OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 19:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've had a few more sessions with this bat with the anti... the control in-close is outstanding, and the ball produce very awkward. You can put some spin on the ball with this, and it react very slightly to incoming spin, producing either a dead ball, slight reversal or return the same spin depending on how you hit it. Blockiong control is amazing, I just needed to adjust a little. As long as I'm not forced away from the table, I feel I play better with the setup than i do with my regular one. I'll make it my 2nd setup.

Will I change from pips to Anti... not sure about that yet, but it's worth trying ;)

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 20:18 

haggisv wrote:
I've had a few more sessions with this bat with the anti... the control in-close is outstanding, and the ball produce very awkward. You can put some spin on the ball with this, and it react very slightly to incoming spin, producing either a dead ball, slight reversal or return the same spin depending on how you hit it. Blockiong control is amazing, I just needed to adjust a little. As long as I'm not forced away from the table, I feel I play better with the setup than i do with my regular one. I'll make it my 2nd setup.

Will I change from pips to Anti... not sure about that yet, but it's worth trying ;)

Thanks for testing.

Did you try it on a stiffer blade like the Re-impact backspin pressure/ Kungfu etc? Did you also try Antiguard special? I think with some sunlight, the reversal might even be better.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 20:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

No I have not yet tried it on another blade, but have adjusted well to using it on the mephisto. I have not yet tried the Special either.... I really should as it may just give me a little more offensive potential.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 23:33 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I think it has potential to be a great anti rubber...
guys experimenting ;) might find that it would be a cheaper alternative to ABS, or other good expensive anti.

The speed is good, the thickness and sponge absorbing is good, but reversal on the topsheet is too grippy.

I think it will play better with it being worn in.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 06:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I don't know if it will play better when worn in... I feel the slight grip actually has some benefits, and on harder loops the thin sponge makes the rubber very insensitive to spin anyway, although less grip would add to spin reversal. The bit of grip makes it much easier to attack balls as well. I really like it as it is actually. I even won some point on serves, where my opponent did not expect any spin :lol: You have to brsuh hard to get the spin, but it works 8)

I did have some trouble chopping with ti though... I need some practice against a good looper to see if I can adjust. However the high control I get in the short game meant I was forced back a lot less, so did not have to chop that often.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 07:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
I did have some trouble chopping with ti though... I need some practice against a good looper to see if I can adjust. However the high control I get in the short game meant I was forced back a lot less, so did not have to chop that often.

What problems? I find anti easier to chop more consistently with than lp's although I get a lot more chop and variation with the lp's. The toni hold original anti I tend to use is quite slow (sounds like this is slow too) and I find my anti to be slower than lp's so you may need more 'carry' or forward in your stroke if this is the issue or just a longer stroke.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 08:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I think I just need some practice and a little adjustment, I'm sure you can chop with this rubber...

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 09:03 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
If its anything like 804 I think I would hate it! :devil: That was one beast of a rubber I simply could not control. But then most people say its not a true Anti.

But it doesn't sound like its really like 804 if its very slow. Is it that the thicker sponge the slower it is?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 09:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The much thinner sponge makes it play a lot different than the 804, and the sponge is much slower and less lively than the hrs sponge of the 804 as well. I didn't like the 804 either, it felt like there was nothing it could do well...

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 21:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
Yes the topsheet is MUCH harder than 804, I just dug up an old 804 sheet and compred.

The Mephisto is not that stiff, so you're right it may play even better on a stiff blade.

I had another short session with it, not too long since our competition is still going (but will end shortly) and i think I could really play with this rubber. Against slower and spinny loops I just need to close the bat a little, and it comes back low and very slow and controlled.

Have you had the chance to take another serious go with this rubber?
tOD

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 22:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I did, what would you like to know?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 00:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
I did, what would you like to know?

I would like to know all the details, the nitty gritty, as it were.

What are the particular properties of each type, physical and playing, strengths and weaknesses, how each compares with any particular LPs?

Which strokes worked best against which incoming shots....

How slow or fast they are compared other anit-loop rubber or to long pips?

Which sponge would be best for attacking, blocking (passive and active), chopping.

Did you have a chance to use them against the robot? If so, what was your take away from that.

What bat angles are required to play particular shots? How easy is it to go from using regular inverted strokes to the strokes required for the anti?

Any details would be appreciated and which colours would be the most effective in a given situation.
Thanks,
tOD

Any videos??

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 12:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Well at least you're not asking for much :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pushing: A bit like inverted as it keeps low and goes where you aim. Push too hard against backspin and it will go over the end, probably coz the topsheet is so hard. Pushes a little backspin but are slow and easy to place.

Chopping: Away from the table I could chop quite well against loops. it did not feel like there was a ton of reversal, but you basically get more backspin by brushing harder, but not the added backspin you get from some LPs.

Blocking: This is where it shines. Although it feel (and sounds) like you're play with a piece of cardboard, the control is excellent. It is very slow (probably similar to the slower LPs on todays' market) and quite insensitive to spin. Ball come off quite low with a little reversal. It is easier to place the ball then it is with any LPs.

Attacking: Well I could not attack backspin like I can with LPs.. there is just not enough reversal at low impact. However you can actually lift the ball to attack very much like a slow inverted rubber. This works very well against low backspin, no-spin or topspin, all producing just a little topspin. I did find the angle a little sensitive, probably coz the hard topsheet again.

The thicker sponge will probably make it slower and easier to attack, but reduce the ease of blocking and spin reversal.

I only tried red and would expect black to be a little gripper perhaps.

Hope that answers at least some of your questions ;)

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 21:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
Well at least you're not asking for much :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pushing: A bit like inverted as it keeps low and goes where you aim. Push too hard against backspin and it will go over the end, probably coz the topsheet is so hard. Pushes a little backspin but are slow and easy to place.

Chopping: Away from the table I could chop quite well against loops. it did not feel like there was a ton of reversal, but you basically get more backspin by brushing harder, but not the added backspin you get from some LPs.

Blocking: This is where it shines. Although it feel (and sounds) like you're play with a piece of cardboard, the control is excellent. It is very slow (probably similar to the slower LPs on todays' market) and quite insensitive to spin. Ball come off quite low with a little reversal. It is easier to place the ball then it is with any LPs.

Attacking: Well I could not attack backspin like I can with LPs.. there is just not enough reversal at low impact. However you can actually lift the ball to attack very much like a slow inverted rubber. This works very well against low backspin, no-spin or topspin, all producing just a little topspin. I did find the angle a little sensitive, probably coz the hard topsheet again.

The thicker sponge will probably make it slower and easier to attack, but reduce the ease of blocking and spin reversal.

I only tried red and would expect black to be a little gripper perhaps.

Hope that answers at least some of your questions ;)

Thanks very much. I think I will buy a sampling and see how it works out for me. Was there a significant difference between the Guard and Guard Special? Which sponge thickness did you use?

tOD

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 22:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I haven't got around to trying the Guard Special yet. I used the Guard in 0.4mm red on Mephesto blade.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next