OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 16:35 

All my life, i have used inverted rubbers in my backhand and since i have time and again suffered in receiving serves, i decided to take the plunge and use combination rubbers. I tinkered as my backhand rubber SP, LP and finally an anti-spin rubber (under this order) and found the anti-spin rubber as the best since it allows me to attack and i could not be any happier. :rofl:

When i was using an inverted rubber, i can spin, loop and smash balls to an acceptable degree that they dont want me to use anti-rubber since it will inhibit me from doing these things.

I can still do spins and loops with anti-rubber with ease (though a lot slower and with less spin) but im having difficulty with my backhand smashes. :(

They either go down the net or more often, go out of bounce as i do my usual smash with the same stroke i do in inverted rubbers. :@

I really love Yasaka Anti Power (2.00mm) but im thinking of switching to another anti that has a little more of grip (not to grippy than YAP) that will allow me to brush more and have an easier time smashing. :?:

Im a forehand looper and in backhand, mostly does looping of backspin balls and smashes on the backhand when the ball goes high (i am even better smashing with my backhand than in my forehand)

Any recommendation? :^)

Thanks to those who will really, i will really appreciate it. Ever since i used anti two months ago, i am super addicted again to tabletennis (to be honest it feel like the first time i played 14 years ago when i was in highschool) :rock:

Last edited by bpc_dnd on 03 Feb 2011, 17:13, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 16:37 

btw, i specifically joined this forum (ooak) to study and improve anti-spin rubber use. :D

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 18:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I don't understand. You're talking about a backhand smash and then needing to brush the ball more. My interpretation of a smash is a flat hit, what stroke are you wanting to play.

For more brushing shots, Juic neo anti with it's soft sponge and relatively (for an anti) topsheet is more similar to inverted.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 18:25 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
A few that come to mind are Armstrong New Anti Spin, Friendship 804, Stiga Energy Absorber and Meteor 835.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 18:50 

Quote:
I don't understand. You're talking about a backhand smash and then needing to brush the ball more. My interpretation of a smash is a flat hit, what stroke are you wanting to play.

For more brushing shots, Juic neo anti with it's soft sponge and relatively (for an anti) topsheet is more similar to inverted.

sorry for the confusion. I mean i can do brushing and smashing (treating these things differently and not at the same time).

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 20:43 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I think its a matter of practice rather than changing straight away the YAp is great from attacking serves (Inverted stroke down the line)
If I was you just get a mate to hit higher balls to your backhand and practice (maybe a sliding ball will work) and not go too hard at first

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 23:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ok, I've heard good things of the Armstrong, Stiga may fit the bill too on descriptions and comments and conversatins with tohers (no experience of either).

A friend switched to the 804 and hated it, too fast and slick reduced the margin for error when hitting. I've used the meteor and it is horrid. A very grippy topsheet (i.e. not anti), but too slow to hit effectively with, it just sits up and they have time to adapt to a ball that is spinning farily normally.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 01:39 

Quote:
I think its a matter of practice rather than changing straight away the YAp is great from attacking serves (Inverted stroke down the line)
If I was you just get a mate to hit higher balls to your backhand and practice (maybe a sliding ball will work) and not go too hard at first

thanks sir, i may really need to start practicing this. i hope i can get used to it.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 08:45 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
I would really try the armstrong new attack anti. And play with it for a while. In the beginning it's a little bit sticky but it wears off.

I tried all three of them (804 (1,5 and 2 mm), neo anti (2 mm) and armstrong attack new anti (1,5 and 2 mm)) but i always came back to the armstrong. I was also able to play defensive with it.

But if you are a real hardhitter i would play with the 804. IMO it is faster but less deceptive so speed is the key. For a more allround game the armstrong. 804 is also harder (sponge wise)

I also played the neo anti. it has the less grip of these 3 rubbers. I found it really nice to play defensive with it. Lot's of control. A former teammate who is playing with Yap for years liked it because it has more grip than the YAP.

For an attack game you must keep the pressure (placement and speed) on your opponent. If you lose the grip a good opponent will smack you of the table!!

I played them all on a defensive frame. For me everything was ok as long as I was in control and able to smack them around

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2011, 14:40 

I am having difficulty in executing punch block with the yasaka anti power on my backhand as the ball keeps on going beyond the table.

When i was still using rubbers, i punch block with my wrist doing the movement. but now, when i do it, the ball goes too long. What is the proper way of doing punch blocks with a YAP? should my wrist be steady and make the shot entirely using an arm movement?

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011, 04:17 

bpc_dnd wrote:
I am having difficulty in executing punch block with the yasaka anti power on my backhand as the ball keeps on going beyond the table.

When i was still using rubbers, i punch block with my wrist doing the movement. but now, when i do it, the ball goes too long. What is the proper way of doing punch blocks with a YAP? should my wrist be steady and make the shot entirely using an arm movement?

Try Dr Neubauer Grizzly

Bh :Juic Neo Anti 2.0 , black
Blade : Andro

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 06:28 

A very good attacking Anti is the Ellen offensive from Tibhar.

Blade: Keyshot Light
BH: Ellen off. Anti
FH: Spinart

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 15:10 

Maybe I can help. I recently switched from Medium Pip to Anti. With Yasaka Anti Power I had the same problems you are having with hitting smashes into the net or long. I am also better at smashing with my BH than my FH. After a few unsuccessful sessions and watching some LP players on youtube, I found that for smashes you need to have a sideswiping motion. I also read that the blade needs to be moving in some direction besides just forward in order to gain control on the ball. If I get a pop up ball I kind of swipe sideways and swing forward at the same time. Practice and you can get it down. I went from hitting 20% of my smashes in to over 80% in just two practice sessions by making this change. I'm noticing that the sideswiping makes the shot hard to return which makes up for the lack of speed of the shot.

Regarding blocking, if I block the way I normally do it goes to the bottom of the net. What I do now is basically just a tap forward. It's a forward stroke only about 6-12 inches long. The plane of the stroke is straight forward (no brushing up). This causes the ball to float like an LP but with less effect. If you don't use it too much, it will be disturbing to your opponent.

Overall, the most effective stroke I use with YAP is the chop block. It takes a lot of the power out of the shot and the ball will not float on you since you are brushing down, plus you are giving lots of spin for you opponent to deal with.

I've found that against normal topspin you pretty much have two choices, chop it or float it.

GL