OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: How mad am I?
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 20:12 
The Twiddler

Ok, on a loony scale of 1-10, how mad do you think this is....

I've been informed that Inferno will probably get banned in the UK from next season. Therefore I'm moving early and allowing myself the entire summer to try something else out new.

However, this "early move" has come before the end of my season (we're safe, so no pressure on the games) and the leagues annual tournament this weekend.

So, am I mad for sticking Dr Neubauer's ABS rubber onto my bat and going into the tournament having never used it before?!? :lol: I think I probably am, but what the heck :D

I've made the decision to use this rubber and not go back to one of the frictioned long pip replacements for a number of reasons.

1. I DO use the spin reversal in my game plan. A lot of the points I win come through reversing the spin, getting the ball to "pop up" and then I kill that ball with my loop.

2. I have begun to defend a lot more now and use the spin reversal and wobble to put my opponents off. Making them miss their shots and forcing errors.

3. You could almost say that my defending is a form of attack in that I bait players to loop / spin the ball at me so that I can get a good block in and cause them a whole heap of problems in having to deal with the return ball that is fizzing with spin!

Anyway, I might be able to get some practice in before the weekend, but I'll have to see if I can get booked in anywhere. Failing that, it'll be going into the tournament having never used it before.

Brave or stupid? Who knows, but I bet it's fun! :rofl:

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

Post subject: Re: How mad am I?
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 20:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It all depends what you place importance on. Practice for next year or the tournament. If it's practice for next yeat then it's a logical decision.

A word of caution, I've used it (red 1.2) and it takes a little getting used to the angles you ned to block with.

I hope the etta don't go down the ittf rule 3 route. If they do players with premades will be affected, players with old rubbers will be affected. Most probably wouldn't even realise. Then ther's the liklehood of the ITTF 'unauthorising' old blades as I'm sure they wouldn't manage to do this in a way that didn't hurt us payers sorry players again.

If they do ban them, I'll have the latest list and claim all matches against people with unauthorised equipment; that should upset a few people but that seems to be what those in charge want to do and the league can deal witht he fall out.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 21:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ChrisBuer wrote:
Ok, on a loony scale of 1-10, how mad do you think this is....

I've been informed that Inferno will probably get banned in the UK from next season. Therefore I'm moving early and allowing myself the entire summer to try something else out new.

However, this "early move" has come before the end of my season (we're safe, so no pressure on the games) and the leagues annual tournament this weekend.

So, am I mad for sticking Dr Neubauer's ABS rubber onto my bat and going into the tournament having never used it before?!? :lol: I think I probably am, but what the heck :D

I've made the decision to use this rubber and not go back to one of the frictioned long pip replacements for a number of reasons.

1. I DO use the spin reversal in my game plan. A lot of the points I win come through reversing the spin, getting the ball to "pop up" and then I kill that ball with my loop.

2. I have begun to defend a lot more now and use the spin reversal and wobble to put my opponents off. Making them miss their shots and forcing errors.

3. You could almost say that my defending is a form of attack in that I bait players to loop / spin the ball at me so that I can get a good block in and cause them a whole heap of problems in having to deal with the return ball that is fizzing with spin!

Anyway, I might be able to get some practice in before the weekend, but I'll have to see if I can get booked in anywhere. Failing that, it'll be going into the tournament having never used it before.

Brave or stupid? Who knows, but I bet it's fun! :rofl:

Chris,
Suggestion: Contact ybanti (from this forum), he is an anti-loop user from the I of M and he has been tutored by the best in its use. You might find his suggestions of some help.
humbly yours,
tOD

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 21:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
It's a brave move... but better to try something and stick to it, than to keep experimenting and never settle on anything.... I really should listen to my own advice sometimes :headbang: :headbang: :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 22:22 
The Twiddler

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

To answer some of the questions and points raised.

1. There is no importance placed on this tournament and I actually see it as a great opportunity to practice with this rubber against a whole variety of different players. It will also be interesting to see how I get on against some of them as I've recently played them with Inferno.

2. As I have chosen the style I wish to play, I will pick a rubber and stick with it throughout the summer. From the reviews it appears that ABS is the best alternative to continue playing "my style", so I'm really going to work hard with it and try to get my game up to speed with it over the summer.

3. Regarding the ITTF / ETTA ruling issue, I completely agree that the impact is far wider reaching than frictionless long pimples. I'm not saying that the ETTA should not follow the list, but they need to appreciate the impact that it will have. I too will be armed with the latest ITTF Approved List and will take it to matches when I play. If a player is using equipment that is not on the list, then I will ask them to change their bat or forfeit the game.

You're completely right that this will cause arguments, friction, anger, you name it. I've no doubt about that. But rules are rules and if we're asked to follow them, then that's exactly what I shall do.

I'm not being flippant, but if FLP users are told their rubbers are banned because they are not "ITTF approved", then it is unfair to ask us to play against other players who are using equipment that is also "not approved".

Having said all of this, it seems a little over the top for local leagues, but hey, what can you do.....

-----

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 22:56 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

antipip wrote:
It all depends what you place importance on. Practice for next year or the tournament. If it's practice for next yeat then it's a logical decision.

A word of caution, I've used it (red 1.2) and it takes a little getting used to the angles you ned to block with.

