OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 01:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
I haven't got around to trying the Guard Special yet. I used the Guard in 0.4mm red on Mephesto blade.

Thanks, do you think the thicker sponge will provide a greater degree of slowness? (.8 vis.4)
tOD

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 09:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes i think it will, certainly for the Guard Special as this defintely has a damping sponge... the regular Guard probably does too, but it's so thin it's hard to feel.
However with a thicker sponge I'd expect it to grip more and have less reversal.... this is why I would prefer the thinnest sponge. I think using a slower blade would be a better way to reduce the speed further.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 19:56 
Super User

From my personal experience, I found that antispin rubber with a thin sponge is better than antispin rubber with a thick sponge. Antspin rubbers such as 804, Super Anti and Anti Power are available only with thick sponge. So,GD Antispin rubbers may be better as they are available with a thin sponge.

Antispin rubbers are very effective if you can force an opponent to set up a ball for you to attack.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 20:30 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
For super slick antispin rubbers, thin sponges lead to speed/control problems. Manufacturers tried to create frictionless replacement antis using the idea of ox LPs, which turned out to be a disaster. Almost everyone who tried them went back to long pips. However, with a 1.2mm dampening sponge you still get better spin-reversal than with any currently legal LP (on a hand-hold block), plus good control and slow speeds in comparison to the flawed first few generations of frictionless replacement antis. Picture Butterfly Super Anti-like feel, speed and control with great spin reversal.

Attacking antis like 804, Anti Power, etc, are a completely different category, more like low grip inverted rubbers.

EDIT: I originally didn't specify spin-reversal coming from a hand-hold block.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2010, 10:24 

haggisv wrote:
Yes i think it will, certainly for the Guard Special as this defintely has a damping sponge... the regular Guard probably does too, but it's so thin it's hard to feel.
However with a thicker sponge I'd expect it to grip more and have less reversal.... this is why I would prefer the thinnest sponge. I think using a slower blade would be a better way to reduce the speed further.

It´s possible to compare this Anti with Juic Neo Anti?

Bh :Juic Neo Anti 2.0 , black
Blade : Andro

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2010, 11:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

They are quite different. The JUIC has a soft topsheet and soft sponge, which allows you to get some spin when you dig it into the sponge. The Giant Dragon has a 'rock hard' topsheet, so you can't really dig it into the sponge, but the topsheet does have some grip... enough to attack with it.
The JUIC is easier to use IMO, but not as dangerous. This JUIC will bottom out against hard loops (less with thicker sponge), whereas the GD will take more impact before this happens. This can be a good or bad thing, but it's a difference...

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 15:16 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Note: Some posts from this topic were moved to the experimental section since they concerned a version of this anti that is not yet approved by the ITTF for international play.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2010, 01:33 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
I'm going to try the Guard Anti in 1.2mm but I can't decide which blade to put it on. It's either Donic Defplay or Waldner Dicon. I would really prefer it if I could play it on the Waldner blade since that is much better for my FH but I need to be able to block (frictionless style) really hard and spinny drives with the anti and I'm afraid it might be too fast on this blade. However, seeing how Gester is blocking everything with an even faster anti on an even faster blade, it should work with the 1.2mm on the Dicon, right? I'm also going to try the 0.8mm version and I might put that on the Defplay, but I don't know, what do you guys think?

Oh, BTW, for reference, the only anti I've played with before is the Best Anti in 2.0mm and I could put that on any blade, even OFF++ blades, and still be able to block he hardest attacks on the table. So if the 1.2mm is even close to as slow as the Best Anti, it should be fine with the Dicon.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 05:16 
Super User

fyi all,

I found a minor QC problem with my 0.4

There is an inconsistency in the sponge and since the total sponge is so thin it leaves a bump in the topsheet you can see if you hold it up to the light and feel if you run your finger across carefully. I doubt if it effects play but a hyper technical opponent might be correct in saying its not uniform.

PostPosted: 17 May 2011, 16:09 

Found this interesting.. not sure what if anything it means. The top one is Guard 0.4, bottom is Guard Special 0.6. Both have plastic covers still on and haven't been manhandled/used in any way I know of.

PostPosted: 17 May 2011, 16:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That's strange... I don't remember mine having much of a dome. :o

It's probably due to the sponge being warn or hot when glued together, and went back to normal size when it cooled down. The Special sponge is more of a foam, which seems much more rigid so it does not happen.

It mean that the sponge will probably under some tension when it's glue together, as the topsheet is very rigid. Since it's so thin, it might not have much of an impact, but it might make it a little more lively.

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 17:27 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

What are the main differences between the 2 sponges??? ie which one is more similar to the Hallmark Mirage sponge?
(which I dont like ;( )

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 17:31 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

metal monkey wrote:
What are the main differences between the 2 sponges??? ie which one is more similar to the Hallmark Mirage sponge?
(which I dont like ;( )

Neither is like the Hallmark sponge. They are both a pretty hard normal kind of sponge. The Special is supposed to be more dampening. I've only used the regular Guard with a .4 sponge, so I'm not sure how thicker ones are.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 17:43 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

So are they perhaps similar to the super anti, neo anti or even the yasaka anti power?

I am really doing great with my super anti setup, but I dont like my blade to well. As I think I wanna try something faster like the GD Kris Special. Super anti is great even after ****** but its cut small and I dont wanna order from iruiru. Perhaps the GD anti's are the way to go.

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 17:55 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

metal monkey wrote:
So are they perhaps similar to the super anti, neo anti or even the yasaka anti power?

I am really doing great with my super anti setup, but I dont like my blade to well. As I think I wanna try something faster like the GD Kris Special. Super anti is great even after ****** but its cut small and I dont wanna order from iruiru. Perhaps the GD anti's are the way to go.

The Giant Dragon antis are great after they are aged a bit for my kind of strokes.

| My OOAK Interview

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!