OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 05:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 11:04 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I took a close look at the various post-frictionless new generation antispins on the market. All have very smooth topsheets, the ABS seems like the smoothest by a slight margin. My ratings:

Dr. Neubauer Gorilla
Longer medium-diameter pips, medium thick topsheet, normal-looking sponge
Speed: 10
Control: 4
Disruption: 8
(Test blade: Many)

Dr. Neubauer Grizzly
Short medium-diameter pips, thick topsheet, foam sponge (Pistol)
Speed: 8
Control: 6
Disruption: 7

Dr. Neubauer Anti Special
Short large-diameter pips, thin top sheet, rigid pink dead sponge
Speed: 7
Control: 7
Disruption: 6

Dr. Neubauer ABS
Very short, very small-diameter pips, thick topsheet, slightly less rigid dead sponge
Speed: 5
Control: 8
Disruption: 5
(Test Blade: Dr. Neubauer Kung Fu [best], NSD, TTMaster, DrN Firewall+, Killer Punisher, Nittaku Accoustic, Grubba Carbon, Andro Fibercomp, Andro Carbon Light All+, Andro Rendler Hydra, Rendler Taipan)

Joola Amy
Longer, medium-diameter pips, thick topsheet, very thin .4 normal-looking sponge
Speed: 8
Control: 7.5
Disruption: 7
(Test blade: Joola Toni Hold White Spot [best], variety of others)

Der Material Spezialist Nightmare
Short, medium diameter pips, thick topsheet, 1.2 soft dampening sponge
Speed: 7
Control: 8
Disruption: 8
(Test Blade: TTMaster Evolutive Defense, Andro Fibercomp, RE-Impact Tachi, Tibhar Stratus Power Defense, Tibhar CO-S-3)

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 13:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Very useful comparison MNNB!

Can you define your measure of control and disruption?

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 14:49 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Control is the ability to put the ball on the table where you want it. The Gorilla is very difficult to play with as it is very fast with very little margin for error in the blade angle. ABS is slower and more forgiving on the blade angle, hence a much higher score on control.

Disruption is my take on the overall difficulty the anti causes the opponent. For example, Gorilla can make some deadly attacks on underspin and send back some wicked blocks that often lead to direct points. ABS is nowhere near as fast on underspin attacks and blocks are less dangerous, so the shots are less disruptive and opponents don't make as many errors. However, ABS is still disruptive enough to keep many opponents tentative, which leads to point winning attacks with the forehand or backhand after twiddling.

I know of very few players successfully using the Gorilla and Grizzly. Simon Huth recently made headlines with the Anti Special, but he's an attacker extraordinaire. Amelie Solja uses the AMY, but needs an ancient, out of production blade to tame it. ABS seems to be the rubber of choice for most of us handhold block aficionados who go the anti route.

There may be a reemergence of the Grizzly in its new ABS form as it offers better offensive possibilities than regular ABS while still being controlled.

I've also heard that Dr. Neubauer is coming out with a new combination blade in two months. It was specially developed for anti-spin and pips out rubbers and enables very short and disruptive blocking on the slow side. At the same time the blade is fast enough for powerful attacking shots on the other side.

So lots of exciting developments.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 23:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I found the ABS to be quite a bit slower than the amy anti, when I tried it; though I only had a brief hit with the amy and it was on a different blade. It's amazing how much difference a blade can make to rubbers performance.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 01:01 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

antipip wrote:
I found the ABS to be quite a bit slower than the amy anti, when I tried it; though I only had a brief hit with the amy and it was on a different blade. It's amazing how much difference a blade can make to rubbers performance.

You're right. I compared the ABS on a Kung Fu to an Amy on a White Spot, so on their appropriate blades the Amy is a tick faster. On the same blade I'm sure Amy is a lot faster. I'll need to note that.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 06:02 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Here's a visual comparison of the pips attributes and top sheet thicknesses on the various low-friction new generation antis:

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 06:36 

mynamenotbob great! Fabulus fotos.

Great Job dude... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Blade: Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: Andro Rasant 1,9 mm
BH: Globe 979 0,9 mm

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 07:25 
Super User

Nice review. I am actually on the look out for an anti that can block as well as return serves easily. MNNB have you tried the Nittaku Best anti? What do you think of it?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 08:08 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

bvautier wrote:
Nice review. I am actually on the look out for an anti that can block as well as return serves easily. MNNB have you tried the Nittaku Best anti? What do you think of it?

Speedplay is the OOAK Nittaku Best Anti guru, but yes I tried the Nittaku in both 2.0 and 1.3 a few years ago. It's a terrific anti that does everything. I liked the 1.3 a little better.

I don't think any anti returns serves better than ABS, however.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 09:10 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
bvautier wrote:

Speedplay is the OOAK Nittaku Best Anti guru, but yes I tried the Nittaku in both 2.0 and 1.3 a few years ago. It's a terrific anti that does everything. I liked the 1.3 a little better.

I don't think any anti returns serves better than ABS, however.

I have been tempted with the Grizzly with ABS sponge. I am changing my game to stay a lot closer to the table and I think Anti might be the solution. LPs aren't good enough to consistently block hard spinny loops. I am looking for something that is spin insensitive.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 09:37 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

bvautier wrote:
I have been tempted with the Grizzly with ABS sponge. I am changing my game to stay a lot closer to the table and I think Anti might be the solution. LPs aren't good enough to consistently block hard spinny loops. I am looking for something that is spin insensitive.

The ABS excels at blocking loops, that's for sure.

I have the Grizzly ABS in hand ready to test, but am waiting for another Kung Fu to come in. Getting increasingly leery of sticking it on the Gladiator as these antis don't come off so easy.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 22:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Super anti certainly blocks very well and is much easier to use than abs, in this regard. The abs seems to have more potential to be disruptive on blocks. Both are easy to return serves with. I believe the abs has a longer learning curve and I'd go for super anti to start with. I've never used best anti.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 05:37 
Super User

Speedplay,

Thanks for the advice I will get a sheet of super anti and give it a try.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 07:41 

Thanks to MNNB for this great review !! :up:
Joola Amy is the only one I never tried. You write Amy .4 is slower than NAS at equal disruption level. Think I'll have to test it right after our final league match in April. Until now GOrilla is my first choice. In the first year after the ban I lost sooo many matches ( played Grizzly, various LPs and ended with NAS). This year it's vice versa. Started with NAS then changed to Gorilla + twiddling. 20:8 +/- so far, unbelievable Yeah! :devil:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 08:10 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Mr Black wrote:
Thanks to MNNB for this great review !! :up:
Joola Amy is the only one I never tried. You write Amy .4 is slower than NAS at equal disruption level. Think I'll have to test it right after our final league match in April. Until now GOrilla is my first choice. In the first year after the ban I lost sooo many matches ( played Grizzly, various LPs and ended with NAS). This year it's vice versa. Started with NAS then changed to Gorilla + twiddling. 20:8 +/- so far, unbelievable Yeah! :devil:

Congratulations on taming the Gorilla!

It seems to me that these new generation antis work offer best control on less rigid blades. The Kung Fu is the softest blade Dr. Neubauer offers (even less than the Barricade).

The .4 Amy is terrific on the White Spot. You can really work the ball with all kinds of crazy spins. I like the Amy on the THWS better than the ABS on the Kung Fu, however the forehand on the Kung Fu is a lot better. The Amy probably wouldn't work so well on a harder, faster blade. Haven't tried the .7, maybe that would work better.

| My OOAK Interview