I hope the etta don't go down the ittf rule 3 route. If they do players with premades will be affected, players with old rubbers will be affected. Most probably wouldn't even realise. Then ther's the liklehood of the ITTF 'unauthorising' old blades as I'm sure they wouldn't manage to do this in a way that didn't hurt us payers sorry players again.

If they do ban them, I'll have the latest list and claim all matches against people with unauthorised equipment; that should upset a few people but that seems to be what those in charge want to do and the league can deal witht he fall out.

I don't know where this rumour is coming from, any links anywhere?, but it is going to absolutely decimate lower league TT, way to go ITTF/ETTA, how to turn away 1000's of players in 1 easy sweep!

Then the remainder can have paper fights ( maybe even a bit of argy-bargy!) before a ball is even hit! :@

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 23:04 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Just try it and have some fun ( the good thing about anti is that people seldom inspect your bat lol) remember to attack thier pushes (at times) and go have a good time

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 01:14 
The Twiddler

mozzy wrote:
antipip wrote:

I don't know where this rumour is coming from, any links anywhere?, but it is going to absolutely decimate lower league TT, way to go ITTF/ETTA, how to turn away 1000's of players in 1 easy sweep!

Then the remainder can have paper fights ( maybe even a bit of argy-bargy!) before a ball is even hit! :@

Mozzy, I've posted a thread in the pimple section of the forum but I can confirm the ETTA are considering this.

The email I received back from the ETTA today stated the following:

Yes, there will be a proposition at the AGM in June to make the use of authorised racket coverings mandatory for all competitive table tennis in England. To pass, it will need a 75% vote in favour; if it is accepted, it will take effect next season. Like you, I have views on the wisdom of the proposal and I expect that others will share your concerns; if there are enough of them, the proposition may not attract the necessary majority.

To be honest, I think it's fair to assume that it will go through purely on the basis on how much FLP are hated. What I am actually concerned about is the wider impact and how players with pre-made bats or just those who use older rubbers that are no longer approved will cope.

I really think it's going to cause a lot of problems and I'm worried that it'll turn a lot of players away. Approved rubbers on the whole, are not cheap, so pre-made bats are a great way to get into the game to see if you like it.

I've already posted this, but we have a guy who is into his 80's who still loves playing and uses a bat that is probably older than me! He plays socially, for fitness and to meet people. I would feel sick having to tell him that he couldn't use his old bat because it wasn't ITTF approved. How stupid is that?!?! |(

-----

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 06:22 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Welcome to my world in the USA. We have been dealing with the fictionless ban for a year and a half. So, been there, done that. All I can say to you is... good luck.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 09:29 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Quote:
I've already posted this, but we have a guy who is into his 80's who still loves playing and uses a bat that is probably older than me! He plays socially, for fitness and to meet people. I would feel sick having to tell him that he couldn't use his old bat because it wasn't ITTF approved. How stupid is that?!?!

dont worry any rubber regulations have nothing to do with social players

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 09:45 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
ChrisBuer wrote:
I've already posted this, but we have a guy who is into his 80's who still loves playing and uses a bat that is probably older than me! He plays socially, for fitness and to meet people. I would feel sick having to tell him that he couldn't use his old bat because it wasn't ITTF approved. How stupid is that?!?! |(

Chris, I think the point is that whatever the rules say there is no reason you need to raise a stupid rule like this when you are the opponent. You could simply play and say nothing. My viewpoint is that I would only consider calling "cheats". These people (with old/premade bats) are not cheats. If I thought my opponent had, eg, used a silicon spray to reduce friction I might do something. Strangely enough, if they did so in front of me I'd be less bothered.

185g

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 10:08 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Not crazy at all. Go for it and stick it to 'em.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 16:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
take a spare blade with the inferno on it in case things don`t go well

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 17:41 
The Twiddler

Speedplay - Yes I have used anti rubbers before :) I've used Gorilla, Grizzly, Anti Special and Juic Neo Anti. I agree with you that I'll need at least a season but I might as well start now becuase there is nothing on the tournament and I'm simply playing for fun :)

Keith - Yea I absolutely agree with your comment. Of course I wouldn't tell this old chap he couldn't use his bat. The point I was making though is technically I should say something. The reality of the situation is that players using pimples that fall into the frictionless camp will be singled out and all other "normal" rubbers that are not approved will be given thr blind eye. Hardly fair is it? I don't mind following the rules, but they should be fairly and equally applied to all.

Dazzler - I do have a spare blade made up with Inferno that I could take but I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go for it. If I have the spare bat with me I'll be tempted to use it and I actually need the practice with the new setup.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

-----

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 22:22 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
ChrisBuer wrote:
Keith - Yea I absolutely agree with your comment. Of course I wouldn't tell this old chap he couldn't use his bat. The point I was making though is technically I should say something. The reality of the situation is that players using pimples that fall into the frictionless camp will be singled out and all other "normal" rubbers that are not approved will be given thr blind eye. Hardly fair is it? I don't mind following the rules, but they should be fairly and equally applied to all.

Chris, not sure I agree here! See, the thing is frictionless pips have been banned because they have specific properties that the ITTF, rightly or wrongly, have decided should be banned. The unapproved, 'normal' rubbers really don't have any properties that are different to normal inverted, do they?

185g