OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 21:20 

I have been using Dr N. A-B-S in 1.2 mm for a year, and today I had an experiment with Dr N. Gorilla in 0.6mm. I read lot of views on this forum but perhaps I can add to them some new ones.
I used the Hallmark's Aurora blade and Gorilla was on my BH.

Disadvantage:
So, despite of thin sponge It is very fast, but the speed depends on the quality of coming ball.
If my training partner passed a long, fast and no spin ball I could send back it with high trajectory and without any reversal or disruptive effect hereby these balls were counter-attackable very easily if even they did not go far away. That is the most difficult situation to keep the angle of bat correctly to avoid high trajectory.
This is its biggest disadvantage and sometime this could be the main reason if somebody do not dare to use the Gorilla sheet.

Advantage:
In other case if I got a looping, the ball observably sit into the top sheet , and it went back much less speed than at no spin ball and a lot bigger reversal than as A-B-S. Of course the rate of reversal depends on rate of looping but I can say: to get back the ball after a medium looping, my partner could not be able to loop the ball again. It went to the net.
It was very strange and very interesting for me, because after ban I have never seen this huge amount of reversal. I can absolutely agree with who wrote on a previous post: after a big looping the ball went not to the net but even under the table.

Changing of sponge:
After this trial I removed the Gorilla top sheet from the 0.6mm sponge and put it on my A-B-S’s sponge hoped I can get more control.
Unfortunately It did not work at all. Gorilla top sheet lost his reversal and won the A-B-S’s controllability.
So after sponge changing the Gorilla has worked the same way than earlier the A-B-S: relatively low speed, not too big reversal, and good controllability.

I know the new Gorilla sheet has a new dampening sponge, but if it is the A-B-S’s sponge, I can not imagine that It might work much better.

So, If anybody will have patient to take time so much for learning the Gorilla in 0.6mm could be the most dangerous after ban of frictionless LP.

I made an other test with Andro Roxon 500 PRO max. I am going to take a short summery at inverted rubbers.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 21:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That is a great review, thanks pal! :clap:

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 05:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

pal wrote:
I have been using Dr N. A-B-S in 1.2 mm for a year, and today I had an experiment with Dr N. Gorilla in 0.6mm. I read lot of views on this forum but perhaps I can add to them some new ones.
I used the Hallmark's Aurora blade and Gorilla was on my BH.

Disadvantage:
So, despite of thin sponge It is very fast, but the speed depends on the quality of coming ball.
If my training partner passed a long, fast and no spin ball I could send back it with high trajectory and without any reversal or disruptive effect hereby these balls were counter-attackable very easily if even they did not go far away. That is the most difficult situation to keep the angle of bat correctly to avoid high trajectory.
This is its biggest disadvantage and sometime this could be the main reason if somebody do not dare to use the Gorilla sheet.

Advantage:
In other case if I got a looping, the ball observably sit into the top sheet , and it went back much less speed than at no spin ball and a lot bigger reversal than as A-B-S. Of course the rate of reversal depends on rate of looping but I can say: to get back the ball after a medium looping, my partner could not be able to loop the ball again. It went to the net.
It was very strange and very interesting for me, because after ban I have never seen this huge amount of reversal. I can absolutely agree with who wrote on a previous post: after a big looping the ball went not to the net but even under the table.

Changing of sponge:
After this trial I removed the Gorilla top sheet from the 0.6mm sponge and put it on my A-B-S’s sponge hoped I can get more control.
Unfortunately It did not work at all. Gorilla top sheet lost his reversal and won the A-B-S’s controllability.
So after sponge changing the Gorilla has worked the same way than earlier the A-B-S: relatively low speed, not too big reversal, and good controllability.

I know the new Gorilla sheet has a new dampening sponge, but if it is the A-B-S’s sponge, I can not imagine that It might work much better.

So, If anybody will have patient to take time so much for learning the Gorilla in 0.6mm could be the most dangerous after ban of frictionless LP.

