OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 10:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 15:01 

theOldDuffer wrote:
haggisv wrote:
Although the GD Guard is very good in defense, I did not find it very forgiving when attacking. The topsheet is VERY hard, which tend to make the angle of the bat critical when you're trying to attack. I only tried it for a few sessions though, so there might be solutions to the problems I encountered...

I found it much easier to use, on offense, using the RPB than when playing shakehands.
tOD

Well, since I can get 804 very cheap, may be I will get one and try it out (instead of ordering GD Guard online)

Forehand: MXP
Backhand: Grass Dtecs, Tsp P3 Alpha
--------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 15:03 

I should give 804 and ABS with absorber sponge a try and see whether I can get used to playing with anti

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 15:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The 804 with a thin sponge does actually work quite well. The thin sponge makes it less affected by spin, and the relatively high grip on the topsheet (compared to other antispin rubbers) allowed him to add some spin to ball. I had a brief try with it too, and the control was really good. Of course this was for a shakehand backhand :(

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 05:35 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

CTT national pogo 1.0 or 1.2 would probably work fine. you can't get it in those thicknesses though, so you would have to attach the sponge yourself. the 729 orange sponge would work.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 10:36 

theOldDuffer wrote:
Any advice on the choice of Antispin rubber (and playing properties), strategy, etc are appreciated.

Ross Leidy and I have worked, periodically; on developing a pen hold blade design to help accommodate some of my physical issues while facilitating a two-sided game. I have tried a lot of different rubber sheets for the RPB, but one of my favorites has been and continues to be the Giant Dragon Special. The combination has proved to be very flexible and forgiving too. Possibilities for defense and offense are very open.

theOldDuffer,
In terms of strokes on the RPB with antispin rubber, what should I watch out for (timing, angle, amount of brush/contact, part of the ball to make contact) when I perform the below:
1). roll a under spin
2). block a topsin
3). roll or punch a no spin ball?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 10:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wlhk wrote:
theOldDuffer wrote:
Any advice on the choice of Antispin rubber (and playing properties), strategy, etc are appreciated.

Ross Leidy and I have worked, periodically; on developing a pen hold blade design to help accommodate some of my physical issues while facilitating a two-sided game. I have tried a lot of different rubber sheets for the RPB, but one of my favorites has been and continues to be the Giant Dragon Special. The combination has proved to be very flexible and forgiving too. Possibilities for defense and offense are very open.

theOldDuffer,
In terms of strokes on the RPB with antispin rubber, what should I watch out for (timing, angle, amount of brush/contact, part of the ball to make contact) when I perform the below:
1). roll a under spin
2). block a topsin
3). roll or punch a no spin ball?

Thanks.

As I mentioned I am using a custom RPB, so your situation may be different. Initially I used an inexpensive pen hold blade to see if I could actually make the RPB style work for me. I spent hours and hours just to keep the ball on the table that careening off to the right in a wild angle (I am RH). Once I did that I really didn't have any problems with any of the things you mentioned. I was amazed at how much better serve returns I had than when playing shake hands. When blocking Top Spin I most often used the FH side of the blade, a traditional pen hold block. I really didn't have a problem with any of the three. My problem was trying to train a seventy two year old, mostly shake hands oriented mind that I was playing pen hold. I played pen hold in the late sixties and a little into the early seventies. That was a J/K style, but I had mostly raw wood on the back of the blade with a small cork grip area and would occasionally throw in shots off the wood.

I liked the anti-loop and using it to attack and aggressively return serves was worth it to me.

I don't think I am the best to offer you suggestions. I am back now to playing shake hands till after the Teams and by then, Hopefully Ross and I will have more than a prototype of the modified pen hold blade.

tOD

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011, 11:52 

Quote:
My problem was trying to train a seventy two year old, mostly shake hands oriented mind that I was playing pen hold. I played pen hold in the late sixties and a little into the early seventies. That was a J/K style, but I had mostly raw wood on the back of the blade with a small cork grip area and would occasionally throw in shots off the wood.

It is good that at your age you are enjoying the game and still trying different styles and equipment.
:D
Quote:
I liked the anti-loop and using it to attack and aggressively return serves was worth it to me.

Well, that's one of the objective of trying out antispin - attack and return serves. 8)

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2011, 10:52 

Seems like it is much tougher to play with "Antispin" than with any other rubber. So far I have not been able to put 3 volleys on the table consistently :| I will try again after next week and see whether it will get better. :)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!