OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011, 02:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

auzcar wrote:
I can't really find a reason why a super-thin anti couldn't be as slow as a OX LP, IMO it's weird that they haven't come up with such a rubber yet since they can make the friction as low as possible.

The original toni hold anti rubber (1.5 Sponge maybe nto super thin) was much slower than all 0x pips I have ever tried. I'm talking pre ITTF toni hold made in Austia. I don't know why they changed the mix on the sponge, it's never been the same since it went to Joola; the pace has upped to considerably and it's still slower than the rest of the antis. This stuff doesn't reverse much, but I find it easier to both block and hit with compared Joola toni hold anti (it seems to spend more time on the bat). Debater has tried this rubber and I'm sure he can confirm it's pace (or lack of).

I've tried the new 0x toni hold and it's not as slow as the old stuff, may block similarly but is not as easy to hit with. Blocking wise control was excellent with it, but reversal limited. It's similar to the Joola anti in pace though, closer than the rest of the stuff. Super anti, would be next up (not having tried the 1.9 version).

The problem with smooth rubber is that it has a greater contact area than pips, so it's harder to get reversal with it with comparable friction levels.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011, 03:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

bcbcbc wrote:
I don't see much hope for the hard/thin sponge route. I've tried a couple of anti topsheets glued straight to the wood and results were awful. No control and no better reversal. Maybe the anti-40 topsheet is better designed to be used that way. I've seen a couple of reviews of it and none were very encouraging.

I think what we need is a topsheet so stiff and/or thick that soft sponge can be used without the ball digging into the sponge. Guard seems to be a step in the right direction but not far enough. Attaching the sponge and topsheet with a gluesheet or two also seems to be a step in the right direction. Not sure how legal that is or isn't. Making the topsheet hard enough while still being stretchy enough to count as 'rubber' could be very difficult.

I've heard that there is a minimum pip height of .5mm. I wonder if .5 mm pips on a 1.5mm base sheet would be legal.

Hallmark made an anti-loop with white sponge as I recall. the sheet of stuff reminded me of nothing so much as a square of that of super hard and very brittle asbestos floor tile from the 1950s/60s. When you hit with this anti the ball made a loud clicking sound.

tOD

B'fly made an OX pips out rubber in the early seventies (A063?) with a super thick base sheet. I loved that stuff.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011, 05:22 

Therer are two super anti's. One is the old semiller antii now called super anti special. It is rated as slower but I havnt found that to be total true. It does kill medium base loops very will with a lose grip or chop block, but I have found with you swing hard it allows the racket to come into play and hits much faster then the regular super anti. Special has a yellow spounge and regular is white. Only anti I have figurerd out how to hit against 2000 level loops with. Good luck

Tri-carbon HAMMER

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2011, 14:00 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
Got to hit with the Toni Hold NEW Anti 40 OX today and I have to say that it's the best anti that I have tested so far.. For blocking, it comes really close to frictionless long pips.. Blocks short with great reversal.. It's not Super-Block like but better than non aged friction pips. The best of all, the rubber is consistent. This means that doing the same stroke against similar spin produces a similar return unlike the Super Anti that I tested where the trajectory was very dependent on the speed of the opponents loop. The only thing that did NOT work like on frictionless pips was the aggressive push against underspin.. Using frictionless technique, the ball went right into the net.. However, interestingly, you can attack those balls with a fairly simple backhand attack.. I could attack even against spinless and topspin balls which I was not able to do with frictionless pips. I think that the NEW Anti 40 is a great starting point. I think that with slight adjustments to my technique, I should be able to play close to my current level with long pips However, I would need about 2 - 3 months of training to get better used to it.. I was still blocking too high compared to the DTecS. The good thing about the NEW Anti 40 is that it blocks very short on a passive block which I really like. My opponent was only able to re-loop my blocks of his first topsion occasionally.. Most of the time, it landed in the net. I did try the rubber on my Dr. Neubauer Kung Fu blade. I will also try it on the Firewall Plus but from what I've heared, the Kung Fu is the best blade for antis..

