OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 May 2011, 13:34 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Red, 1.2 sponge, attached with Toni Hold Dämpfungsfolie, tested on a TTMaster Evolutive Defense blade, total weight: 148 grams. I've done approximately 10 hours of robot time and played matches against a variety of styles. I have initially tested The Nightmare Anti on the slowest possible setup.

Against topspin: Handles hard loops extremely well. The sponge just sucks away the pace of the ball and the rubber sends it back with heavy spin-reversal. Very nice.

Against chop: With the slow setup I have, attacking underspin is difficult. The slow attacks were easily returned. I basically got picked apart by controlled topspins by a chopper whom I previously beat with Talon. Instead of looking to do a D.Tecs explosion on underspin, I think I need to follow the Solja model and just grind them down.

Against long pips: The rubber excels at doing the fast no spin serve to the backhand that long pip players hate. I was comfortable locking onto my opponent's pips and grinding.

Against serves: One of the high points. Serve return is very easy with great control. You still have to read the spin, but the ball can be placed very well.

Blocking short: Outstanding. I was able to dump balls short with pinpoint control.

Frictionless strokes: Most seem to work with the possible exception of the lift. Sideswipes and the handhold block both work flawlessly.

Good points: Very good spin reversal and disruptive effects. Control is excellent. Takes hard hits well. Handles serves nicely.

Bad points: Due to the sponge, attacks against underspin are slow compared to attacks with ox long pips. A lot heavier than an ox rubber.

Overall opinion: After just a short amount of training and four matches, I can already say this is both the best slick anti and the best frictionless replacement rubber to date. I might try losing the Dämpfungsfolie and moving to a faster blade. I also may move to short pips again.

It may take some time to get the kinks worked out, but after one night of training matches I am encouraged that I can make some progress.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 24 May 2011, 13:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great review MMNB!

I does sound like it addresses some of the issue that people had with the Dr N anti rubbers.

PostPosted: 24 May 2011, 20:20 

Don't take this personally because i liked your review!
The review is interesting but as any review, we have to know the tester and opponent skills.
i explain myself: i only give a sh*t when the tester has confronted the material to the situations i will encounter.

Sometimes, i read people that say something is great, and has much spin reversal, or huge control. And when try, it hasn't any. It's just that the opponent is so lame that he can't fit the requirements to play against it.
When i know the player who test it, i can think of the situation and understand it better.

A video is the best review, and on the other topic, there were two very interesting. In one, we can see the player with his usual racket, so we can have an idea of his skills.

Example with your review and what i see in videos:
disruptive effect? i can't see it in any video. The only disruptive thing is that the ball slows and has spin reversal.
against long and rapid serves, it's very hard to manage.
blocking short is easy on slow balls, but rapid and heavy strikes are very hard to return "short" (i don't say just after the net).

I think as most of people that this is a very good rubber but i will quote bcbcbc
Quote:
The one really frustrating part is that every time I was taken out of my confort zone and had to play a reflex shot it failed because my reflexes are lp reflexes. Can't really blame the rubber but it might be a long frustrating time until those reflexes change.

Give it time and practice!

PostPosted: 24 May 2011, 21:45 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Mewmew wrote:
Don't take this personally because i liked your review!
The review is interesting but as any review, we have to know the tester and opponent skills.
i explain myself: i only give a sh*t when the tester has confronted the material to the situations i will encounter.

I'm simply telling what my impressions are after one training session for those who are interested. For those who aren't interested, feel free to totally disregard it. I could care less.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 24 May 2011, 22:23 

I know and i appreciate your review but as a review reader, i give you some advices for next ones.
As i was saying give a LP to an average player that tests it against a lower skilled player and he will have a very good feeling about it.

That's what happened to me when i tried Akkadi L1! Everyone was bragging about it, and when i tested it, i felt like i was coned!

PostPosted: 24 May 2011, 23:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The thread clearly says "Mini-review", so it's not meant to be a comprehensive review. Also MNNB has had experience with a huge number of LP rubbers and blades, and has no doubt developed a good skill to know how to test and evaluate a rubber, and in most cases that I remember his judgement on the rubber has been spot on, and similar to the views of other experieneced players. Of course that does not mean it's going to work for you, but that's the same for any review, so I'm not sure why you're picking on this.

Anyway, let get back on topic...

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 01:50 
Super User

What is very much on topic is learning curve. The only people I can see putting this on and immediately playing better would be the few who have committed to DrN, Amy or treated anti for a year or so. I have dallied with those things but never committed. I'm not usre if notBob has put in enough time with those to play effectively with Nightmare right away. This is clearly not a Talon for Pogo swap type of decision. Long pip blockers are not going to put Nightmare on and play better in a week. I don't think classic anti users would either.

I feel already that if I had to commit to an out of the package inarguably legal rubber I'd choose Nightmare and by the end of the summer be playing better than with friction pips. What makes the decision harder for me is that I'm not one of the people who accepts that those are the only options.

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 02:12 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

bcbcbc wrote:
What is very much on topic is learning curve. The only people I can see putting this on and immediately playing better would be the few who have committed to DrN, Amy or treated anti for a year or so. I have dallied with those things but never committed. I'm not usre if notBob has put in enough time with those to play effectively with Nightmare right away. This is clearly not a Talon for Pogo swap type of decision. Long pip blockers are not going to put Nightmare on and play better in a week. I don't think classic anti users would either.

I feel already that if I had to commit to an out of the package inarguably legal rubber I'd choose Nightmare and by the end of the summer be playing better than with friction pips. What makes the decision harder for me is that I'm not one of the people who accepts that those are the only options.

This is a very good post. There are very few people who have been successful with slick antis and it's definitely not a simple 1:1 changeover from FLP. This is the first of the slick antis that I feel has some possibilities, but as far as a viable game system for me there are a number of problems that need to be worked out. Overall I'd say I did worse that I usually do against the opponents I played (mainly because of slow, ineffective underspin attacks), but I did get some valuable input as to what works and what doesn't. It will take some time to figure it all out and I remain open to other options as well.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 05:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
It may take some time to get the kinks worked out, but after one night of training matches I am encouraged that I can make some progress.

Thanks for the review, I am interested in seeing how your development goes with this rubber. I opted for the 1.5, but it will be about a month till I will be able to get in any serious practice with it. Till then I will have go with the thrills of vicarious encounters.
tOD