti red 1.9 as soon as I got home. Sure hope the hope sticks around for a while. :)

Post subject: Re: can it be so simple?
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 08:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Grrr lost another one :evil: :lol: Speedplay's gonna love ya for this :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 11:03 
The Artist
The Artist

haggisv wrote:
Grrr lost another one :evil: :lol: Speedplay's gonna love ya for this :mrgreen:

Bah, let Speedplay have his rare fun. :lol:
Besides, you should feel alright. You gained Kees not too long ago, didn't you? ;)

I'm happy for you, bcbcbc. Sounds like you have found something nice for you :)

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2009, 15:06 
Super User

Well the new 1.9 supeanti is a great initial disappointment. It's a completely different rubber than the old(10++years) thin stuff. The older sponge is soft and totally DEAD with NO rebound and the topsheet is stiffish. The newer thick sponge is soft and slow but definitely has some rebound. The surface of the topsheet is fairly slick but soft and the sponge seems to be ideal for maximum 'cupping' of the ball and adding maximum grip to the ungrippy surface.

The new SA reminds me much more of the NeoAnti that I used in the past than the older SA or Sriver Killer or the first anti I ever had(1975??) which was probably ealy Toni Hold with black foam for 'sponge'.

The modern 'anti'(not counting DrN) seems to be totally geared toward control and variation rather than the flat-out spin and speed killing nature of the old stuff.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2010, 01:40 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
ABS is a lot slower and more controllable than the Anti Special. That's the one to get if you want to use anti, especially against big loopers.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 11:50 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
ABS is a lot slower and more controllable than the Anti Special. That's the one to get if you want to use anti, especially against big loopers.

I can play MUCH better with the old thin bSA than nAS. Probably considerably better with the new thick bSA than nAS. It's hard to believe the abs would be that much different. The speed of the AS doesn't seem to be a huge factor, it's the completely different angle 'settings' from any other rubber that I havn't been able to adjust to.

I've got the Amy classic on order in spite of the subjective reports I've seen being pretty bad. The objective characteristics sound like what I want. Very slick with soft, medium-thin sponge.

Last edited by bcbcbc on 02 Jan 2010, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 12:10 
Super User

speedplay wrote:
Sorry to read about your disappointment with the new SA. I do believe it will harden up pretty quickly though as this is what happens to the anti rubbers I have used, even the Nittaku Best Anti that I love so much, but I love it when it is soft.

Then again, the SA I tried actually seemed to develop grip on the surface along with some discolouration when I had used it for some time, and this is probably not what you want from a anti rubber.

I'm not sure how you use the word 'hard'. To me AS is hard and slow and SA is soft and slow. I'd prefer that the Sa lost most of the little bit of bounce that it does have. I might even try to deaden it on purpose. It is difficult to imagine it getting what I would call harder.

Gaining grip will not be an issue for me. I have a maintenance program to keep my slick anti slick. If that is very technically illegal then ****-em I've had enough of this ****. I could be using treated pips like some players who are much better than me. Still might. If I have to adjust my anti to get the exact combination of characteristics that would be legal -IF- it came from the factory that way then my conscience can stand it.

obtw speedplay, thanks much for the sticky on anti's. I've read thru it several times.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 11:36 
Super User

speedplay wrote:
Glad to hear that the anti comparison tread is helpful to people out the wanting to have a go with anti rubbers.

The SA I used got harder in less then half a season, but not as hard as NAS. I haven't tried the ABS, so I don't know how it would compare, but for me, the problem with NAS was never the speed, or the reversal, it was the control as I felt it was incredibly sensible to the angle used, which made it unplayable for me. Sure, the effect was even greater then the effect from the SA, but I had no control what so ever. If this is true for the ABS as well, then I'm not even tempted to have a go with it.

I must admit, I'm a bit curious on how you maintain your anti rubbers slick... Not that I will treat my Best Anti, cause I like them best new and currently, the local shop sells them very cheap :D

I like to play a pretty active chop-block, not just hold the bat out. With the nAS I can't because the angle against topspin has to be so closed. With the bSA I can chop-block and I think I add enough chop with the stroke to make up for the slightly inferior innate reversal.

The first time I tried the new 1.9 SA I didnt like the feel athough I didnt actually play too bad. I fairly quickly switched to yet another try with the AS topsheet, this time on the mirage 2.0 sponge fro the remainder of that session and the complete next session. That was a major failure yet again.

today I played about 3 hrs entirely with the new SA. I played as well as I ever have with anything but frictionless/insider, about as well as my best efforts with dtecs. I think I got a 'reset' from nearly 2 weeks away from the tables over the holidays. My only match was an efficient crushing of a player a couple of levels below me in a table challenge match. That is not actually a bad test of a rubber, especially control with it, because nearly the only points I lose are the ones where I fail to make a shot I know I can make. I've been winning too many of these games at 6 or 8 or worse just because I miss too much. today it was like 3,6 and 4 and most of the lost points were because the guy did play his best points there.

If I can build on this I'll be an anti player. Need to get one of our stronger loopers for the next big test. You think SA 1.9 should actually be easier to return strong loops with than SA 1.5?

If I get happy with anti we may have a lot of mostly 2-way threads over the next couple of years :)

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 14:07 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
ABS is a great weapon against loopers, but SA is better against all around players. Maybe you need two setups like Dr. N.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics