OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 18:04 
Super User

I have a an old Anti special from the Doc which I purchased a few years ago. Haven't done much with it but dug it out of the drawer today and was thinking of trying it with another sponge. I think the pink sponge it comes with is too hard. I have it in 0.6 mm, but am thinking of trying a sponge with at least 1mm thickness. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried different sponge combinations with their antis?

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 02:49 

I tried it with a sponge of an old Tony Hold ( Joola) 1.5 mm of thickness and then glued on a Re-impact Tachi (classic) . I discovered a new world, finally I tamed my Anti Special (really a crazy horse!!!!) . The tamers of my “horse” were the exceptional wood of Achim Rendler and the magic soft sponge of Tony Hold. The gain in control was about 30-40% , the loss in speed was 20% and the reverse of spin was almost equal ( for the exception of Nightmare and Timeless that I don’t know, I think Anti Special and ABS have the best reverse of spin of the all Anti in commerce). Ciao

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 05:06 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
Don't forget about Doc's animals, and Joola's Amy.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 07:17 

Apiolae wrote:
I tried it with a sponge of an old Tony Hold ( Joola) 1.5 mm of thickness and then glued on a Re-impact Tachi (classic) . I discovered a new world, finally I tamed my Anti Special (really a crazy horse!!!!) . The tamers of my “horse” were the exceptional wood of Achim Rendler and the magic soft sponge of Tony Hold. The gain in control was about 30-40% , the loss in speed was 20% and the reverse of spin was almost equal ( for the exception of Nightmare and Timeless that I don’t know, I think Anti Special and ABS have the best reverse of spin of the all Anti in commerce). Ciao

Not really. If I compare the mentioned anti sheets, I can say ABS has a little spin reversal and Nightmare has a huge one.
Difference is something like as Yes or No.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 18:53 
Super User

For comparing antis regarding reversal, one may always consult MNNB's concise summary in viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11598

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 18:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I always felt the ABS reversal was very good!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 19:02 
Super User

I would say, it is quite good, but by far not leading the herd.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 23:00 

Yes, you are right the feeling is always subjective as your, Slick and my opinion showed also about ABS'reversal: " very good" and "quite good, but by far not leading the herd ". And one year ago I said not really good when I took off from my blade.
Yes, I have already read MNNB's comprison of anti sheets and I recommend it to anyone just because a standard work. I can totally agree with this stuff.

In addition, I would like to describe why I simplified down ABS and Nightmare's spin reversal with "yes or no".
Played with ABS, When I got a small or a little bit loop from my opponent, I was able to block this ball and hereby I got a small reversal, but my opponent was always able to loop again and again until this When at a huge loop I could not find the right angel to block the ball to the table. The ball flew far from the table. At this point I did not care ABS' reversal.
This meant that"No".

In other case played with Nightmare. Nightmare can handle the small and weak loops in the same way than ABS, but the much bigger topspin is a totally other animal.
The ball can sink into the Nightmare's sponge only for a moment and after this I was able to send back the ball with excellent reversal. It is not possible loop this ball again, only into the net. This reversal was only comparable to the banned frictionless LP.
So, until this only Nightmare has been able to force my opponent to stop him next topspin. There is no limit, It is always possible to find the angle block back the ball with Nightmare.
This meant that "Yes"
Against no spin ball is another question.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 06:41 

pal wrote:
Yes, you are right the feeling is always subjective as your, Slick and my opinion showed also about ABS'reversal: " very good" and "quite good, but by far not leading the herd ". And one year ago I said not really good when I took off from my blade.
Yes, I have already read MNNB's comprison of anti sheets and I recommend it to anyone just because a standard work. I can totally agree with this stuff.

In addition, I would like to describe why I simplified down ABS and Nightmare's spin reversal with "yes or no".
Played with ABS, When I got a small or a little bit loop from my opponent, I was able to block this ball and hereby I got a small reversal, but my opponent was always able to loop again and again until this When at a huge loop I could not find the right angel to block the ball to the table. The ball flew far from the table. At this point I did not care ABS' reversal.
This meant that"No".