I made an other test with Andro Roxon 500 PRO max. I am going to take a short summery at inverted rubbers.

Were you passively blocking the medium and heavily looped balls or were you using a chop block or similar technique to increase the spin reversal?
Thanks,
tOD

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 05:46 

Hi tOD,

I was passively blocking the medium and heavily looped balls. There was no time for chop block at heavily looping, but it is not neccessary to increase spin reversal because has a huge one without chop block also.
It is possible to adjust angle of blade easily at heavy loopings. "easiliy" means that easy for those players whose have big experiment with frictionless LP.

In other case my hand only knows the angle of bat at A-B-S sheet, therefore I sent the balls shortly to the net more times at medium looping.
Here was opportunity chop-block against medium looping to increase spin reversal and it worked well.

So, there was no problem with any looping I was able to treat most of them got excellent reversal.
but anybody who wants to treat the no spin balls with safety must practice a lot time with Gorilla in 0.6. Because good loopers has a process to finish the point very fast.

Standardized process:
to serve fast and long no spin ball to BH, and hit back the ball deadly the same place again and again and game is over.
I hope our potential opponents will not read this :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 10:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

pal wrote:
Hi tOD,

I was passively blocking the medium and heavily looped balls. There was no time for chop block at heavily looping, but it is not neccessary to increase spin reversal because has a huge one without chop block also.
It is possible to adjust angle of blade easily at heavy loopings. "easiliy" means that easy for those players whose have big experiment with frictionless LP.

In other case my hand only knows the angle of bat at A-B-S sheet, therefore I sent the balls shortly to the net more times at medium looping.
Here was opportunity chop-block against medium looping to increase spin reversal and it worked well.

So, there was no problem with any looping I was able to treat most of them got excellent reversal.
but anybody who wants to treat the no spin balls with safety must practice a lot time with Gorilla in 0.6. Because good loopers has a process to finish the point very fast.

Standardized process:
to serve fast and long no spin ball to BH, and hit back the ball deadly the same place again and again and game is over.
I hope our potential opponents will not read this :lol:

I am glad to hear it worked with a passive block. That is much easier, well when I have a relaxed grip it is easier.
Thanks for your response.
tOD..the Old Duffer

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 05:28 

I played against neubeaur gorrilla in a classification tournament this weekend - for reference, I play an offensive, spin oriented game, that anti's like gorilla are designed to frustrate. I won against the two players I played who used it, but I was impressed by the reversal and speed scrubbing it could do. I won both matches, but had to revert to push dead to the anti, looping, and resetting if that didn't get me the point. Anti players generally can do very little with dead or no spin balls.

and my chickening out setup..
Donic Waldner Allplay
Stiga Boost TC 2.0 forehand
Stiga Boost TC 1.8 backhand

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 07:27 

Boosttc wrote
Quote:
I played against neubeaur gorrilla in a classification tournament this weekend - for reference, I play an offensive, spin oriented game, that anti's like gorilla are designed to frustrate. I won against the two players I played who used it, but I was impressed by the reversal and speed scrubbing it could do. I won both matches, but had to revert to push dead to the anti, looping, and resetting if that didn't get me the point. Anti players generally can do very little with dead or no spin balls.

Yes, you are right, the most anti players struggle with no spin balls, and the good loopers will not really loop but more even hit against Gorilla to avoid spin reversal. Anti players can do more mistakes if they have to play against always no spin balls.

Even so, after test trial of some long pimples sheets I believe the Gorilla in 0.6mm could be the most dangerous weapon if anyone will be able to learn the counter-attacking against no spin balls with it. This will be the biggest challenge for Gorilla users.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 00:31 
Super User

I'm a spin oriented player and I hate high ball and no spin ball...
Special player with special setup loves me :headbang:

Brahms

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 00:53 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
You're absolutely right. I also love opponents that give me spin! Furthermore, I hate those who don't. :devil:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!