OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 04 May 2024, 17:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: anti and why
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 01:55 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

so, if you want to use anti, there are a couple things you have to consider first. one, the rubber you want to use, two, the lade you want to put it on and three, whether or not you will be actually able te play with it.

nittaku best anti is a great starter anti. just ask speedplay, cuz hes got the most out of it so far.

if your swiching from double inverted, antis are slow and dead so itll take some adjustmen time.

most anti isnt designed to give LP revarsal, just to kill spin

most antis are lightweight.

so if you start using anti, if you feel really limited thats okay, because going to anti from anything is a big transition.

just keep on using anti untill you feel comfortsble.

this is a strategicaltype of rubber. somewhat slower than LPs, and much slower than inverted.

the throw angle is really really low. push, chop, hit, counter sideswipe and smashes are about the only strokes you can play.

start out with a 1.5 thickness rubber sheet or something close.

there are some anti out there so f you catch the EJ virus have no fear, cuz there arernt too many expensive anti out there.(expensive antis are the dr neubauer stuff)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: anti and why
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 02:16 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
ilikepie wrote:
so, if you want to use anti, there are a couple things you have to consider first. one, the rubber you want to use, two, the lade you want to put it on and three, whether or not you will be actually able te play with it.

Not forgetting why you want to use and what game strategy you will employ eg close or far from the table, chop or block etc etc

nittaku best anti is a great starter anti. just ask speedplay, cuz hes got the most out of it so far.

Again depends on what you want to achieve with your anti

if your swiching from double inverted, antis are slow and dead so itll take some adjustmen time.

most anti isnt designed to give LP revarsal, just to kill spin

anti doesn't always kill spin, it can actually increase the amount of spin returned and it certainly is capable of "spin reversal" dependent on how you use it eg blocking off the bounce - I've posted on this forum high speed footage of just how much and the types of spin a bat clamped vertically in a vice can create and that's before you even consider the ability and technique of the person using that anti spin. I've played people who use anti and who chop with it and who are very good at altering the amount of spin returned. And sometimes the ball has come back loaded with backspin of their anti spin rubbers. In my opinion it's wrong to assume anti simply kills spin.

most antis are lightweight.

so if you start using anti, if you feel really limited thats okay, because going to anti from anything is a big transition.

just keep on using anti untill you feel comfortsble.

this is a strategicaltype of rubber. somewhat slower than LPs, and much slower than inverted.

Not always is it slower - I've found it to be more consistant in the speed of the ball it returns, but dependand on the incoming spin can have an effect on how fast the ball is retuned by interacting with the rubber and sponge.

the throw angle is really really low. push, chop, hit, counter sideswipe and smashes are about the only strokes you can play.

This is wrong for me. Again, depends on the spin coming in, angle of the bat etc - the throw can infact be quite high, if lacking in pace sometimes which can give the impression of a low throw ie there isn't enough pace to get the ball high in to the air but if you watch the angle the ball comes off the bat it can be as high as lots of other types of rubbers

start out with a 1.5 thickness rubber sheet or something close.

Depends what you want to do with the anti spin and the blade you use.

there are some anti out there so f you catch the EJ virus have no fear, cuz there arernt too many expensive anti out there.(expensive antis are the dr neubauer stuff)

Interesting post ilikepie but my experience has been somewhat different - comments in red. I'm sure some forum members who have used anti for a while will be better placed than both of us to make comments about what players should and shouldn't consider when using anti spin.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 04:48 
Super User

what are the advantage points of anti in comparison to LP (why anti instead of LP)?

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 06:28 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
In general...

You can attack better with anti
Antis sounds like regular inverted (deception when twiddling)
Antis have no minimum friction requirement
No broken pips

Bear in mind that there are two kinds of antis.

Attack antis like Yasaka Anti Power have high control but enough grip to play a variety of strokes.

Slick antis like the Dr. Neubauer line are designed for spin reversal

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 10:49 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

any of this is from my experience with my nittaku best anti, red 2.0

@ friendship yes bob has very much nailed it.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 20:00 
Super User

Hello there,

This is my first post in the anti-section !

I'm usally playing with a backside (Donic F3 BS / Nittaku Hammond) on my BH.
Despite my backhand drive isn't bad I wanted to try a anti for it's blocking capacity and small deception.

I'm a very "clean" player, too much are saying my team mates, a nice sparing partner at the end for long drill.
But the style and technique doesn't make the score and I'm loosing often very closed cause I' forgot to do the "no spin' serve or the dead ball or a non youtube compliant trick !!! :rofl:

To have a fun bat, I've tried the Juic Neo Anti 1.5 and I wasn't able to pass the ball over the net.
This is very very slow. So, the Juic doesn't suit for this purpose and my technic isn't adequate for this rubber...and I've no pleasure to play with !

I'm quite active during the gameplay and I don't want to change my backhand technique cause despite I'm not using much during offical matches, my topspin backhand isn't bad. (I should dare to use it more !).

So what kind of anti can I try without compromise my "in progress" topspin backhand ?
Another wise advice should be to keep up my current setup, but as I wrote before this is for a fun bat...

Brahms

Last edited by Brahms on 24 Jan 2011, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 20:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Something like Yasaka Anti Power may be worth a try to hit with, there's a player over here who uses it to hit with on his Fh and likes it because it's the fastest anti and he want sto play a hitting game with it.

I doubt you'll find an anti that doesn't compromise your inverted bh stroke in some way, you'll need a more open bat angle for a start, and it will certainly hurt your ability to produce topspin.

The Neo anti you've tried is one of the more similar to inverted type antis and is relatively easy to hit with (if your used to anti), so in a thicker/quicker sponge would've been my 2nd recommendation behind the Yasaka. After that I'd probably look at something like the Tibhar ellen which with it's soft sponge is relatively easy to counter with.

You might well be better of staying with inverted, if you're wanting to continue to develop your backhand. I'd always go for inverted unless pips/anti fits your game style better although twiddling may be an option if you really want to go down this route.

Post subject: Re: Anti and why
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 03:27 
Super User

Thanks Antipip and Speedplay,

I recognize your experience and wise awareness to tell me to keep on my current setup and I thanks you for that.
I didn't mention in my post I began my ejness with short pips, long pips... and I stop used them caused I was too much tempted by doing a classic topspin movement which isn't suitable to gain the best from this kind of rubbers.

Anyway thanks for the advice I will probably try to test the Yasaka and the Friendship if I can find some 2mm thickness on the "second hand" market. I bought the Juic cause like Antipip said this rubber was plug and play... but I couldn't extract any joy or "delirum tremens" with it...

Last question :
Someone wants to trade off my Neo Anti with a Juic Masterspin Special, do you think I should give a try ?

Take care and keep your spin passion up.

Brahms