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2011, 15:10 

Pushblocker wrote:
Got to hit with the Toni Hold NEW Anti 40 OX today and I have to say that it's the best anti that I have tested so far.. For blocking, it comes really close to frictionless long pips.. Blocks short with great reversal.. It's not Super-Block like but better than non aged friction pips. The best of all, the rubber is consistent. This means that doing the same stroke against similar spin produces a similar return unlike the Super Anti that I tested where the trajectory was very dependent on the speed of the opponents loop. The only thing that did NOT work like on frictionless pips was the aggressive push against underspin.. Using frictionless technique, the ball went right into the net.. However, interestingly, you can attack those balls with a fairly simple backhand attack.. I could attack even against spinless and topspin balls which I was not able to do with frictionless pips. I think that the NEW Anti 40 is a great starting point. I think that with slight adjustments to my technique, I should be able to play close to my current level with long pips However, I would need about 2 - 3 months of training to get better used to it.. I was still blocking too high compared to the DTecS. The good thing about the NEW Anti 40 is that it blocks very short on a passive block which I really like. My opponent was only able to re-loop my blocks of his first topsion occasionally.. Most of the time, it landed in the net. I did try the rubber on my Dr. Neubauer Kung Fu blade. I will also try it on the Firewall Plus but from what I've heared, the Kung Fu is the best blade for antis..

You can try Andro Fibercomp which is what alot of antispin players used.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2011, 15:15 

Pushblocker wrote:

Whether the 'sponge' in 0x is legal or not?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011, 03:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The sponge is it legal or not is an intersting point, an unfortunate problem probably stemming from the marketing policy of 0x no doubt.

It'll come down to does the 0x sponge meets the defintion fo sponge (I would guess).

However, since ODD G was e-mailed with this question over 18 months ago and has given no answer other than we're looking into, it can most likely be taken it is good.

My reasoning is that during that period (which incorproates an enoromous of time of which the ITTF were aware of a potential issue and surely could have tested and resovled this issue in this period) the ITTF has so far done nothing and seems to have been quite happy for the rubber to continue been sold, and has not notified any potential buyers of any potential problem. Therofere I'd think they'd potentially open themselves up to lawsuits form anybody who purchased it in this period if they banned it at this late stage.

I'd be interested in a lawyers opinion on this.

Pushblocker do you really get good reversal with this rubber, my old playing partner didn't. His control was good, but his passive blocks didn't seem to make relooping that difficult (most missed long initially). Are your blocks that much better, or does moving sideways at impact help any? The pips underneath the sponge are noticeably long for inverted , I guess that helps.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011, 05:08 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

is solja still using her amy?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011, 05:45 
Super User

ilikepie wrote:
is solja still using her amy?

I heard on a post on this board that she went to grizzly/abs. She is obviously an ej, (I think I love her)

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2011, 01:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

In an e-mail reply to the question raised about the legality of playing with Toni Hold 0x, Odd indicated they were checking into this; not that sponge was nothing to do with them (after all reversed rubber is required to have sponge in the laws of the game).

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2011, 04:50 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

The ox anti that I have did have a approx. .2 mm sponge and is therefore legal..

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2011, 20:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Pushblocker:

What colour is the sponge on yours?

Could you upload a photo, I wonder if it's changed any from when I ordered mine over 2 years ago?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2011, 02:01 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

antipip wrote:
Pushblocker:

What colour is the sponge on yours?

Could you upload a photo, I wonder if it's changed any from when I ordered mine over 2 years ago?

I'm in the office right now and don't have the rubber with me.. but it looks something like foam wrap:

It's almost transparent...

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2011, 06:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yes the last ones I ordered look like that picture only way thinner.

The first sheet I ordered didn't come quite like that, but when I re-ordered 3 more, they all did. I still have 2 as new in the packaging, the other one probably isn't usable anymore.

Edit: Just put it on a slightly faster kevlar blade and the reversal seems better when spinning it one way then the moving the bat in the other direction. More interested in trying now that the glue shet issue ahs been sorted out (at least to my satisfaction).

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2011, 05:24 

Pushblocker wrote:

Hi Pushblocker,
It would be fine to see how the New anti 40 is working on your backhand against your opponents's loops. Just like You put some really good videos on Youtub regarding to your long pimples. They were very-very instructive.
Thank you
Pal

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!