OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 20:43 

Hi, i've been playing table tennis for years and decided to buy custom paddle. I like to play Attack, but i also like to defend.
I'll buy Tibhar Samsonov Techno Power Contact blade, Tibhar Nimbus Sound on FH, and my question is should i put Tibhar Super Defense 40 or Ellen Def on BH?

and also...i'd like you to tell me how thick both rubbers should i buy :)

Tibhar is only availible in my country.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 10:06 
More Block Than Bite

Hey Marko,

I ordered Super Def 40 in 1.3 sponge, haven't got it in yet so can't tell you how it plays. Generally thinner sponge is easier for defensive play IMO and a little slower and more controllable, but the thickest I have seen Tihbar SD40 is 1.6 which isn't that thick.

An anti will play different than super def 40 will. Less sensitive to spin, but won't create much spin either. I believe anti is good for spin reversal (continuation) but don't know if Ellen is. I wish I could give you more info on it but I haven't used anti's very much and never Ellen def.

If you are considering anti's maybe you should look into long pips. In your case (wanting Tibhar products) they make a very good (IMO one of the best) long pips called Grass D. Tecs. I play with long pips on my back hand in OX (no sponge) but it is available with sponge. Not trying to make your decision harder, just giving my 2 cents...

Donic Defplay Senso | Yasaka Mark V 2.0 | SL Dornenglanz OX

Donic Defplay Senso | Butterfly Sriver | Testing

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 18:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Is this your first custom bat marko?

What have you been playing with?

What do you mean by defend? Block or chop or lob or some combination of the above.

Here's soem general thoughts anyway:

If you attack and defend on both sides and don't twiddle go for the super defense, it'll give you more options.

If you're still relatively new to table tennis the superr def might be a good idea too (you said you played for a while but not what sort of level).

If you can twiddle or mainly defend on 1 side, then the anti can be an option. The Ellen allows for some hits as it has a soft sponge, but it'll be low spin (sometimes good as a difference and insensitive to spin) and therefore won't allow looping.

Basically if you want a combination bat or to play a combination style that is when you may take the anti option. Have alook at some videos of combo players and see how you want to play. If you're wanting to play all strokes on both sides or on the supe def/ellen side then go for the reversed rubber over the anti.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 21:38 

Yes, this is my first custom paddle...but i played with my friend's custom paddles(if you gonna tell me about speed), but i have never played with anti rubber. I would like to know what is difference between ellen and super defense 40, what i get and what i loose if i play with ellen/sd40 ? I would twiddle if i get more good with ellen than sd40...

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 22:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I was trying to get some more information so I'd be better able to tailor advice, and yes depending on your answer speed, spin and sensitivity to spin may have come into it.

Unfortunately you haven't provided too much more information, thus makng it more difficult to try to help you.

Ellen anti, compared to super defence will be a little slower, less reactive to spin and less capable of producing spin. It will be easy to control spin with, you will be able to chop (less able to vary the spin depending on incoming spin) against topspin and play a more passive style block with it. It will not be easy to loop with or counter drive with or lob with. Even though super defense is relatively slow it can still make these shots easier and spinnier than the anti.

When you do hit with the ellen the different pace and spin compared to your other rubber may give you some advantage due the absence of expected spin and different pace the ball will go across at so potentially affecting an opponents rhythmn.

Whether you can be better with anti and inverted or dual inverted will depend on the game style best suited for you. Some players would benefit from combination bats, others wouldn't. Have a look and see which style of play you feel more able to play or would just like to play and choose the rubber based upon that. Twiddling would help wiht combination bat play.

So you would gain in a reduced sensitivity to spin and a different surface which can disrupt rhytmn and lose in a reduced ability to vary and generate spin (including the ability to play more shots - though this can be a curse if you can manage with playing a few shots well) and having 2 sides that play more similarly. How you want to play and the shots you want to use will determine what may be best for yourself.

Edit: I suspect my advice would be go for the super def as it allows you to play all the shots and will allow your game style to develop and then consider switching if the attributes of Ellen could benefit your game.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 23:14 

I think i'm gonna buy super defense 40 soft...i like to return smashes with a lot of back spin and you say i couldn't do that with ellen, also i like to loop with backhand and it would be annoying if i had to twiddle every time...i would twiddle anyway, but much less.