OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: New Anti Setup Help
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2010, 12:53 

I’ve read all through this forum and am having a hard time trying to figure out what I should be using. I’d like to change my whole setup and I’m hoping I can get some advice about which Anti would best fit my game or if I should use an Anti at all?

I didn’t play for about 12 years. I used to play with a 15 year old Stiga premade inverted on both sides that did not create or react to spin as much as any other inverted I’ve seen. However, this blade is just too heavy (like 200 grams) and I need something lighter. Overall I really liked these rubbers but I’d like something that reacts less to spin as about ½ of my opponents give me trouble with their serves and pushes. I still want to be able to create a little topspin though for BH counters and hit angle winners.

Is it possible to attack backspin with an Anti? And I’m also wondering with an Anti, if a ball is chest high, can I slice drive the ball like I used to be able to with the old rec paddles (super hard pips) I used as a teenager?

I recently switched to a donic Waldner Senso V2 blade with Yasaka Mark V 1.5/ Neab. Diamant 1.5, but when I play defense everything is springing off the paddle on both sides and sails 2-3 feet over the table on what were previously easy returns with my Stiga premade. Serve returns are great with Diamant, but that’s about all it’s been good for. My looping is great with the Mark V and 85g blade, but in matches I just don’t use that shot much, and when I try to loop closer to the table everything goes long anyway, probably because my blade/rubber combo has to high of a throw angle for me.

I prefer to start off playing as close to the table as possible and hit angles and move my opponent around until I get an opening and can angle off a flat offensive shot past them with my BH, or just wait for them to make a mistake, or FH drive against pop ups. I play mostly with my backhand and I get many winners from my inside out backhand (chicken wing style I’ve read it’s called). I think an Anti would be good for these type of shots also?

If my opponent goes on the offensive, I step back and hit BH blocks or change of direction medium speed counters. My style of blocking is more active blocking, pushing forward slightly and also putting gentle topspin on the shot. Only against the hardest loopers would blocks go long. My FH defense is a slice/chop or occasional counter loop. With a lighter blade counter looping is easier.

When I read these reviews of each rubber I think, oh that’s the one I need, then I read another and think the same thing so I’m not sure.

I’m thinking of getting one of the following (in order of what I think will work best):

Yasaka Anti Power
Juic NeoAnti
Donic Anti 40
Nittaku Best Anti
BTY Super Anti

What color and sponge thickness would be better for me? I'm really confused about this and until I came to this forum I didn't know there was a difference. I’ve never played thicker than 1.5.

Do you think I should keep the Mark V rubber for my FH and just go with a Def blade like Stiga Tube Def, Donic Defplay Senso, Butterfly A. Grubba, or Tibhar Def+ to add more control and lower throw angle? Any other blades recommended?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: New Anti Setup Help
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2010, 16:25 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
You'll probably get different opinions on this, but here is mine:

Antispin is best on a hard blade. Carbon blades are good.

Yasaka AntiPower is probably closest to low-spin normal rubber, although it's kind of heavy. Juic NeoAnti is similar and lighter. Black is better for creating spin.

Yes you can attack backspin. The smoother the anti the easier this is. Red Butterfly SuperAnti would be the best on your list for this.

Sponge thickness is a personal preference. Some antis have deadening sponges where thicker sponges are slower and thinner sponges are faster. Others have normal sponges and thicker is faster. You'll have to experiment to see what you like.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject: Re: New Anti Setup Help
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 16:02 

Thanks for the replies. I'm also considering a LP for this. I will probably end up trying both Anti and LP. For the Anti's I think I'll try the NeoAnti first and then see if I want more or less spin from there. If I want more I'll try the RITC 804.