OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: vs long pips?
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011, 05:53 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Slick wrote:
It's a pity, MNNB, that you deceased Anti testing. Your opinion and your tests were very appreciated due to their level of excellence. So, if the Joola Timeless should appear on the market before the end of the test period, unexpectedly, you won't give it a try?

I'm always interested in new LPs and antis on the market, so I'll probably try it. ;)

Obviously a relatively new guy here. Notbob stop testing nearly everything? Hah! :rofl:

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011, 10:09 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
Quote:
new guy here
sure, new but quite interested

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011, 11:23 
Super User

Slick wrote:
Quote:
new guy here
sure, new but quite interested

And I welcome you. I was just trying to be funny.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011, 14:23 

carbonman wrote:
If you don't mind me saying Tokieboi I think you would do better to learn to play with regular inverted rubber first and then, once your game becomes more defined, decide if anti is right for your game. A lot of people learning TT initially have trouble against spin and, rather than just learn to handle it, they try to cut corners by throwing a piece of anti on. This works ok in the short term but it usually has the long-term effect of greatly limiting how far a player can go (of course, there are a few exceptions but a good anti player has to be darned good because anti has severe limitations).

I already have 2 other blades with regular inverted rubber (chinese rubber though, bought at local store :oops: ). Been playing since 2003/2004 but never tried other rubber (Anti or pip or tensor). Want to learn to play with Anti or pip, and Yasaka Anti Power is my first Anti and so far the most expensive rubber I have. I don't have money to buy all Anti and tried them to know what suit me best, therefore I'm asking opinion from the experts here :).

@mynamenotbob
Thank you for the info. Really appreciate that :up:

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011, 19:59 
Super User

Tokieboi wrote:
carbonman wrote:
If you don't mind me saying Tokieboi I think you would do better to learn to play with regular inverted rubber first and then, once your game becomes more defined, decide if anti is right for your game. A lot of people learning TT initially have trouble against spin and, rather than just learn to handle it, they try to cut corners by throwing a piece of anti on. This works ok in the short term but it usually has the long-term effect of greatly limiting how far a player can go (of course, there are a few exceptions but a good anti player has to be darned good because anti has severe limitations).

I already have 2 other blades with regular inverted rubber (chinese rubber though, bought at local store :oops: ). Been playing since 2003/2004 but never tried other rubber (Anti or pip or tensor). Want to learn to play with Anti or pip, and Yasaka Anti Power is my first Anti and so far the most expensive rubber I have. I don't have money to buy all Anti and tried them to know what suit me best, therefore I'm asking opinion from the experts here :).

@mynamenotbob
Thank you for the info. Really appreciate that :up:

I think the fastest anti would be Friendship 804 on 2mm sponge. You could even get the 804 topsheet and put it on the fastest sponge you can find separately.

I don't mean to try to talk you out of doing whatever you want but I think a medium pip like Friendship 563 would be better than fast anti for most things you could do with fast anti.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 03:10 

@bcbcbc

Thank you. I'll try Friendship 563 then :)

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 07:24 
Super User

Tokieboi wrote:
@bcbcbc

Thank you. I'll try Friendship 563 then :)

Notice there is a whole medium pip forum if you want to think about other possibilities than 563.

You still never told us how you play with the Anti Power and what you were hoping to improve other than just 'faster' so it's hard to be sure if our advice is useful.

I am guessing that you play it similarly to inverted and block and hit only with less spin.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 16:57 

Quote:
It all depends on the anti.

With a broken in "attacking anti" like Yasaka Anti Power, you can punch through heavy spin and hit a knuckle ball with good accuracy and at a decent pace.

Hookshot is describing a classic traditional anti with little grip like Butterfly Super Anti.

yes, this is true. I am using an anti power in backhand and my game is rallying and hitting with it: loops, flat drives, punch blocks, chiquita flicks. The irony of it, i DONT chop with it because i am not a chopper and cant do away-from-the-table chopping. what i sometimes do is to chop-block to add versatility to my game but that only happens if the enemy is weaker than me because if i do this to a stronger enemy, i will get pummeled because i am not a good defender. if he is stronger or at my level, my usual game play is to attack balls.

anti power is good to attack with because i can do top spins balls, knuckle balls, flat drive balls, and fast balls with a slight backspin/no spin ball that makes the ball of opponents go to the net.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2011, 22:44 

bcbcbc wrote:

Notice there is a whole medium pip forum if you want to think about other possibilities than 563.

You still never told us how you play with the Anti Power and what you were hoping to improve other than just 'faster' so it's hard to be sure if our advice is useful.

I am guessing that you play it similarly to inverted and block and hit only with less spin.

Oops sorry. Yes, I play it similarly to regular inverted :P . My playstyle is more BH oriented, left handed and close to table - mid distance.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 09:02 

Hi everyone:

I just wanted to add that the biggest advantage in using anti is its versatility over lp (hope I havent repeated from above)

With friction anti (804 or old inverted) it plays like inverted but gives lower amount of spin.

For example, the chop gives less backspin, the top spin is less on a loop forehand etc.

But you get to use it like an inverted which is hard to do for a lp.

You can even twiddle - i like to use black for anti since most people have been conditioned to think of its normal characteristics and you fool them, well at least for a point or two.

One of the things that you really have to work on is to prepare for the backhand counter instead of a chop against a fast attack becauseof the higher throw. (sponge is a factor here, 804 has a soft hrs sponge which is often not mentioned)

Also, you can still vary the spin eg the chop can give no spin or more backspin while from an lp the chop gives reversal which often means a lot of backspin. Big plus especially if you vary setups between lp and anti!

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 00:40 

flaygrant wrote:
difference between anti and long pips?

how hard is it to play with anti?

im debating whether i should get long pips or anti spin

Anti is just a dead rubber nothing else-it pretty useless as you
really can only return serve-the rest is useless-you cannot
keep a ralley or even to chop or lob with a dead rubber with
control-at least with pips you can chop.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 02:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

bcbcbc wrote:
Quote:
I think the fastest anti would be Friendship 804 on 2mm sponge.
Friendship 804 is a half-anti, meaning it will neutralize spin more or less effectively, but not reverse it; it plays like a very much worn inverted rubber. A proper anti is always slower and slicker. 804 is useful for aggressive styles - either aggressive attack (you can return any ball with it at considerable speed) or aggressive defence (it chop-blocks and chops well enough to keep the ball in play). In contrast there are "fast" proper antispin rubbers suitable for attack like Yasaka antipower or Stiga Energy Absorber, or also Juic Neoanti.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 02:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Davey wrote
Quote:
I am not sure what kind of rubber they think of as being an anti in Ireland, but if you mean to refer to what is commonly accepted as antispin rubbers, your opinion is rather open to challenge based on fact... Chopping with antis can be as effective as chopping with classic defense LPs as CurlP1 or Feint Long III, and with a number of antis spin-variation in chopping is easier than with a lot of LPs. It is also quite easy to keep a rally going by chopping, countering and aggressive pushing, and so on. Perhaps you should take a look at the video-section and watch Amelie Solja using her anti. As for lobbing - would you seriously undertake that with a LP?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 05:16 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
Davey wrote:
flaygrant wrote:
difference between anti and long pips?

how hard is it to play with anti?

im debating whether i should get long pips or anti spin

Where do you know this nonsense from? Some 30 years ago I played in the national team of my country with anti. John Hilton was European champion, and currently there are a couple of successful anti players in German Oberligas, which compare to national leagues in a variety of other countries - what about Ireland ;-)
Maybe *you* cannot keep a rally - I certainly can! - If I will; there are better choices with anti for experienced players.