In other case played with Nightmare. Nightmare can handle the small and weak loops in the same way than ABS, but the much bigger topspin is a totally other animal.
The ball can sink into the Nightmare's sponge only for a moment and after this I was able to send back the ball with excellent reversal. It is not possible loop this ball again, only into the net. This reversal was only comparable to the banned frictionless LP.
So, until this only Nightmare has been able to force my opponent to stop him next topspin. There is no limit, It is always possible to find the angle block back the ball with Nightmare.
This meant that "Yes"

Fantastic, Pal, I am agree with Haggisv about the reversal of ABS ( and anti Special too) but if you say that the difference in reversal between ABS and Nightmare is so huge, I must buy it absolutely!!
Regarding "animals" of the Doc, I tried them in the past but I found them as a "crazy Grizzly" and a "crazy Gorilla" rubbers without control! for Amy Control version, I can say that is... without control and has less reversal in comparison with Doc "animals" Ciao a tutti

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 07:09 

Apiolae wrote:
pal wrote:

This meant that"No".

This meant that "Yes"

Fantastic, Pal, I am agree with Haggisv about the reversal of ABS ( and anti Special too) but if you say that the difference in reversal between ABS and Nightmare is so huge, I must buy it absolutely!!
Regarding "animals" of the Doc, I tried them in the past but I found them as a "crazy Grizzly" and a "crazy Gorilla" rubbers without control! for Amy Control version, I can say that is... without control and has less reversal in comparison with Doc "animals" Ciao a tutti

I can agree with you. Gorilla has a nice reversal but the no spin balls are uncontrollable with it.
The Nightmare is much more dangerous than ABS. If you love your ABS, You will love Nightmare much better.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 16:34 
Super User

pal wrote:
The Nightmare is much more dangerous than ABS. If you love your ABS, You will love Nightmare much better.
There is always an individual balancing act between control and danger. Thus, not necessarily a person who loves ABS will love Nightmare even more.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 21:11 

Slick wrote:
pal wrote:
There is always an individual balancing act between control and danger. Thus, not necessarily a person who loves ABS will love Nightmare even more.

Yes, You are right Slick regarding control and danger, but first of all I thought only the reversal.
I was not able to stop next loop of my opponent with ABS. After two-three loops the well-skilled attacker smashed the ball on my side. Nightmare is one of the frictionless antis which able to control the power loops at the table. This is the most important difference.

In other case the most of antisheet struggle against no spin ball. At the table ABS is contollable in one of the best way against no spin ball and small loop, but I think I am able to do this on a similar level with Nightmare. There is no observable difference between them, as my wiew.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 00:02 
Super User

Though having played anti since decades, I could not manage a reasonable response to dumb balls with the Nightmare even after half a year of practice. That's why I switched to Timeless which offers the best of two worlds: Control as Toni Hold and - if cleaned well - reversal almost as Nightmare. However, that is the solution for me, not necessarily for everybody else.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 08:03 

Slick wrote:
Though having played anti since decades, I could not manage a reasonable response to dumb balls with the Nightmare even after half a year of practice. That's why I switched to Timeless which offers the best of two worlds: Control as Toni Hold and - if cleaned well - reversal almost as Nightmare. However, that is the solution for me, not necessarily for everybody else.

Until this I compared the reversal of only Nightmare and ABS and I did not say Nightmare is a solution for me. Now I am playing with long pip. I only said if anyone loved the ABS, that will love Nightmare better at the table.
I have not tried out yet TL therefore I do not have opinion about it. Of course It would be find to try out this sheet, but I do not know what does "cleaned well" mean ? How long does reversal take after cleaning? Is it important "clean well" before all matches or enough once a week? This sheet an extreme expensive and is it not possible to buy a quiet spin reversal in the original package? :lol: