OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 19:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
A friend (also a close friend of Dr N) was having a practice session with me with the ABS. He was using ABS 1.2mm (I think) on a FW+ blade. He showed me how to attack a medium pace topspin ball... it's basically a swiping action fromleft to right (I'm RH) with the blade fully open. Due to the almost frictionless surface, the blade andgle needs to be virtually as open as when you attack a backspin ball. The ball it not hit too hard, or it would sail over the end. It produces a very awkward ball that seems to kick sidewards a little.

Since he had a space (identical bat) I had quite a bit of practice with it too. It took me a while to adjust, as intuitively I did not open the bat angle enough for a topspin ball, but when i got the hang of it, it was quite effective.

I tried quite afew other things as well... spin reversal is good, better than any current legal LP. It's also quite slow.

The main part where is lacked somewhat was keeping the ball low against short balls, especially those with little spin. Also controlling slow and spinny loops was troublesome and the bat angle seemed quite critical.

Still it's quite a good rubber, mainly for the slow speed and high reversal...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2009, 09:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I forgot to mention... these attacks against topspin must be done at the top of the bounce... unlike backspin balls which can easily be attacked well after the ball starts dropping...

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2009, 20:24 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Perhaps not deception, but you can sure produce some very awkward balls, epscially if you can play aggressively with it.

To be honest this session was a bit of an eye opener to me... I reckon I could adjust to using this rubber, without any significant loss in my game... The same might be for other similar antispin rubbers you mentioned... perhaps I should try that new JUIC anti that keeps calling out to me :shock: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 07:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes I read the same about the JUIC anti, and I would prefer a slow one too... but the little voices keep asking me "what if the single comment about this rubber from someone you don't know is not right?" :mrgreen:

I can't remember where I saw the comment, can you?

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 07:57 

well, thought ABS was a rubber mainly developed for blocking? There are hardly any players in my region who play abs or DRN at all. None of them is attacking with it. To me attacking with abs is like playing Russian roulette.. But i remember a video of AA whre he played some kind of counter attacking balls. I also think AA who is a very skilled player went back to pimples for better attacking options. Whatever that combination of a surface without grip and a usually thin sponge make it really hard to attack with it.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 17:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Well Dr N certainly can attacks with it. I agree with you though, it's strength is definitely blocking, and if you want to attack, a bit of grip makes it lot easier IMO.